The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-30-2023, 04:15 AM

Default Mould inside acoustic - any suggestions?

I recently bought this Eastman E20OM (2013) from EBay - it plays beautifully and sounds awesome. But upon taking off the strings and looking inside the soundhole, I found what appears to be some mould (British spelling ) that has developed inside, mostly on the back of the guitar.

I've done some Googling and found a few possible solutions. So far I've tried cleaning inside using a cloth with some distilled white vinegar but the layer of mould stills seems to be there. I might even be wrong but I took it to a guitar tech who seems to agree that it is mould.

Wondering if anyone has experience of this? And if so, did you find a good way to resolve it without damaging the guitar? Thanks!

Old 07-30-2023, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

No expert here, but it looks like it is in the grain a bit. You probably already killed it with the vinegar, so why worry?

The only way I could think to get it out would be something like a toothbrush. Doubt it is worth it.
Old 07-31-2023, 03:09 AM

It doesn't look like mould to me. But I am far from any mould expert. It looks as though the rosewood had been "degreased" though.

Last edited by Henning; 07-31-2023 at 03:14 AM.
Old 07-31-2023, 11:52 AM

Default a thought

My first reaction - - - dust/grunge from storage..How old is this guitar, and did it get parked/stored somewhere 'out' and not in a case or gig bag?
Old 07-31-2023, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

this does not look like mould at all to me. looks like the guitar got too dry and white spots are the result as the moisture inside the wood escaped. common to see it on the unfinished wood (inside of guitar) in a guitar that was not humidified properly...but im also not an expert, i just have a bought a whole lot of improperly humidified guitars in my life.

1929 SS Stewart Pro Archtop
1921 G Houghton Archtop Banjo
2007 George Rizsanyi Custom Maple Banjo Killer
2017 James Malejczuk Custom OM Black Limba
1980 Norman B50-12
Norman B-20
Recording King single 0
1996 Takamine
1967 Yam G-130 Melvina
1980s Seagull S6 Cedar
2003 Briarwood
1970s Eko Maple
1982 Ovation
2020 Fender Telecaster
Mandolin
Yam THR5A
Sienna 35 Kustom
Old 07-31-2023, 01:49 PM

That vaguely looks like the kind of staining that occurs when a HumidiPak leaks -- I've seen it happen. If it was a minor leak and they wiped up the salt solution promptly and thoroughly, it would not leave much residue other than the stain. Not sure if it is really mould.
Old 07-31-2023, 06:40 PM
Charter Member

I just posted a similar thread and was told to try adding baking soda. I did that and the mold smell has almost vanished- unfortunately the baking soda is happily taken residence in the guitar. My mold was black spots on white wood- not sure what I see in your pics- smell will indicate mold.
Schecter California Classic Strat 1990s
Old 07-31-2023, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
My first reaction - - - dust/grunge from storage..How old is this guitar, and did it get parked/stored somewhere 'out' and not in a case or gig bag?
Good to know! It’s about 10 years old, and I’m not sure where it was stored before it came into my possession but I do know that the cardboard box it was transported in got wet overnight during shipping. When I opened it up, none of the moisture seemed to have gotten into the hard case but who knows.

The interesting thing is that when I cleaned it with white vinegar, the lighter coloured “dusty” effect disappeared for a few minutes and then came back again when the wood dried.
Old 07-31-2023, 10:42 PM

Has that area of the back ever had any finishing oil, such as linseed oil rubbed on it?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
acoustic, eastman, humidity, repairs