The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-26-2023, 01:22 PM

Default Undersaddle pickup removal - fill hole?

I've bought an old guitar with an undersaddle pickups system which I'm thinking about removing.

I tried to test it, but the battery terminals were corroded, and one of them snapped off the battery. I could fix that part of the system by soldering on a new battery clip. However, I've never been too keen on the sound I hear from undersaddle pickups, and I'm now less keen on having an active system with an onboard battery.

If I do install a pickup, it's probably going to be either a soundboard transducer or a soundhole pickup.

The guitar has a small drilled through the bridge, top and bridgeplate for the pickup wires. Is it necessary to fill this if I remove the pickup, and if I want to fit a soundboard transducer? It might be a daft question, but I seem to remember reading installation instructions for a soundboard transducer which mentioned not placing them over a hole. If it does need to be filled, what's the best option?
Old 12-26-2023, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayen View Post
I've bought an old guitar with an undersaddle pickups system which I'm thinking about removing.

I tried to test it, but the battery terminals were corroded, and one of them snapped off the battery. I could fix that part of the system by soldering on a new battery clip. However, I've never been too keen on the sound I hear from undersaddle pickups, and I'm now less keen on having an active system with an onboard battery.

If I do install a pickup, it's probably going to be either a soundboard transducer or a soundhole pickup.

The guitar has a small drilled through the bridge, top and bridgeplate for the pickup wires. Is it necessary to fill this if I remove the pickup, and if I want to fit a soundboard transducer? It might be a daft question, but I seem to remember reading installation instructions for a soundboard transducer which mentioned not placing them over a hole. If it does need to be filled, what's the best option?
My opinion is to not worry about or fill the hole as it will not affect tone or structural strength.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 12-26-2023, 01:46 PM

Leave it in case anyone wants to use an undersaddle in the future.

Holes are drilled at the end of the saddle slot so it will not be in the same location as a soundboard (bridge plate) transducer, normally located directly under the saddle between bridge pin centers.
Old 12-26-2023, 02:26 PM

Thanks very much!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification