The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 01-28-2023, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

Default Ukulele action

What’s a normal, factory height range? I’m looking at some vintage baritones and they are all 4/32” or higher. As a guitar player that seems high. So, im
Old 01-29-2023, 11:44 AM

the action is to 'personal taste' =your 'musical preferance'= whatever suits you 'specifically'=that is the 'norm!'
Old 01-29-2023, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

Default Let me rephrase

Are ukuleles traditionally set up higher than guitars? For example, flamenco guitars are set up quite lower than classical guitars.

I appreciate the response. Im not asking about preferences.
Old 01-29-2023, 05:36 PM

In my experience ukes have a low-ish action. Definitely not difficult to fret, if that's the question.
Old 01-30-2023, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

Uke neck angles are typically under set compared to guitars so the action measures higher. The string tension is so much less than a guitar that the string height does not matter as much. If a uke was set up with your preferable guitar action measurements it would probably buzz like crazy.
Old 01-31-2023, 08:11 PM

3mm at the 12th fret is pretty good for me most of the time.
Old 02-01-2023, 10:05 PM
Charter Member

Default This makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SColumbusSt View Post
Uke neck angles are typically under set compared to guitars so the action measures higher. The string tension is so much less than a guitar that the string height does not matter as much. If a uke was set up with your preferable guitar action measurements it would probably buzz like crazy.
I appreciate the useful info. This is what I was looking for.
Old 02-02-2023, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh42 View Post
3mm at the 12th fret is pretty good for me most of the time.
I write from experience performing on uke, and knowing several professional uke players and playing their instruments.

There's a general consensus that 3mm is about the maximum action height for strumming a soprano uke (translates to around 4/32 inch). Experienced and professional players tend to set their soprano action around 2.5mm or a fraction lower (around 3/32). Depends partly on choice of strings.

I'd use the same numbers for concert ukes.

Tenors are often used for melodic style with fast runs, and for this can be set up with high tension strings and an action around 2mm (would that be 5/64?) or even rather lower (I've not come across anything below 1.5mm, 4/64). I've handled one of Jake Shimabukuro's ukes, and I didn't measure it but would estimate it's set between 1.5 and 2mm.

If you're strumming a tenor, 2.5mm would be a good number.

Baritones, 2.5mm to 3mm (longer strings, quite low tension).

Factory-supplied ukes tend to come with high action to reduce the risk of them buzzing as they settle in the shop, especially at the nut, so I wouldn't take that as any guide to what works well for a player!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments