The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 03-12-2023, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post

No polar bears sighted! But a few reindeer. Hugely atmospheric ski touring above the fjords, lots and lots of powder, and weather!!! I took this photo a couple of hours ago on a summit we skinned up to above Tromso.

OK, now back to wonderful arch tops.
Cracking photograph, Robin. Get that one on your wall.

Auden Chester 45
Eastman AC322ce
Sigma SDM-SG5
Deering Goodtime Leader O/B banjo
Epiphone IBG SG (in cool dude black)
Old 03-12-2023, 11:09 PM

Amazingly lovely photo!!
Old 08-14-2023, 05:11 PM

Having just bought an L Jr., and as the long time owner of an L50, I agree with Robin. Though jazz is my favorite genre (Prog rock runs a very close second, and growing up in the 70s and 80s, various classic rock/folk), I’ve found my archtops to be very versatile. “Horse With No Name” and “Ventura Highway” sound as good on archtops as they do on dreads.

An exact replica of my L Jr. (and it was a student grade instrument when new) should be a viable commercial proposition if priced comparably to the current L00. Similarly, an L50 (high student grade/low pro grade when new) remake could surely retail for the price of a J45 Studio. That’s about what they go for these days.

That said, Harmony/Kay grade pressed tops can be wonderful instruments: I’ve had two Harmony Montereys over the years, one of which was in showroom condition. Great sound and playability; in some ways, it reminded me of a Martin 000. I haven’t played a Godin 5th Avenue, but I suspect it sounds similar.

As Steve reminded me in another thread, Gibson made high priced pressed top instruments, the Venetian and the L9, about eight years ago. Both were electric. Maybe a pressed top version of the L Jr. or L1 would be cost effective. I can’t imagine that such instruments would cost significantly more than anything in the current G series, and probably less.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops