The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-14-2007, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

Default Durability - Rainsong vs Composite Acoustics (CA)

OK, this is a question that's probably a bit from the left field since one would not try to drop any guitar at this price range.

However, if I wanted an acoustic that's as bulletproof as possible, would the CA be MUCH more durable? Or just merely a bit more ?

I've read cases where CA took significant hits and came out with nary a scratch. The CA tops are one piece with the body.

In contrast, I've read at least 2 accounts where Rainsong tops have separated including one that came from a mere 6 inch drop. Apparently rainsong has a separate top and body. Another post stated that rainsong tops are fragile and will show permanent indentation if one pushes with some force on the top. Apparently it's some kind of hollow honeycomb type structure??

Anyways, wondering if I ever wanted the most bulletproof acoustics.

What I like about the CA is the more acoustic tone. The Rainsong is its additional volume.

Thanks,
PTL
Old 04-14-2007, 10:49 AM

That is an interesting question. I have a CA Bluegrass Performer. Have accidentally dropped a Maglite flashlight on it(the kind police use) from about four feet up. The flashlite hit the top made a loud noise and kindof bounced off. Didnt see a scratch on it. Also have accidentally knocked it over and opened the door into it. No problems on the top. Now the back and sides seem like they do scratch a little easier-the finish that is. The top on CA I still believe is a seperate piece from the body and neck, just like the Rainsong. Patrick

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber