The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-14-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeguam View Post
So I've had the guitar in 75% RH since I started this thread, here is how it looks now:

I see from this picture that the top is slab cut. One of the reasons for using quarter sawn tops, backs and sides is to minimize the dimensional change that occurs across the width of the board. Slab cut maximizes that.

In plain language, that means that changes in humidity will result in more dimensional change than if it were quartered. In some species of wood it can be considerably more, increasing the susceptibility to splitting as a result of humidity changes and reducing stability. Mango has a tangential-to-radial shrinkage ratio of 2.2, meaning that it changes dimension 2.2 as much in its tangential (slab cut) direction than its radial (quarter sawn) direction, for the same change in humidity. For a 16" wide top or back, for example, that can be substantial.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfden1 View Post
Beautiful looking top. So, is that mango wood, and how does it sound?
Yes, this guitar has solid mango wood for the top/back/sides. When I first bought the guitar, it sounded "okay", not anything great. Again, this was a cheaper/beater purchase that I made while on an international vacation trip in Cebu, Philippines. I actually made the purchase more for looks/aesthetics/appointments (paua abalone inlays, etc.) than its sound. There were some build flaws that I had to fix and upgrades sorely needed:
- the bridge pins were too small for the pin holes, bought some factory seconds bone pins from Bob Colosi
- the string slots in the nut were cut to depth correctly, however the taper from bass to treble was real bad, causing discomfort and intonation issues
- the slot in the headstock for the nut wasn't cut level so it rocked on a fulcrum under the D string slot, had to level this square to the fretboard
- the nut and saddle had very sharp corners that caused discomfort
- shipped with a non-compensated B string saddle, so installed a blank bone saddle from Bob Colosi and compensated the B string to fix intonation issues
- the tuning keys were cheap/generic geared tuners from China and also had a cracked button...so I slapped on some spare gold Taylor (Ping) tuners I had in my toolbox
- installed a Loxx strap lock on the endblock (don't trust the strap jack on regular endpins)
- slapped on Elixir phosphor bronze lights
- installed a K&K pure mini (passive)

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
I see from this picture that the top is slab cut...In plain language, that means that changes in humidity will result in more dimensional change than if it were quartered.
Thanks Charles, this is the part of woodworking that I do not have much knowledge and wouldn't be able to recognize at a glance. I guess you get what you pay for with purchases like this...but it sure looks glamorous, haha!

After all the work done, I spent about $135 and about a days work...then was completely blown away at the sound! To ensure I wasn't just being biased after the money I spent and work put in, I did a test on my wife (who was with me when I purchased it in Cebu). I pulled it out the case at a sudden, strummed a hard open E chord, and she actually said: "Did you buy another guitar?!! Where did you get that!?" (This is eluding to the fact that I've had a few instances of GAS this past year and she's pulled the reigns a bit.) Furthermore, this thing sounds even better plugged in! I have to EQ a significant cut of about 12dB right at 800hz (normal for K&K pure minis), but it's ridiculous how such a cheap guitar can sound so good plugged in. Just for fun, and to prove to my Dad (my biggest critic) how good it sounded, I've used it for 2 gigs now (one worship and one bar gig). At the bar gig, someone actually said: "Wow that guitar sounds fabulous and looks amazing, it must have costed a pretty penny huh?" You should've seen the look on his face when my wife told him it's worth less than $300! Best part is, my dad showed some approval expressions (which is all that's needed!).

So, just like I've developed special care and maintenance routines for my premium guitars and ukes, I have a special setup for this guy too. He stays in 70% RH or higher and is the first choice for my poolside or beachside gigs.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
humidity, relative humidity