The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-27-2022, 07:28 AM

Default Anyone using Chordify app?

It’s a lot of fun, allowing you to play along with most any YouTube song while the chords scroll by on the screen. It’s not always 100% accurate, however, and most of the chords are basic first position when alternate fingerings might be better. Chordify won’t allow you to edit the chord fingerings, though, so I’m wondering if there is a similar app that will or any thoughts on how to get the most from the app.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Fender Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Old 01-27-2022, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

I used it just recently when I couldn't find the chords for an intro of a new cover we are doing in my go-to app, Ultimate Guitar, to which I subscribed. I was fairly impressed. The fact that it works by running any song available online including YouTube videos could be very helpful in figuring out difficult passages that are often not readily available on the UG app. I don't think it would replace UG as my gigging app but it certainly could be an additional tool to the quiver. I have not subscribed yet as I only needed it the one time but if I do find I am going to it more often I might subscribe as the annual rate is very affordable.
Old 01-27-2022, 11:55 PM

I've used it only a few times, because of its inaccuracy. It is a good resource when you have no idea what is being played. Once you know what chordify says, you can modify it if wrong.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 01-28-2022, 06:19 AM
Charter Member

All tutorials from old time sheet music to Chordify, Ultimate Guitar, eguitar, and even Youtube instructional videos must be viewed as a starting point.

They are all nothing more than someone's interpretation.

I always learned by ear. Striving for perfection first. Then altering to fit me.

Watched Tommy Emanuel the first time. He played some of the same covers as I do.

I'm thinking, that's not how it goes. But....It was very slick.

Everyone knew what he was playing.

I had an epiphany.

I look online, usually on ultimate guitar, to find progression and words, and transpose to a key I can match my vocal, and style to.

As far as how to play. In the end I play it like me.
Old 01-28-2022, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

I dont use the app but I use the free web page version and can store three songs actively - I do like it. Its not perfectly accurate but it helps me learn certain songs and it is fun

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 01-28-2022, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

I occasionally use Chordify as part of learning a new song (especially ones for which there is no tab or sheet music readily available). It's essentially a computer's digital interpretation of an audio signal (say a song on youtube) and I don't believe any human interpretation of a song occurs. Somewhat accurate, and a good tool to play along with a song that you're learning new. You can also stop, or go back to certain parts of the songs -- which I find to be useful in learning a new song. I think it's worth subscribing to if you frequently learn new songs. One tool in you toolbox.

Found this link for those interested in the technical "weeds" of how Chordify works ...

https://support.chordify.net/hc/en-u...t-is-Chordify-

Learning new music is always fun --- ENJOY !
Old 01-29-2022, 08:18 AM

I use chordify to quickly find the key of a song since I only have relative pitch.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write