The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-31-2022, 05:52 PM

Might be worth going back to your tech and bringing the preamp and guitar. I'm guessing when he sees it all together, it'll be an easy fix.
Old 01-31-2022, 07:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smossy View Post
I am still kinda suprised that I'm getting absolutely no signal though w/ the ground wired to the sleeve. It must be that the hot wire is wired both to the ring AND sleeve that is totally messing things up. Anyways thanks again.
Not a surprise at all, the mic isn't getting any power, and you're shorting out the connection to Felix. Imagine you plug a lamp into a 110 volt wall outlet, but you somehow have 1 of the prongs connected to both sides of the outlet. The lamp won't get any power flowing, and you'll get a nice spark from shorting out the outlet, and probably blow a fuse as well!
Old 05-30-2022, 03:28 PM

Hi all,

Thanks so much for all the help! I finally got this setup working - it's awesome to be able to blend in the mic with the K&K.

Couple more questions - I'm using a volume pedal (hilton pro). My chain is:

acoustic guitar -- volume pedal -- Grace Felix -- PA

Do I need two balanced cables in this setup? One from the guitar to pedal, and the other from pedal to Grace Felix? I tried with only one balanced cable and I don't think the dual-source system was working, so guessing I need two balanced cables?

I remember reading there was a Felix setting where you could set volume boost to be for only one channel (i.e. just the pickup). Does this only work with the stock Felix boost, or if I use an external boost pedal, is there a way to set the Felix so that the external pedal only boosts the pickup and not the mic? Does anyone remember where exactly this setting is on the felix?

Thanks so much in advance.
Old 05-30-2022, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Do I need two balanced cables in this setup? One from the guitar to pedal, and the other from pedal to Grace Felix? I tried with only one balanced cable and I don't think the dual-source system was working, so guessing I need two balanced cables?
I'm not sure I understand your setup, but my guess would be that the volume pedal isn't passing thru the bias voltage for the mic. I don't actually see how it could. I'd put the volume pedal in Felix's effects loop. Your guitar needs to go directly into Felix for it to power the mic.

Quote:
I remember reading there was a Felix setting where you could set volume boost to be for only one channel (i.e. just the pickup). Does this only work with the stock Felix boost, or if I use an external boost pedal, is there a way to set the Felix so that the external pedal only boosts the pickup and not the mic? Does anyone remember where exactly this setting is on the felix?
I don't remember off-hand, but Felix has an extensive and well-written manual. I'd check there. If you have Felix2, it has separate effects inserts for each channel, so you could place an external boost pedal in the pickup channel. But Felix may support this by itself, the manual is well-worth a read.
Old 05-30-2022, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I'm not sure I understand your setup, but my guess would be that the volume pedal isn't passing thru the bias voltage for the mic. I don't actually see how it could. I'd put the volume pedal in Felix's effects loop. Your guitar needs to go directly into Felix for it to power the mic.

I don't remember off-hand, but Felix has an extensive and well-written manual. I'd check there. If you have Felix2, it has separate effects inserts for each channel, so you could place an external boost pedal in the pickup channel. But Felix may support this by itself, the manual is well-worth a read.
I run a volume pedal in the insert of my Grace Felix (original) and it works great for dual source.
Old 05-31-2022, 02:11 AM

The Felix2 offers boost for pickup only by setting one of the internal jumpers. Therefore you have to open the chassis and set it up as described in the manual. Not a big deal and described in detail in the manual. That's how I use my Felix 2.
Read in the manual at "10 Adjusting the internal jumpers": J3 - enables / disables the Boost control on CH1. Set to ENABLEat the factory. You change the jumper setting and get the boost disabled an Ch1 which is the mic channel.

For an external volume pedal or solo boost you use the insert on the front side of the Felix 2 (as described by Doug Young above). Felix 2 offers separate inserts for channel 1 and 2, the original Felix does not.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 12-19-2023, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks so much for all the help! I finally got this setup working - it's awesome to be able to blend in the mic with the K&K.

Couple more questions - I'm using a volume pedal (hilton pro). My chain is:

Thanks so much in advance.
Could you please tell us what eventually worked for you? What made it finally work?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification