The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-17-2014, 07:31 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceGuitars View Post
When you're able to pull yourself away from the guitar, Rixter, please let us know your thoughts
I think maybe he fell inside the soundhole.....

Old 01-21-2014, 11:04 AM

Hi all, just wanted to give an update on my new Charis Masterpiece! I just got some time this week end to spend with her.

Originally I told Bill that I wanted him to create my dream guitar which meant aesthetically, sonically and playability. Well he not only nailed it but surpassed it! When I initially opened the phenomenal Hoffee case( that will be another review) I just stared at it. It took my breath away and could not believe that it was actually mine. It is one of the most gorgeous guitars that I have ever personally seen! Bill's fit and finish are second to none and the construction and finish is as perfect as I can tell. Bill's pictures are excellent but still don't do it justice! The Sinker top is just gorgeous and pairs beautifully with the Striking Brazilian back and sides. I originally was worried that the T'Zalam binding that I had chosen would be too light. I was worried for nothing it goes great with the Sinker and Brazilian.

The playability is phenomenal. I was already aware of this as a previous Charis owner. The Charis neck is my favorite profile and it is such a pleasure to play. I love Bill's set ups and for me they are on the money. One of the few guitars that I don't have to adjust the action. The ease in playing this guitar is just incredible.

Now for the sound. This is my first Sinker topped guitar. I had played and heard a few in this Sinker/ Brazilian combination really thought that this was the sound I was after. After discussing it with Bill he agreed and we were both right. This guitar sounds as striking as it looks! It has sparkling sweet trebles, lushious mids and a wonderful rich deep Bass. The clarity of each note is incredible. It is phenomenally responsive to the lightest touch and the sustain goes on forever. I played it in drop tunings and it is just awesome just wonderful. I knew that the 25.6 scale length would help in this department. Its very hard to believe that this guitar has just been strung up! The best thought is that this guitar is only going to get better as it opens up!!

I am still getting to know her and will be spending some serious time playing her. Took some pictures but didn't come out as well as I liked. I wish I was a better photographer such as Jon or Mau so I could do this beauty justice. Overall the build has been the best experience and dealing with Bill has just been awesome. I want to publicly thank Bill for building my Dream guitar! I would like to think that he worked extra hard on my build but the truth is that he works that hard on every build always striving for his best effort. He is truly a Master and one of the most talented Luthier's on the planet so if you are looking for your Dream guitar its only a phone call away!
2014 Charis SJ Florentine Cutaway(Sinker/Braz)
2015 Martin Custom OMDBH (Adi/Koa)
2017 Razo #20 Florentine Cutaway (German/Madagascar)
Old 01-21-2014, 11:48 AM
Musical minimalist

I wouldn't have expected anything less than full bliss with your build - great woods and a great builder!! The aesthetic on yours is one of the best I've seen in a long time. Glad you are happy with it!

I'm sorry I missed the chance to get to play this one (and Jon's). The consolation was getting a nice session this morning with the Curatinga. I'll post about that on the build thread shortly.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:26 PM
Guest 213

Rixter, that's so great to hear! I was sure you would be more than pleased with it in every respect.

It's not a contest, so I would really like to see you upload your pictures. We're here to drool over the guitars, not critique the photographer

Would be great to hear some audio of it too if you're set up to do that. I'm going to start recording mine tonight and hopefully have some stuff finished and uploaded by the weekend.

I've never played a guitar with a sinker top. They sure do look luscious though!

Quote:
When I initially opened the phenomenal Hoffee case( that will be another review) I just stared at it. It took my breath away and could not believe that it was actually mine.
Been there; done that

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop