The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Woops, hmmm, I......, looks like I might be in some trouble...
Go for it, Tom. Paua is the top stuff. Most colourful and very photogenic.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:28 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Woops, hmmm, I......, looks like I might be in some trouble...
In trouble? Goodness no. Luthiers don't have that much power.
Now I might be in trouble if we don't get this just right.
So we'll keep hammering.

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 05-31-2015, 10:08 PM

Tom
My OM is a paua fest! Red paua, green paua, abalone everywhere! Not only is it tastefully done but it is a show stopper! Trust in Steve, the great and powerful OZ! It will turn out great!
Martin J-41
Old 06-01-2015, 05:58 AM

Sounds fantastic, any chance you could post a pic or two?
Old 06-01-2015, 08:44 AM

Tom
I will try to get a couple up if I can, I have not posted a picture before so I will try to figure it out, I have a great one of Steve and Ryan at the shop with my guitar. In the meantime if you go to you tube and type in:
Steve Kinnaird guitars Healdsburg interview 2011 he displays and describes my guitar. Short interview but great.
Martin J-41
Old 06-01-2015, 10:10 AM
AGF Sponsor

Here you go if you need the link: Dave's Honduran OM

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 06-01-2015, 12:01 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hey Tom, Steve here. Dave asked me to post this pic for him.
I do so with this disclaimer: my hair doesn't always look this good.

You might be wanting more of a close up. Of the guitar, not our hairdos.
Can you talk Dave into doing that?

Steve

Old 06-01-2015, 02:24 PM

Thanks Dave and Steve and Ryan for the pics and video...

The guitar looks great! Congrats Dave!

Let me see what can I say in terms of the hair,....at our age I think you should be happy that you have that much hair to get messed up!!! Shows you were hard at work at least. I bet it looks a tad bit better when officiating a wedding at least!
Old 06-01-2015, 02:39 PM

That guitar is beautiful. The inlays are perfect.
Old 06-01-2015, 02:48 PM

"So we'll keep hammering."

Steve[/QUOTE]

I love it! Just don't run out of nails...
Old 06-13-2015, 02:40 PM

Well, just so no one thinks we have forgotten this guitar. There was a little respite with Memphis of course. Lately Steve and I have been going back and forth with design ideas including finalizing the rosette design and working on different binding and purfling selections. There are so many options that will look nice that we just have to decide on which way we want to go. Right now we are looking at blending a slightly more modern look yet not losing the traditional style that Kinnaird is renown for.

I appreciate Steve and Ryan keeping me in the loop on the design. They have been great offering me options and ideas and listening politely to mine. I think in the end this will be stunning.

The one thing I am not worried about which is sort of ironic, is the sound. With the BRW and the Italian Spruce and the luthier I have chosen, I have absolutely no worries on that end of things. I know how good their guitars sound!!!

More to come soon hopefully. ie. they will keep hammerin

Thanks, Tom
Old 06-13-2015, 05:03 PM

Tom
To continue with the recent analogy, you have hit the nail on the head! No worries about the sound since you know it will be exceptional. I was lucky to purchase my OM already finished or I would have driven myself crazy with the details (short drive according to my wife). I'm sure you are having a great time tossing ideas back and forth with Steve and Ryan. Have fun with this, I'm sure it will be an outstanding guitar! More pics as you get them please!
Martin J-41
Old 06-14-2015, 10:48 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveac View Post
Tom
To continue with the recent analogy, you have hit the nail on the head! No worries about the sound since you know it will be exceptional. I was lucky to purchase my OM already finished or I would have driven myself crazy with the details (short drive according to my wife). I'm sure you are having a great time tossing ideas back and forth with Steve and Ryan. Have fun with this, I'm sure it will be an outstanding guitar! More pics as you get them please!
Thanks Daveac,

It sounds like you are really pleased with your OM (deep body, right?). Although I have never heard one in person, every recording I have heard of a Kinnaird has been very impressive with beautiful sustain and bass response.

In terms of the fun with ideas, I have to say, for me it has been a little stressful most likely due to my type A personality. I don't want to say that it has been so hard I would never do it again as I have read from others on this site in regards to their builds, but there are so many choices and trying to get it just right has been stressful. I have to keep telling myself that no matter what we do it will be great, but I am unlikely to be able to do this again financially so I am putting a little too much pressure on myself with each choice. I have to work to let that go and enjoy it more knowing the end result will be awesome.

I have documented many times that the rosette has been tough for me. I think between the three of us we are really close now. Ryan came up with a cool design, I offered a slight design change, and then Steve drew up a new one incorporating all the changes. In the end I think we are going to combine all three, Ryan's original, my suggested change, and Steve's more finalized vision and it should be great. The materials will be BRW, Koa, Paua, with bwb borders around various parts. It will be great. We still have to decide on the exact type of inlay which will also most likely end up in one form or another as fret board markers.

Now Steve has narrowed down the bindings and purflings to a couple of options. If you change something in the rosette, than those options change some etc. Again, I think both options will work great, but everything feeds from the other things so the choices are all fluid. I need to see the materials to decide as I have a hard time visualizing this just from saying we will use x and then y bordered with z, just because I don't do it all the time. Steve and Ryan have been great with that and will lay the materials out for me and then take a picture so I can see the actual materials and then it is much easier for me to decide.

So, it is fun, I know I will love the end result and it will be even more special for me knowing I will have played a small role in the design process. At the same time, I want Kinnarid guitars to be proud of the end result as well so I don't want to be so narrowed minded that I push anyone into building something they are not happy with.

Sorry for the rambling, I just wanted to give some insider insight into this process for anyone considering it. Steve and Ryan have been great and very patient. It is almost like they have done this before.
Old 06-14-2015, 02:16 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
That guitar is beautiful. The inlays are perfect.
Thanks Mau, the old designs are still appealing, aren't they?

Steve

Old 06-14-2015, 02:21 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ergoetal View Post
"So we'll keep hammering."

Steve
I love it! Just don't run out of nails...[/QUOTE]

Trying not to do just that, ergo. I view the rosette as the real focal point of the guitar, everything else keying off of that, or complimenting it somehow.
This project has from the first seemed special. That's why we're trying to nail it.

Steve

Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop