The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 05-25-2003, 10:05 PM

Default muting

alrighty yall. i've been playing since 99, and i think i have made normal progress. i'm not a virtuoso by any means but for me i'm making good progress. barre chords are not my friend but i'm practicing those day in day out and i can learn those on my own. my main problem comes with muting. any kind of muting. i can't begin to tell you how much trouble muting gives me. does anybody here have some tips or anything at all on how to get better at muting? any info is much appreciated. thanks yall!

mark
Old 05-25-2003, 10:30 PM

I play with the heel of my palm resting on the bridge. That mutes the strings, but still allows them to produce sound. Also, try just lifting up your fingers for some strums.

Muting is more of a feel thing for me. As you do it more and more, you'll get it and it will just click one day.
Old 05-26-2003, 07:55 AM

What Brad said....plus....I used to play an electric guitar,so alot of my muting techniques came from that....you know....by playing alot of heavy stuff like Ozzy,Metallica,Black Sabbath,Zeppelin.
I had something to build off of.The heal of the palm on the bridge thing is very important if your gonna play certain types of music.
What type of stuff do you play?

You just need to sit down with somebody that does it alot and get them to show you some pointers.
Old 05-26-2003, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bradley dr20
I play with the heel of my palm resting on the bridge. That mutes the strings, but still allows them to produce sound. Also, try just lifting up your fingers for some strums.

Muting is more of a feel thing for me. As you do it more and more, you'll get it and it will just click one day.
trapping...yeah...adds some character to someones playing...

just keep working on the muting...learn some Dave Matthews songs to practice some real muting...

and keep workin the barre chords...not because they sound good, but the make a solid base for any theory that you may teach yourself...
Old 05-26-2003, 12:58 PM

I agree with all the posts so far. You can also change the sound of your mute by moving your palm's heel closer to or farther away from the bridge. Also, you don't have to mute all the strings. You may want to just mute the lower strings (GBe). You can also mute certain strings with your left hand's fingers.

2000 410
2001 710ce
2003 Big Baby
Old 05-26-2003, 05:33 PM

I have been working on this myself. Frustrating to say the least. However, I have kept at it and while I would not say I have it down well I will say that I notice a big change when I pick the guitar this week and started muting a piece. I am trying to play certain pieces with muting the lower three strings so it sound more like a bass playing those stings.

Stick with it and I will too. Maybe we will get it down well soon.
Midnight Shadow
Old 05-27-2003, 05:14 PM

Default Re: muting

Quote:
Originally posted by antsdmb
alrighty yall. i've been playing since 99, and i think i have made normal progress. i'm not a virtuoso by any means but for me i'm making good progress. barre chords are not my friend but i'm practicing those day in day out and i can learn those on my own. my main problem comes with muting. any kind of muting. i can't begin to tell you how much trouble muting gives me. does anybody here have some tips or anything at all on how to get better at muting? any info is much appreciated. thanks yall!

mark
any songs in particular? I have never really had too much trouble with muting and can play almost every dave song
Old 05-30-2003, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by aggie94
). You can also mute certain strings with your left hand's fingers.
For example.....If you stum an open C chord real hard,you can use your thumb on your fretting hand to mute the E string.
Old 05-30-2003, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Muggy
.....................,you can use your thumb on your fretting hand to mute the E string.
And also with the palm-side of the fretting fingers to mute an adjacent string. Works well on big lush alternate and open tuning chords.
Old 05-30-2003, 04:22 PM

roll your pic hand threw to mute after each downstroke having your thumb and rest of hand land on strings ,,difficult to master ,{wich i havnt}but it sounds nice when u do for chords other then barchords wich is simple to mute.
Old 05-30-2003, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sdm
roll your pic hand threw to mute after each downstroke having your thumb and rest of hand land on strings ,,difficult to master ,{wich i havnt}but it sounds nice when u do for chords other then barchords wich is simple to mute.
Although I am far from mastering it, this is the technique I am more comfortable with. For my tastes, resting the hand on the bridge results in picking too close to the bridge... I like to pick closer to the sound hole.

Resting the hand on the bridge is good for the ol' EA twelve-bar blues chunky rhythm syuff though.

The best tool I found for working through the muting stuff is the cheap investment in a metronome. Just working on the 1-2-3-WHOOMP kinda stuff will help get the muting down, whichever method you feel more comfortable with...

$.02 from me to all...

If at first you don't succeed, find comfort in the fact that the grapes were probably sour anyway...
Old 05-31-2003, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by carolina410

Although I am far from mastering it, this is the technique I am more comfortable with. For my tastes, resting the hand on the bridge results in picking too close to the bridge... I like to pick closer to the sound hole.

Resting the hand on the bridge is good for the ol' EA twelve-bar blues chunky rhythm syuff though.

The best tool I found for working through the muting stuff is the cheap investment in a metronome. Just working on the 1-2-3-WHOOMP kinda stuff will help get the muting down, whichever method you feel more comfortable with...

$.02 from me to all...
It sounds like he( the fella that posted before carolina), is reffering to more of a Rock,Blues, electric guitar style mute.There is a whole other area of muting..more subtle......like the piano keys that the foot use.
.....just something that comes with playing alot.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell