The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-15-2017, 05:17 AM

Default Bridge Ramping

I have been doing some bridge ramping on a cheap model guitar. I have followed the advice from a webpage suggesting using a Dremel with a small drill bit. My attempts have not been great. Some chipping occurred on the top surface of the bridge, on the sides of the ramps, that has made the final result look rough and mediocre. I would hate to achieve that result on one of my high end guitars.
The poor result is largely due to my lack of skill and knowledge. One mistake I did was insert the drill, at an angle, into the bridge and draw the drill upwards. This undoubtedly contributed to the chipping, when the drill exited
Another guitar I have has ramps. They were done before I bought it. On a Yamaha FG580, a rather expensive guitar. Those ramps do not detract from the look of the guitar at all! They are perfectly cut! No chipping.
I'm starting to realise that a much more precise approach will be needed if I'm to achieve nice ramps.
I am starting to doubt whether the Dremel is the best way to go for this job.
I wonder if anyone would like to share some advice?

Last edited by kaspforeva; 12-15-2017 at 06:50 AM.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaspforeva View Post
I have been doing some bridge ramping on a cheap model guitar. I have followed the advice from a webpage suggesting using a Dremel with a small drill bit. My attempts have not been great. Some chipping occurred on the top surface of the bridge, on the sides of the ramps, that has made the final result look rough and mediocre. I would hate to achieve that result on one of my high end guitars.
The poor result is largely due to my lack of skill and knowledge. One mistake I did was insert the drill, at an angle, into the bridge and draw the drill upwards. This undoubtedly contributed to the chipping, when the drill exited
Another guitar I have has ramps. They were done before I bought it. On a Yamaha FG580, a rather expensive guitar. Those ramps do not detract from the look of the guitar at all! They are perfectly cut! No chipping.
I'm starting to realise that a much more precise approach will be needed if I'm to achieve nice ramps.
I am starting to doubt whether the Dremel is the best way to go for this job.
I wonder if anyone would like to share some advice?
A small saw and needle files...

Ebony especially is easy to chip-out.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 12-15-2017, 09:19 AM

IF you use a Dremel, use a fine burr or maybe diamond abrasive bit. DO NOT use anything that looks like an endmill or router bit or has flutes
Old 12-15-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
IF you use a Dremel, use a fine burr or maybe diamond abrasive bit. DO NOT use anything that looks like an endmill or router bit or has flutes
Or looks like a drill bit.

I use a small X-Acto saw in an X-Acto handle and needle files.

The back or razor saw blades work very well for nuts and saddles.

Old 12-15-2017, 10:55 AM

I generally use a 1/32" carbide dental bit or a jig saw blade. There are Dremel HSS engraving cutters that work OK.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair