The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 09:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
I have never played an Eastman I wanted to own. Every one has sounded dead and lifeless,

If you like how they sound, then you should buy one though.
This has been my experience as well, though I have only played 3-4 of them...I have played a few of their mandolins as well, and they sounded pretty good, but all of them were lacking something...And I really wanted to like their mandolins because of their prices...I'm not subscribing to the salesman's train of thought, only saying that the few Eastman guitars (and mandos) I have played did nothing for me. I'm sure there are some that would get my attention.

I remember playing a Larrivee acoustic for the first time and thinking, "what's the big deal?" and then sometime later I ran into another performer in the local circuit who had a Larrivee dread and I offered to buy his right then and there because it sounded and played so wonderful. And wouldn't you know it, he declined my offer. I did not low ball him either.

I simply cannot buy an acoustic guitar without playing it first. I have played enough of them to know they are each different, sometimes drastically different, even if they are the exact same model.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:16 PM
Charter Member

I have owned one and played many, like 20+. The E20D I owned was maybe the best dread I’ve ever owned, but sold it on a Martin hunt (and now regret, though I don’t regret buying the Martins - they are similar and not the same). The Eastmans hold their own in the sound and quality area, though the cases kind of suck. But I used my D18 case when I was taking it out:-)

I’m going to buy another Eastman some day, and I won’t be thinking about neck resets or what anyone else thinks. The shop I bought mine at is doing good business (basically a bluegrass instrument shop in Austin) and has a lot of happy customers ... meanwhile they’ve disontinued selling some well known American brand new instruments. And their guitar tech raved about them, he sees a lot of instruments in Austin (well he did before he left Austin last year). I agree mostly with the Collings comparisons — having owned two Collings, I preferred the Eastman tone, though the Collings quality is basically the best .... but I don’t think that’s an American advantage. I think that’s a paid advantage ... for the Collings price tag you should get that quality.

What did you think? That’s what matters. I notice the sentiment, with the exception of some of the same NBIMBY naysayers, has gradually shifted in AGF from previously cautious and more negative to mostly positive. The responses here today play that out.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 04-24-2018, 11:49 PM

I don’t own an Eastman but a dear friend and band colleague has a sunburst dread which is a lovely guitar, plays and sounds great. He is now seriously thinking about getting a semi-acoustic 335 style.

I did sound for a (professional) band about a year ago and the guitarist in that band used both an acoustic and a 335-style Eastman. They both sounded great.

My philosophy is you get the guitar that speaks to you. If you can’t afford it then wait until you can. Questions of resale value and costs 20 years down the line are for me irrelevant. Although it has happened (and I usually regret it) I don’t factor in selling guitars in my purchase assessments! The same goes for repair work - and you may never need to do the neck reset, even in 20 years...
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 04-25-2018, 02:14 AM

I freaking LOVE eastmans. Especially their e-series dreads. Can't go wrong with an eastman. Played e20D's and e10D's that sounded as good as a D28 / D18 but for 40% of the price.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:06 AM

I'll echo what RP said.

Whats the difference in his commission between a (insert high end brand here) and a cheaper Eastman?

Sounds like the guy would be better suited to car sales than guitar sales.

Last edited by Silurian; 04-25-2018 at 04:15 AM. Reason: Additional info.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
This advice you received is full of baloney.......Eastmans are very fine quality instruments....IMO, YMMV, etc.......
I have no dog in this fight as I use bolt-on neck guitars.

But the salesman's point is well taken, and would apply to entry level Martins or any sub-$1000 guitar with a glued-on neck.

Neck resets happen. It's almost a certainty, given enough time. Some Martins need one after just a few years. The likelihood of a reset has little to do with how good a guitar sounds or how easily it plays. In fact you may argue that lighter-built guitars, which tend to sound better, all else equal, are more likely to need one. My Klein needed one after about a year.

Neck resets are also invasive and pretty expensive on guitars with necks attached with glue.

Once that happens, would you spend $400-$600 to repair a guitar that cost $600-$1000? Many people wouldn't.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:20 AM

Timely thread. I am facing a neck reset on my early 2000's Avalon. Love the guitar and the value currently is probably in the $1500 -$1800 range, but the neck reset is a budget blow.

I have an appointment with Randy Hughes in Asheville tomorrow for an estimate. Hoping for a figure of $600 or less.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
But the salesman's point is well taken, and would apply to entry level Martins or any sub-$1000 guitar with a glued-on neck.

Neck resets happen. It's almost a certainty, given enough time. Some Martins need one after just a few years. The likelihood of a reset has little to do with how good a guitar sounds or how easily it plays. In fact you may argue that lighter-built guitars, which tend to sound better, all else equal, are more likely to need one. My Klein needed one after about a year.

Neck resets are also invasive and pretty expensive on guitars with necks attached with glue.

Once that happens, would you spend $400-$600 to repair a guitar that cost $600-$1000? Many people wouldn't.
^^^ - this is my position, too. I think that's all the salesman was saying. We don't know the question to which he was responding, but if it was something like, "I'm looking for a really good guitar that will hold up for years down the road without breaking the bank - what about Eastman?", then the salesman was doing his job.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:44 AM

If someone is worried that Eastman Acoustic Guitars are gonna fail some years down the road, has anyone bothered to check to see if neck re-sets are covered under their lifetime warranty?

I purchased my E20OM just about three years ago for $1,000. If it needed a neck re-set that wasn't covered under warranty, i wouldn't hesitate to have the work done even if the procedure cost $400-$600 as someone stated before. Seems to me that would help re-sale value if i was ever inclined to sell.
Tom
E20 OM-SB Eastman
Old 04-25-2018, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagebrush Tom View Post
If someone is worried that Eastman Acoustic Guitars are gonna fail some years down the road, has anyone bothered to check to see if neck re-sets are covered under their lifetime warranty?

I purchased my E20OM just about three years ago for $1,000. If it needed a neck re-set that wasn't covered under warranty, i wouldn't hesitate to have the work done even if the procedure cost $400-$600 as someone stated before. Seems to me that would help re-sale value if i was ever inclined to sell.
Tom
Seems to me it's part of the point. If the expected resale value is $600 (which isn't out of line with reality) and you spend $600 on a reset...
Old 04-25-2018, 08:54 AM
Guest 1928

Roger put it well, and that may have been exactly what the salesman meant. The conflict (conceptually) is between the monetary value of the guitar and the cost of repair. That can be decoupled from the musical utility of the instrument. Personally, I'd think of it this way...

Let's say that I have a guitar I like, and the value as a used guitar is $800. It needs $800 worth of work, but I could buy another that might need no work for $800. I may or may not like another example as much, but this one is a known quantity. If I'd be willing to pay $800 to buy the guitar that needed no repair, then I'd pay the $800 to put that one back in top playing shape. To me that's quite different than paying $800 for a used one that also needed another $800 in repairs.

This is more about guitars that cost the equivalent of a neck reset and new frets than it is about any particular brand or model.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
Seems to me it's part of the point. If the expected resale value is $600 (which isn't out of line with reality) and you spend $600 on a reset...
I thought i made it clear on what i would do. To me the value of this guitar was well over the cost when i first bought it. If you owned a Om-21, wouldn't you get a re-set on it if it needed it? That's how i feel about this E20OM. Whether most feel that it's a waste of money well that's their opinion and i respect it.
Tom
E20 OM-SB Eastman
Old 04-25-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob.B View Post
“For the price Eastmans are great, but years down the road when you need a neck reset the Eastman’s aren’t really worth it. Definitely not “lifer” guitars like Martins and Taylor’s etc. People won’t want to pay for a neck reset that the same price as the guitar.”
I was going to get a kitten, but the salesperson cautioned me that in 15 years, the cat could very well be dead.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:17 AM

Seems like it's more of a mindset than anything to do with the actual guitar itself. So people will buy a 70s or 80s D-28 for $1,500-$1,700, then pay someone $800 to completely overhaul it, instead of just buying a newer guitar that they might like a lot better for $800.

They think these Martins are worth putting money into, even though honestly the Eastmans and upper-tier Blueridges might be chosen as better guitars in a blind test. The Eastman is just as much a life-long guitar in terms of materials and quality, but people don't want to spend money on them because they ain't a Martin.

Banjo players are worse, though, because the instrument is so easily modified. Buy the nadir-era Gibson Mastertone (60s-80s) then go about switching parts in an attempt to make it sound as good as a $1,000 Recording King.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

I'm not clear on why the salesman is so sure that a neck reset will be needed. I've got a 39-year old Takamine that never needed one. If you like the guitar, the fit in your hand, and the overall sound, I'd buy it and maintain it well.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion