The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-24-2018, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
This thread is about Martin price increases.
I realize it's tacky to ask what someone paid, but since you brought up paying the 2016 price ...
When you say, "Marty gave me a price on the guitar back in 2016" which of the 3 new Martin prices do you mean:

1. The MSRP on Martin's website
2. The MAP, minimum advertised price vendors are allowed to publish, about 20% below MSRP
3. The price many people get if they know to ask for it, 40% below MSRP

Lastly and the only thing that matters for this thread, are the 2016 MSRP/MAP prices the same as they are today?
Or do you mean you initiated this purchase back in 2016 and only completed the transaction a few weeks ago?
Sorry, what you wrote is just not clear to me ... yes, okay okay, I'm sure someone will post it was clear to them.

Sorry, Tico...didn't mean to highjack your thread or muddy the water...

But as far as I can tell, the price on the 000-18 has been $3099 MSRP, and $2459 MAP for at least a couple of years now...still is...

I asked and was quoted 40% off MSRP in my original call, and that's what I purchased for a few weeks ago...all of our sponsors here are great to work with...

My apologies to AGF and sponsors if I've violated any policies here, and I now return you all to your regularly scheduled programming...
Old 04-24-2018, 07:10 PM

Thanks.

................ required extra characters.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:30 PM

Sales are down from their high. Watch some of the Winter NAMM videos where Chris Martin talks about finding the bottom regarding sales then rebounding until things plateaued. They know they can’t raise prices now. And I bet we get fair warning before they do raise prices. The warning veiled in an increase in talk about the scarcity of materials.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:23 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by archerscreek View Post
Sales are down from their high. Watch some of the Winter NAMM videos where Chris Martin talks about finding the bottom regarding sales then rebounding until things plateaued. They know they can’t raise prices now. And I bet we get fair warning before they do raise prices. The warning veiled in an increase in talk about the scarcity of materials.
Gibson is in FAR worse trouble than Martin and has raised the price on its iconic J-45 by $350 this year. Go figure.

Old 04-25-2018, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

shhh be very quiet, (don't bring that up we don't want Martin guitars to realize that)......
Martin J-40 Adi custom 2018
Martin OM-28 Adi Gruhn Special
McPherson Sable
Fender American Professional II Telecaster
Fender American Professional II Stratocaster
Northfield Big Mon Engleman top
Northfield Big Mon Adirondack top
Companion custom woody banjo
Fender '68 custom Vibro Champ Reverb amp
Old 04-25-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Gibson is in FAR worse trouble than Martin and has raised the price on its iconic J-45 by $350 this year. Go figure.
Martin is struggling as well but they are privately owned and not drowning in debt. Nonetheless, I’ve seen, read or heard the following from UT, press articles, CFM IV interviews, dealer discussions...

Martin’s export business is down 30% (or more) due to bureaucracy snags involving CITES.

Martin is struggling obtaining the exotic woods they used to take for granted because of CITES and the insatiable demand of the Chinese fine furniture industry. Result—they have instituted a scrap usage policy that you won’t like. Have you seen the glued together headstock “Wings” they’ve been using on high end guitars since serial# 217xxxx? Embarrassing really.

Martin has many employees on split-shifts trying to avoid a big layoff. Tried getting a response from Customer Service lately? That’s because they aren’t there every day.

The only thing humming along at Martin is the Custom Shop which seems to maintain a 5-6 month backlog and charges outrageous up charges for the smallest changes.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:58 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyHD28 View Post
Martin is struggling as well but they are privately owned and not drowning in debt. Nonetheless, I’ve seen, read or heard the following from UT, press articles, CFM IV interviews, dealer discussions...

Martin’s export business is down 30% (or more) due to bureaucracy snags involving CITES.

Martin is struggling obtaining the exotic woods they used to take for granted because of CITES and the insatiable demand of the Chinese fine furniture industry. Result—they have instituted a scrap usage policy that you won’t like. Have you seen the glued together headstock “Wings” they’ve been using on high end guitars since serial# 217xxxx? Embarrassing really.

Martin has many employees on split-shifts trying to avoid a big layoff. Tried getting a response from Customer Service lately? That’s because they aren’t there every day.

The only thing humming along at Martin is the Custom Shop which seems to maintain a 5-6 month backlog and charges outrageous up charges for the smallest changes.
Yep...I agree. That’s why I didn’t say Martin isn’t having problems. I said Gibson’s are FAR worse. Drowning in debt will do that to you. Everything you mention - except the “scrap usage” which is news to me - is pretty common knowledge on this forum and UMGF. Sad to see what the CITES snags exasperated by changes in musical trends are doing to great guitar companies. At least Martin - unlike Gibson - hasn’t rushed to raise prices...for now.

I haven’t needed their CS lately...but I did contact the Martin Owners Club via email earlier this week. Got a response the same day. Maybe I just got lucky and caught ‘em on a work day.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion