The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-22-2018, 02:01 PM

Default Which wood for an Laskin style armrest ?

Hi all,

What wood would you choose to go with spruce and madagascar rosewood for an armrest ? Given the same wood for binding.

I like the ebony binding/armrest, but a little too conventional. So I think I'll go with maple for my commission. But if you have suggestions (and pictures ) I may have another option !

Thanks !

Ben
Old 04-22-2018, 02:40 PM

satinwood might be nice.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:07 PM

It doesn't matter. It depends on the stain so that it doesn't clash with the colour of your guitar.

If it was available, I would like one with no stain/finish so I could do it myself and try to match my guitar as close as possible.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:52 PM

A little bump...
Old 04-23-2018, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

Steve Scheriff (Edwinson Guitars) has done some really nice arms rests with Macassar Ebony. For example, see this thread: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=443458
I think the color variegation is a striking alternative to black Ebony, but it'll depend on the overall aesthetic. A tea-stained flamed Maple would be appealing, too.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:14 PM
Charter Member

I have an Everett with African Blackwood back and sides. Carlos used koa on the armrest, binding, and heel. I really like the contrast.

Old 04-24-2018, 02:04 AM

I'd second that Koa recommendation. It would make a fine transition between the lightness of the spruce and the chocolate of the rosewood
Old 04-24-2018, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erithon View Post
Steve Scheriff (Edwinson Guitars) has done some really nice arms rests with Macassar Ebony. For example, see this thread: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=443458
I think the color variegation is a striking alternative to black Ebony, but it'll depend on the overall aesthetic. A tea-stained flamed Maple would be appealing, too.
What a skilled luthier. And a very kind guy by the way, I got in contact with him because he actually built a 7-string fanned fret guitar.

But I am leaning towards more contrast with the back and sides. I didn't know about the tea staining. One of my doubts with an armrest maple is the lack of contrast with the top...on the other hand, I find koa a little invasive aesthetically, for an armrest. So maybe a bit of staining on maple is the way to go.

Thanks for the input.

Ben
Old 04-24-2018, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua89 View Post
I'd second that Koa recommendation. It would make a fine transition between the lightness of the spruce and the chocolate of the rosewood
I agree with you about contrast, but as I said in the previous post, I find Koa to be "invasive", and aesthetically "heavy". I like the simplicity of maple looks. If that makes any sense...

Thanks !

ben
Old 04-24-2018, 01:02 PM

Got this mystery wood out of a box of ends and pieces at Rare Earth Hardwoods near my home. Made it myself. Guess I should have asked what it was, but I didn't care. I like it and I also wanted something other than Ebony. I like the color and grain being somewhere in between the Sitka Spruce and Mahogany. SANY0001.jpg
Old 04-25-2018, 03:32 AM
Charter Member

Nice wood choice Ben…..I had a spruce and Maddie build last year and am very happy with the guitar.

We thought about cocobolo for some variety on the binding and bevel but eventually decided that it would be a bit too much against the Maddie and opted for ebony instead. The ebony does have a bit of variation in it. It’s always personal taste of course and we were going for an understated guitar in part because it has some custom inlay as well. Here is the result (with some flash reflections in the ebony).

Col

Last edited by colins; 04-25-2018 at 03:49 AM.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:41 AM

j.blay, nice work! That wood might be one of the following:

-Cocobolo
-Pau ferro
-Desert ironwood
-Chechen
-Goncalo alves
-Figured ebony

But there's no way to know for sure.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion