The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-22-2000, 05:51 PM

Wink 614ce

A friend of mine (with some more money than I have) got into Taylors and purchased quite a few in the past year (422R, 714, 815c, 615c, Kenny Loggins). After trying them out I was amazed at the sound and playability, and had to get one. So a few weeks ago I got my first Taylor. It's a 614ce with no stain (all natural), a 3 piece back, and ebony tuners. This guitar has changed my whole outlook on playing. It sounds awesome, and the low action makes it feel like it's playing itself. The Grand Auditorium is a nice compromise between a Dread and the smaller guitars like the Grand Concert. I haven't plugged it in yet so I can't speak for the electronics. But the sound is just incredible, good balance between the highs and lows, this guitar just jumps out at you. I know some people don't care for Maple, but I heartily recommend giving it a try, after all these things are subjective. Based on the purchase of this guitar I intend to aquire several more.
Old 09-30-2000, 01:14 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Thumbs up

Sounds like a great guitar. I'm a huge 614CE fan, myself. Send some pictures when you get a chance.

Regards,
J.R. Rogers
Old 10-17-2000, 06:42 PM

Thumbs up

Howdy swood~

Although i am a now "sworn" lover and advocate of the sapele(300)/mahogany(500) wood guitars, i do use a 614c on a weekly basis at church and it has a Fishman Natural I installed. Let me tell you, that guitar truly does sparkle, even plugged. We had a guy who had a 610 and i remember the same shine and sparkle it made whenever he played. He's the one that was responsible for making me a Taylor fanatic, so reckon the 600 Maple Series are pretty unique in their charm!

Enjoy your 614ce as i enjoy my 310!

Blessings,
nick
Old 10-18-2000, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TheTaylor310:
Howdy swood~

Although i am a now "sworn" lover and advocate of the sapele(300)/mahogany(500) wood guitars, i do use a 614c on a weekly basis at church and it has a Fishman Natural I installed. Let me tell you, that guitar truly does sparkle, even plugged. We had a guy who had a 610 and i remember the same shine and sparkle it made whenever he played. He's the one that was responsible for making me a Taylor fanatic, so reckon the 600 Maple Series are pretty unique in their charm!

Enjoy your 614ce as i enjoy my 310!

Blessings,
nick
Nick,

I am enjoying the 614 immensely! Yes, maple is quite a bit different, I've found that people either love or hate it. It is particularly well suited to plugging in. I just found a used maple 422 that I'm going to get this weekend. Enjoy those Taylors in good health..

Steve W

Old 10-19-2000, 12:14 AM

I am very much in love with my Taylor 614ce and find that it is the most often played of all my guitars lately - and I have 14 including my electrics. Outstanding guitar unplugged or plugged in.

------------------
Scott Peterson

Marilyn Mack Group
Marilyn Mack Group MP3.Com Site
My Personal MP3.Com Site
Dirty Cow Records
My Gear

"Sleeping and eating were never as important to me (as playing the guitar)."
Chet Atkins
Old 10-19-2000, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by swoodnj:
Nick,

I am enjoying the 614 immensely! Yes, maple is quite a bit different, I've found that people either love or hate it. It is particularly well suited to plugging in. I just found a used maple 422 that I'm going to get this weekend. Enjoy those Taylors in good health..

Steve W

Hey Steve, my 612C sounds absolutely fantastic recorded, both for fingerstyle and for strumming. That maple really records well. Also, I jammed on some bluegrass with a couple of 70's Martin D28's, and held my own acoustically! THAT was a pleasant surprise.

Brett

Old 10-19-2000, 08:55 AM

Talking

Brett,

I while back I was toying with the idea of a 612, sounds like you're happy with yours! I don't record, but have heard the same thing from several different people, that the 600 series is great for amplification and recording. Must have been fun to hold your own with the Martin dreads. With a Grand Concert no less!

Steve W
Old 10-21-2000, 04:19 PM

Oh yeah, definitely a blast. And what was nice about it is that it had a different sound from the Martins and complimented them well. What's nice recording wise is that there is no "boominess" problem, and no real "midrange honk" problem, so it's pretty easy to get a good sound to tape. It is pretty straightforward, not overly throaty. . . not that throatiness, boominess, or pronounced midrange are problems. Each guitar has it's character and personality. THis one just seems to be "recording friendly."

Brett

Quote:
Originally posted by swoodnj:
Brett,

I while back I was toying with the idea of a 612, sounds like you're happy with yours! I don't record, but have heard the same thing from several different people, that the 600 series is great for amplification and recording. Must have been fun to hold your own with the Martin dreads. With a Grand Concert no less!

Steve W

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification