The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-30-2015, 10:08 PM

Default Leonardo Buendia - Thanks to Ervin Somogyi

Dear AGF people,

From the beginning I knew that belonging to the family of Ervin Somogyi’s apprentices would mean being in the hands of one of the best guitar makers that the field can offer. The whole team made me feel at home, setting the stage for a gratifying and motivating experience.

The quality of apprenticeship that I received was exceptional. The high level of craftsmanship, experience, and wisdom found in Ervin’s shop allowed me to learn all aspects of the construction of such a complex instrument in a remarkably simple and fluid way. I attribute this to Ervin’s natural inclination toward teaching as well as a generous willingness to answer my questions and be available to help me whenever needs arose.

My apprenticeship gave me theoretic and practical experience in the aesthetic design and the sounding of guitars. In Ervin’s shop, theory and practice happen under the same roof, which helped me quickly gain confidence when it came time to customize my own instruments. One of the things that fascinated me the most from the beginning was the process of learning to voice a guitar. Because my background had been with playing and building classical guitars, in Ervin’s work I immediately recognized and appreciated a sound quality similar to that of my roots. I knew that I was in the right place.

One of the most nourishing parts of my apprenticeship was the exchange of knowledge and experience that occurred with my apprentice peers Gustav Fredell, Hiroshi Ogino, Julian Gaffney and Tom Sans. I will look back at these years with the love and fondness in my heart that I have for each of them. I have special respect and admiration for Chris Morimoto, who was with me in the shop from my first days to the last, and whom I consider to be one of the most talented people in the marvelous art. He transmitted not only his meticulous construction techniques, but his view on how to approach every step of the process. I give profound thanks to the limitless generosity he showed me, and any success I have, I owe in part to Chris.

And of course, I give thanks to Ervin for giving me this opportunity to apprentice to him. At the close of these 3 years and three month, I begin to see how patiently he let me flounder, experiment, and grow. In his shop I found a home in the world that I will take with me wherever I go. There is no greater gift. My only hope is that I can honor him with every guitar I make.

Sincerely,

Leonardo Buendia

Last edited by Leo Buendia; 10-04-2015 at 12:02 AM.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:03 PM

Wonderfull tribute you Paid Leo, you are a great person and a gifted builder! Thanks for sharing!

"I strive to build my instruments with the finest Tone, Ergonomics & Aesthetics"

https://www.benjaminpaldacciguitars.com/
Old 09-30-2015, 11:46 PM

Congratulations Leo! You survived it
Old 10-01-2015, 12:54 AM

Hi Leo,

A much deserved tribute to Ervin.

"My only hope is that I can honor him with every guitar I make." The guitar you sent to me is the perfect tribute.

Its also good to hear some praise for Chris, he was very generous to me when I stayed at Ervin's workshop for a few days in 2009.

Last edited by Trevor M; 10-01-2015 at 04:11 AM.
Old 10-01-2015, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian Gaffney View Post
Congratulations, Leo!! The photos from your facebook remind me of the last visit to Oakland about 3 years ago.

Like Julian Gaffney said... you survived it and achieved high degree of luthiery that I can see from your amazing works.

I knew that you could make it and I believed into it. Enjoy having your own shop there with your awesome friends. I wish I can be there as well and hope to see my guitar at the show very soon

P.S. by the way, I love Julian Gaffney's work too. Keep your chin up!!
Olson SJ, #1 inlay
Leonardo Buendia OM Celtic
Petros Nouveau #4
Goodall CJ BRW

--------------------
Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul. ㅡPlato, The Republic
Old 10-01-2015, 04:45 AM

What, no pictures?
Old 10-01-2015, 05:22 AM

Here's a few.

Last edited by Trevor M; 10-02-2015 at 01:34 AM.
Old 10-01-2015, 01:55 PM
Charter Member

Your work looks stunning. I would love to hear one. I'm also in Oakland.
Old 10-01-2015, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

Leo! Well said.... Much respect.... Very glad we met and have a bun in the oven Many thanks to Ervin Somogyi and passing on the crafts.... Best of luck Leo, you're heading into a great direction!
Old 10-01-2015, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbenbenben View Post
Wonderfull tribute you Paid Leo, you are a great person and a gifted builder! Thanks for sharing!
Thanks Benjamin. I really appreciate your words. Looking forward to see you soon. Have a great Friday!
Old 10-01-2015, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian Gaffney View Post
hahah.. I did it, and it was great! A big hug my friend!
Old 10-01-2015, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) UK View Post
Hi Leo,

A much deserved tribute to Ervin.

"My only hope is that I can honor him with every guitar I make." The guitar you sent to me is the perfect tribute.

Its also good to hear some praise for Chris, he was very generous to me when I stayed at Ervin's workshop for a few days in 2009.
Thanks so much Trevor. I'm glad you like it so much. It is an outstanding instrument, I'm very happy with it.
Personally I think Chris is definitely one of the most talented underground guitar builders. I wish him the best in all his futures endeavors. He is very special to me.

Last edited by Leo Buendia; 10-03-2015 at 10:30 AM.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Kim View Post
Congratulations, Leo!! The photos from your facebook remind me of the last visit to Oakland about 3 years ago.

Like Julian Gaffney said... you survived it and achieved high degree of luthiery that I can see from your amazing works.

I knew that you could make it and I believed into it. Enjoy having your own shop there with your awesome friends. I wish I can be there as well and hope to see my guitar at the show very soon

P.S. by the way, I love Julian Gaffney's work too. Keep your chin up!!
Thanks so much for your words Justin. They are very rewarding. I can't wait to string your guitar up. I'm so excited about it.
Julian's work is immaculate, his craftsmanship is outstanding.

Last edited by Leo Buendia; 10-03-2015 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
What, no pictures?
Pictures Fred !!

Last edited by Leo Buendia; 10-02-2015 at 09:38 AM.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Your work looks stunning. I would love to hear one. I'm also in Oakland.
Thank you very much Juston. Whenever you have time give a call. I look forward to meeting you.
Best regards!

Last edited by Leo Buendia; 10-03-2015 at 10:35 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop