The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 12-14-2005, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthumb
.....It has some very mixed reviews.....some love it , some hate it....?????...

No way !!!!

Which guitar doesn't ?

Which anything, for that matter.

The one I played was sweet, acoustically. Wish I had picked it up when I had the chance.

Good luck.

McPherson 4.5W RW/ZI
Taylor 812ce - Taylor 514ce - NS32-ce
Adamas W-597, Epi John Lee Hooker Sig #23 of 220, Squire Black Strat
Jay Turser Maple OM
Taylor W14ce / 422-R Babies x 3
Fishman 130W Tri-Amped Performer Acoustic Amp
Old 12-14-2005, 06:12 PM

Quote:
As far as the "labels" I think intent is the main ingredient, As you said, the top construction is one consideration. Additionally, the bracing which may determine string type, wheather the pickup is floating or face mounted and wood selection. From what I've learned thus far, the Eastmans fit the criteria as true acoustics with added amplification. This is true of Gary Stroup's guitars as well and I'm sure many others but, not all. Mine fall into the latter category. Thats why I'm shopping.
So far, all I have heard and seen on the Eastmans is excellent. My only real issue at this time is size..16 or 17"...the one I've found used is 17".

From what I've read from your posts you're better off with a 16" bout. Remember, that's still a big guitar. And I'd go new over used and from a reputable dealer like Buffalo Brothers or someone similar if there isn't a dealer in your area. You want to be able to return it if you don't like it. Now, just pick a color.....I'm looking for 'golden age' but most are antique red, then there's blonde, sunburst, and oh yes, blue.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Ayers
I play one by this guy (www.pacinfo.com/~sholst); I would highly recommend him. Mine is more traditional looking than many on his site, but each is custom. Mine was quite affordable.

Do you puruse archtop.com? I like the looks of the Trenier instruments, which are very attractively priced (the builder's site is http://trenierguitars.com).

Charlie
Charlie,

I placed an order with Steve a year ago, November. I ordered one of his new laminated K200 guitars. Can't wait to get it! I'm guessing sometime next year, late summer or early fall.

Would be interested to hear more about your Holst, perhaps in a separate thread (so as not to hijack this one more than I have already), PM or e-mail.

Best regards,
Old 12-15-2005, 08:04 AM

Default Eastman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ
oh yes, blue.
Well, I guess since you've been keeping up you kow why I'm laughing... Thanks....I've kinda come to the same conclusion..16" and I'm thinking AR805C at the moment. No pickups at all. My ER is 17" and just a tad big for me and does the electric thing nicely. So, I think I'l be looking for staight acoustic for now. Thanks again!

I just had a long chat with an Eastman dealer who told me that he didn't see any point in eliminating the pickup. Figured that with it you get the best of both worlds. I guess that seems logical. Thoughts?

Last edited by dthumb; 12-15-2005 at 01:11 PM. Reason: updated
Old 12-15-2005, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston
Charlie,

I placed an order with Steve a year ago, November. I ordered one of his new laminated K200 guitars. Can't wait to get it! I'm guessing sometime next year, late summer or early fall.

Would be interested to hear more about your Holst, perhaps in a separate thread (so as not to hijack this one more than I have already), PM or e-mail.

Best regards,
Yes, they are quite lovely and I hope you get yours soon...perhaps one may be in my future as well.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:46 AM

I'll drop you an email, Darryl. Here are some pics of my Holst, plus a nice mandolin he built:

http://community.webshots.com/user/bigskychuck

Charlie
Old 12-15-2005, 09:08 AM

The Martin CF1 played and sounded very nicely at a guitar show here in the uk, but we don't get to sample many of the expensive handmade jobs. I like the Thom Bresch signature model(not really a Jazz box i guess) but only looking at the picks, i bet its one expensive guitar.
Vikki(uk)

Last edited by Vikki; 12-15-2005 at 09:47 AM.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Ayers
I'll drop you an email, Darryl. Here are some pics of my Holst, plus a nice mandolin he built:

http://community.webshots.com/user/bigskychuck

Charlie
Thanks for posting the link to your guitars. I'll check them out more closely when I return this evening.

Feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]
Old 12-15-2005, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Well, I guess since you've been keeping up you kow why I'm laughing... Thanks....I've kinda come to the same conclusion..16" and I'm thinking AR805C at the moment. No pickups at all. My ER is 17" and just a tad big for me and does the electric thing nicely. So, I think I'l be looking for staight acoustic for now. Thanks again!

I just had a long chat with an Eastman dealer who told me that he didn't see any point in eliminating the pickup. Figured that with it you get the best of both worlds. I guess that seems logical. Thoughts?
not meaning to be rude but....BUMP!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops