The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-25-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman187 View Post
No, only if you hold the soldering iron in one position. I learned it from a guy who used virtually the same method on his banjo to "shrink" one of the tuner holes because his tuner was rotating.
"sloppy grommet syndrome"?.....over use/abuse ?...wow.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

I'd respond but cannot see the keyboard very well through the tears of laughter! You guys are great!
Old 02-25-2010, 12:11 PM

Ugh...you guys are unstoppable, I am trying my hardest to be good here, but y'all are not making it easy.
2009 Lanikai LU21
Dunlop shaker egg
Alesis DM10 Pro
Old 02-25-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman187 View Post
Ugh...you guys are unstoppable, I am trying my hardest to be good here, but y'all are not making it easy.
I hope your not suggesting someone is deliberately making it hard?
Old 02-25-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sligots View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I never had a reason or desire to fiddle with the thing. Is it common practice to mess with it?
I was told you'll go blind if you do.

Jim
Old 02-25-2010, 01:16 PM

I just got off the phone with my local luthier. He recommended rubbing the endpin real fast, and the moisture in your hand and the friction will make the endpin swell slightly, and will create a much tighter fit in the hole. He was a little aghast that someone would actually stick a soldering iron in their end pin hole. He said if you stick a soldering iron in your end pin hole as recommened, it will swell up so fast you couldn't drive an end pin in that hole with a hammer.

FNG

My Guitars:
http://community.webshots.com/user/fng45

04 Larrive J-09 Maple
04 Larrivee JV-05-12
04 Larrivee D-50
06 Guild D-50 Bluegrass Special
97 Guild DV-72
97 Guild DV-73
97 Guild Deco Custom Shop
91 Guild Nightbird CU
94 Guild GV-52
06 National Vintage Steel Tricone
Old 02-25-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNG View Post
I just got off the phone with my local luthier. He recommended rubbing the endpin real fast, and the moisture in your hand and the friction will make the endpin swell slightly, and will create a much tighter fit in the hole. He was a little aghast that someone would actually stick a soldering iron in their end pin hole. He said if you stick a soldering iron in your end pin hole as recommened, it will swell up so fast you couldn't drive an end pin in that hole with a hammer.
Did he mention anything about keeping the strap on? Also, what you describe seems like a lot of work and it may be helpful to get some help from a spouse or significant other if possible.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:42 PM

Has somebody already mentioned ginger root as a possible solution for the loose end pin problem ? My luthier turn me onto this a number of years ago and I swear by it. My only caution is to use it sparingly, trust me on this.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:42 PM

I once chatted with Mike Ness (lead guitarist of Social Distortion) about this exact issue. He had originally followed the advice of his brother, Paul, and gone with the gluing technique. Whilst ok, he too eventually went with the ginger root technique recommend by Frayne48 after his other brother, Andrew, insisted he give it a try. He now swears by it.

On an interesting side note, Ness was the original owner of the one-bedroom apartment described in The Adolescents song "Kids of the Black Hole". The punk house was located in Fullerton, California in the 1980s.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:51 PM

Just got off the phone with my luthier and he told me the correct term used in the trade for proper seating of the end pin using the ginger root method is actually called figging, supposedly named after some early 16th century practice luthiers developed in France.

Actually kind of surprised no one else is aware of this fix for loose end pins, also works when changing strings with those little string push-in end pins, or whatever they are called these days.

Last edited by frayne48; 02-25-2010 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proy View Post
I once chatted with Mike Ness (lead guitarist of Social Distortion) about this exact issue. He had originally followed the advice of his brother, Paul, and gone with the gluing technique. Whilst ok, he too eventually went with the ginger root technique recommend by Frayne48 after his other brother, Andrew, insisted he give it a try. He now swears by it.

On an interesting side note, Ness was the original owner of the one-bedroom apartment described in The Adolescents song "Kids of the Black Hole". The punk house was located in Fullerton, California in the 1980s.
I wonder if that was the inspiration for "Dear Lover"?

I remember when it was him against the world, and he was sure that he would win. But the world fought back and punished him for his sins. He was wrong.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
So,..what you're saying is that my fears off over-swelling my grommet permanently shut are not unfounded?...I'd prefer that not be the case...jack insert or not...I can always use it as an "out".
Old 02-25-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
He's never done it before then. Its a safe effective way to "shrink" the hole.
2009 Lanikai LU21
Dunlop shaker egg
Alesis DM10 Pro
Old 02-25-2010, 05:13 PM

If I were going to try and shrink the hole using the soldering gun method, I'd do it this way rather than the advice given earlier. Insert the damp rag wrapped around a cold soldering gun into the hole. **Note "cold" soldering gun. Plug in the gun to an electrical outlet and when the rag starts sizzling, pull the hot tip out immediately or risk damaging the hole.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:15 PM

I just don't like the idea of using a tool that could seriously burn my jackhole. There's got to be a more natural method that's less hazardous. I'm allergic to ginger root, thought. Does powdered ginger have the same effect if you mix it with water?

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair