The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-25-2022, 11:04 AM

I have at least one guitar in every room in my house (except the bathrooms and kitchen). Some on wall hangers, some in cases tucked in a corner. A guitar is always about ten seconds away.

This keeps me playing a lot, and playing a lot of different instruments. It also helps me justify owning ten guitars!
Old 01-25-2022, 11:57 AM

Default Multiple Guitar Owners - Which one are you going to play today?

Small and light today. A Fender Paramount Limited Edition PM3 OM, Adirondack spruce and East Indian Rosewood with ebony fretboard, bridge, pins, tuner buttons and headstock overlay. Real mother of pearl and abalone headstock inlay with beautiful, delicate mother of pearl fret markers. How this guitar slipped under the radar with no one noticing is beyond me. A truly special instrument.

Last edited by Chickee; 01-25-2022 at 02:39 PM.
Old 01-25-2022, 12:27 PM

After several years of buying and selling guitars, I have now got a good selection that fits my needs.

Each of my 5 guitars have a purpose, so it will depend on what I will be doing on guitar, as to which one I will play.

My Martin GPC -16 R is my solo gigging guitar.
My Guild 8 string Baritone is a general purpose and gigging guitar.
I use my Round Neck Resonator as my main band guitar.
I have a beautiful Custom Handmade guitar that I use at Jams and other gatherings.
That leaves my beloved Martin D-35 to be played whenever I want my best sounding guitar to be heard in any situation.

So today it will be both my Martin GCP and my Guild 8 string, as I prepare for my solo gig on Thursday. Both will be used at that performance.
Old 01-25-2022, 01:17 PM

Probably some bossa on Taylor 214-ce nylon, and some bluegrass on the Alvarez MD-70.
Old 01-25-2022, 01:21 PM

The SCGC is gettin' the love today.
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 01-25-2022, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

I've already played my Waterloo WL-12, I expect I'll move on to the 00-28 later. I've got a guitar part I need to record and the Martin may be the right unit.

I did play a couple of my electrics while deciding what amp to use this weekend. here's one of them after restringing.

Old 01-25-2022, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

I’ve been sitting down with my Taylor 214DLX lately and I continue to be astounded at the tone and playability. With warmer strings it’s a great fingerstyle blues box and with 80/20s I know I can get that brighter signature tone if I want it. Not sure how they did it but the laminated rosewood makes it my most overtone-rich guitar, next to my SWOMGT. Play on!
Old 01-25-2022, 01:53 PM

I'm mainly just playing my Taran right now. With the humidity in my office being around 22%, I leave the Ryan in it's Calton case where the humidity is staying really stable and am playing the Taran while actively managing the humidity for it with a sound hole sponge system. It's working well so far...and the Taran needs more humidity management anyways since it's currently in a Hiscox case that isn't sealed well at all.
Searching for the right Esteban...
Old 01-25-2022, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post

I did play a couple of my electrics while deciding what amp to use this weekend. here's one of them after restringing.

Now you’re talkin’! That’s a beauty.
Old 01-25-2022, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)

This morning's guit-fiddle flavor was a Furch Yellow OOM in redcedar over EIR.

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually
Old 01-25-2022, 02:14 PM

Default Taylor Academy 10e

In Minnesota its too cold to keep the whole house humidifier above 37% (condensation on glass) and even two dedicated small humidifiers near the guitars struggle to keep 42% next to them. So the good guitars are in their cases, with their humidipaks in the spare bedroom closet and its a bit too daunting to get up, go in there, unpack them, etc etc.

So I pulled out the Taylor Academy 10e learner that I hadn't played for over two years. I didn't look back on it fondly, especially after getting a Martin 000-17sm and an Eastman ac922ce (the good guitars). But I played the Academy and dang, its pretty nice (yea, it needs new strings...). With its 15/16th scale, very light weight, and arm bevel it makes a really nice couch machine that I can leave out. It has a small neck and great action making it easy to play. Really easy! I imagine it sounds cheap (layered Sapele back & sides and small scale) but my hearing isn't really very good and comfort is the key.

Back when I got it, I tried to return it to GC 2 days after the allowable period. Nope, no dice, half price. So, I got a burr against GC and the poor Academy and into the case it went. Fast forward, glad I didn't get rid of it, its been a pretty good buddy these past few days. I imagine there's some jealousy in the closet.
Old 01-25-2022, 02:27 PM

Ok, so yesterday I played the D-41 and today we are going to play this one. I do try and rotate through my guitars.

1995 Collings D3H

Old 01-25-2022, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
98% of the time, its my Bourgeois. so that means the D41 doesn't get the plauing time it should.
I sure do love the look of your Amber tone D-41 Tnfiddler
Old 01-25-2022, 02:56 PM

I take care to play a different one of my four each day. The exception that I make is when/if I make a change, like different type of strings or an action change, I’ll play the newly configured one for two or three days to really try to hear if or how it changed the sound, so, basically I rotate on a daily basis, with the exception of that acoustic bass, which I’ll get around to one of these days.
Old 01-25-2022, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I am working on two songs today - one in standard tuning and one in Dropped D. My Wingert E is in standard and my Kramer Prairie Grass is in Dropped D so both will get a workout today and pretty much all week.
Best,
Jayne

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion