The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-05-2017, 07:59 PM

1968 Gibson EB3
2010 Hofner Club Bass
Old 11-05-2017, 08:56 PM

I don't know . . . everybody loves the Beatles now, but I am pretty sure I remember there being a pretty noticeable "Beatles/Stones divide."

I have to admit, as a kid (I am 59 now) I was on the Stones side of the divide (though I did not dislike the Beatles).
Old 11-05-2017, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmct View Post
I am pretty sure I remember there being a pretty noticeable "Beatles/Stones divide."
Yeah, I remember it as... the Beatles wanted to hold your hand and the Stones wanted to burn your house down.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:30 PM

If anything, the Beatles are UNDERRATED. The older I get, the more I appreciate how sophisticated their music was, even their very early stuff.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2otorched View Post
Oh my!
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 11-05-2017, 11:43 PM

Thanks to my older brothers I'm more of a beatles fan than others my age. They certainly did some memorable music.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmct View Post
I don't know . . . everybody loves the Beatles now, but I am pretty sure I remember there being a pretty noticeable "Beatles/Stones divide."

I have to admit, as a kid (I am 59 now) I was on the Stones side of the divide (though I did not dislike the Beatles).
Yes.
I'm 68 now, and I remember the Beatles as basically a girls' band at the beginning, and the Stones were for the guys! My younger sister was into them four cute moptops, while me and my mates were into the Stones, Yardbirds, Kinks, Who.
For me, that began changing with Rubber Soul (the proto-psychedelic typography more than the music), and finally with Revolver, and the astonishing Tomorrow Never Knows - which changed everything! That track still sounds revolutionary 50 years on (as the Chemical Bros proved). Followed by their stunning masterpiece Strawberry Fields Forever/Penny Lane (what a double A-side that was...)
Then Sgt Pepper basically conquered the world (the general response to that was like Moses had come down with 10 new commandments....). The Stones could only manage the feeble Satanic Majesties in response. (Still I bought the latter album, and never bought Sgt Pepper. You didn't need to then, because all your friends owned a copy and you could just borrow it and tape it. But, A Day in the Life aside, I never thought it was as good as Revolver.)

For me, the Beatles' appeal started diminishing after that - I never got into the white album (too much filler, no standouts), and Abbey Road and Let It Be both seemed messy, thrown together. Of course, in later years I've reviewed that naively dismissive late-teenage opinion, but back then I was deeply into The Authentic Blues (maaan), dismissing even Led Zep as tiresome dilettantes! If it wasn't acoustic, ideally on a scratchy old 78, it wasn't worth anything.... (The only new rock acts I tolerated in the late 60s were Jimi Hendrix and Pink Floyd. And Peter Green, but not for his blues.)

The Stones, meanwhile, remained more or less as appealing as ever. Their psychedelic deviation was no more than that (everyone was doing it in 1967, you were nobody if you didn't), and they returned to their vocation of embedding blues as the foundation of rock music, their life's work as God surely intended! Their saving grace was they never seemed to take themselves too seriously. It was all good time stuff.

Now, I recognise the Beatles (Lennon. McCartney, Harrison) for the master songwriters they were. (And Ringo as a master drummer, as George Martin - eventually recognised.) Back then, the Beatles' songs were simply the environment I grew up in, and they felt no more special than water does to a fish. I knew no different, and it felt quite natural that their expanding musical consciousness went hand in hand with my own adolescent growth. In the 1960s, something new and amazing seemed to happen every month in popular culture, and that just felt normal. It's only when looking back that I see the genius of how they pulled so many previous musical strands together.

Last edited by JonPR; 11-06-2017 at 08:45 AM.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:41 AM

BTW, all Beatles fans who are also musicians and maybe amateur songwriters (like all of us, right? ) need to bookmark this site, if you haven't already: http://www.icce.rug.nl/~soundscapes/...alphabet.shtml

It also represents a whole bunch of great theory lessons.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars+gems View Post
Oh my!

My first concert, went with my Dad,
Bill. The Beatles were GREAT!
Totally Rocked!
[emoji1365]❤️
1968 Gibson EB3
2010 Hofner Club Bass
Old 11-06-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Totally Rocked!
[emoji1365]❤️
Cool dad! And you could actually hear them?
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 11-06-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
BTW, all Beatles fans who are also musicians and maybe amateur songwriters (like all of us, right? ) need to bookmark this site, if you haven't already: http://www.icce.rug.nl/~soundscapes/...alphabet.shtml

It also represents a whole bunch of great theory lessons.

Thanks for this link, Jon. I immediately went to see what he had to say about I'll Be Back.
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 11-06-2017, 11:35 AM

A big fan here! Here are the wall hangings I created in college to prove it!

2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 11-06-2017, 01:58 PM

I could easily become obsessed with those wall hangings. But where is George??
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 11-07-2017, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Totally Rocked!
[emoji1365]❤️
I never saw them myself, but I remember the father of one of my first girlfriends was a policeman, who had been on duty at a Beatles concert in 1964 (when she was 10, long before I knew her). He got her the autographs of the Beatles, as well as support act the Yardbirds (with Eric Clapton)... It was the latter that impressed me more, when I saw her little book in the 70s...

Although I was a kid in West London (going to school a half mile from the Ealing Club, birthplace of the Stones, and living in the next road to Pete Townshend), I never saw any of the big bands of the day live in the 60s - not until Fleetwood Mac in 1969. Saw Bowie in '72, and the Stones and Floyd in 1973, the Who not until '74. (As I said before, folk and blues were much more my thing around that time.) I missed out big time!
Old 11-07-2017, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars+gems View Post
I could easily become obsessed with those wall hangings. But where is George??
Those images were taken from the back of the Rubber Soul album and the pic of George there, him leaning against a fence looking like a cowboy, wasn't conducive to the high-contrast abstract look I wanted. But I did make two smaller ones that included George.

All of these were made manually (no computers back then), by drawing a grid over the picture, making a larger grid on chipboard, and then enlarging the image by eyeballing the lines in each grid. I then cut a stencil out of the chipboard and stomp-painted through. Unfortunately, the stencils are long gone.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write