The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-27-2022, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
Personally, I don't like this price range. The instruments don't seem to offer more than $800 instruments and it's very close to "professional" model used instruments.

But my preferences are not your preferences, and with today's market maybe it's no longer that close to the better stuff. I also appreciate the desire to get another guitar. comfort level is incredibly important when it comes to spending larger chunks of money.

I would go with my tonal preference.
You have obviously read and understood my initial post.

Thank you for acknowledging that everyone is different and offering your expertise without judgement.

For the intended purpose, I'd be happy with any number of instruments mentioned in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prahanien View Post
My Eastman E10om is the best guitar I have owned and I have owned a few. I owned a Martin 000-18 at the same time. Played them back to back over a couple weeks. Sold the Martin. You could find a used E10om in your price range no problem.
Currently considering the TC variant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpharm View Post
+1 on Furch Blue series,
The Blue Sitka/Walnut sounds nice on the youtubes. I think the OM's are all 25 9/16 scale though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotom1052 View Post
If sitka over solid mahogany trips your trigger, I would say to take a look at the Alvarez Masterworks OM with your desired scale length. You could almost buy two of these on your budget, if you were willing to dispense with the electronics. This guitar priced with electronics AND a good setup, to include taking care of the sharp from the factory fret ends, should cost you under $1000 bucks with a hard-shell case.
Could afford a Loudbox or Acoustic Jr amp too. Thanks for the suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
Normally my default recommendation would be Larrivee OM-03 or OM-40

But, those are standard scale.

A few years ago you could have found a used Rainsong CH-OM for that price, but after those were discontinued prices rose considerably.

Honestly, I'd probably go with the Martin 000-13. There is nothing wrong with Martin's Mexican product.
I'm going to play the Martin at a shop locally.

To bad about the Larivee scale length. I looked at their website several times hoping that I misread or missed something. I really like these base on the specs, photos and youtube sound examples.

-Tim-
(OP)

Last edited by TTiimm; 01-27-2022 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-27-2022, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phydaux View Post
Sitka spruce top or the Adirondack spruce top? Torrified or not?

Like I said earlier I played an E6 OM-TC and wasn't impressed. I've always wondered if it was the torrified Alpine spruce, and if I would have liked it more if it had been sitka.

I'd really like to get my hands on an E10SS /v. I sometimes wonder if that would cure my jones for a 000-18/J-45.

I'd have to sell my guild D-25 though...
The E10om is Adi/mahogany. Not thermo cured. As has been mentioned before in this thread. The Martin 000-18 is a sound investment and you will likely always get your money out of it BUT I do not believe it to be a superior guitar to the E10om. I have owned a Martin D-35, HD-28, D-18 and 000-18. My Eastman is preferred over all of them. I had a Larrivee OM-05 that was my second best guitar. Better than any Martin or Taylor I owned. I would buy an E10ss/v yesterday but I have to have a 1 3/4 nut. It’s a 1 11/16. I owned an E10ooss/v. Amazing guitar. The tone was unreal. I just couldn’t get past the nut width
Old 01-28-2022, 08:29 AM

@all

Please know that every word of every post was read and every guitar mentioned in this thread was thoroughly researched and considered. I'm grateful to everyone who took the time to contribute.

I'm especially grateful to user @slaminsam who pointed out several Eastmans including the 2021 E10OM-TC pictured below which was ordered this morning.

The instrument exceeds my requirements on paper... Torrefied Adirondack/Mahogany, bone nut/saddle, ebony pins, open tuners, short 24.9" scale, etc. That the price was $100 below what I was willing to spend doesn't hurt either.

If it arrives in advertised condition and sounds anything like the review videos then it should be an amazing guitar to learn on and grow into.

-Tim-

Last edited by TTiimm; 01-28-2022 at 08:41 AM.
Old 01-28-2022, 09:43 AM

Congratulations on finding a guitar that met your criteria instead of having to change your criteria to find a guitar. She looks like a beauty!
Old 01-28-2022, 10:54 AM

Very Nice-looking guitar. Congratulations and enjoy!
Old 01-28-2022, 11:21 AM

Sweet! I love mine. It’s my only forever guitar. Mine is not TC but is about 7 years old and been played in A LOT so it has opened up beautifully. Hopefully yours will come a tad opened up already because of the TC.
Old 01-28-2022, 12:10 PM

I'm really looking forward to a wonderful thread about where to mount the strap button.

-Tim-

Last edited by TTiimm; 01-28-2022 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-28-2022, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTiimm View Post
I'm really looking forward to a wonderful thread about where to mount the strap button.

-Tim-
I would use Collings recommendation for strap button placement.

https://www.collingsguitars.com/img/...install-lg.gif
Old 01-28-2022, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaminsam View Post
I would use Collings recommendation for strap button placement.

https://www.collingsguitars.com/img/...install-lg.gif

That would deprive the internet of yet another great argument thread.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion