The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 04:14 PM

Default I just saw this, and....

I did not know this thead had gone on so long. I am almost proud.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:46 PM

just my $.02, but do you really think if dave had a more natural acoustic sound it would really make the concert that much better, seriously. For example, this is kind of off the subject, but don't you think Boyd's violin would sound a lot better if he was using an actual wooden violin instead of an electric one. I'm not saying his tone sucks at all, but if you want to nitpick at how natural an artist's instrument could sound he is another one you could criticize. But you know what Boyd uses an electric violin because it is what he prefers in a live concert setting and it probably works best for a loud band setting. Same goes for Dave, he chooses to use the Fishman because it is what he likes, and in my opinion it is what works best to cut through the other instruments.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:50 PM

Please no, no, no.....not again.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:24 PM

Default More than you think. . .I think

Being a huge critical fan of Dave, I have studies his guitar choices in great depth. I have been to many shows, and his acoustic tone is pretty consistent and pristine every time. Dave may only list some guitars and and wireless systems as his main gear, but I think there is much compression, eq, and processing going on. I think Dave uses a lot of pro-audio equipment to achieve his consistently bright, and pristine acoustic tone. He may seem like an easy going player, but he knows his gear. At least his sound suggests that. When he has been playing for over 10 years and his acoustic still sounds similar to when he started, I think he is very particular.

Dave's tone may seem like there is nothing to it, but there is a lot of outboard processing going on in the background to get his basic, clean, perfect tone. I could be wrong about all of this of course, but that is just my guess.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:11 PM

Would you say that the guitar sound as presented in live recordings represents what you hear in the audience?
Old 07-16-2007, 08:48 AM

Tokai Love Rock
Old 07-16-2007, 09:59 AM
.tom the übergeek

Don't have the time or the energy on Monday morning to dissect this thread and try to save the useful stuff before it got ugly. Consider it closed.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification