The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-03-2020, 11:59 PM

Question Looking for a guitar-like instrument...

Hi, does something like a classical guitar exist, but with the heel higher up the fretboard (like at the 14th fret, instead of the 12th)? Thanks.
Old 01-04-2020, 12:35 AM
Charter Member

I believe that what you're looking for would be a "crossover/hybrid" nylon string guitar... more than a few companies make them; I've seen Breedloves, Taylors, Alvarez, and, at the higher end, Kirk Sand is world re-known for his hand builds, and both Rick Turner and James Goodall make their own versions of this style.

These tend to be slightly shallower in the body, most have cutaways for access to the upper registers... many feature electronics installed.

Yes, they do exist!

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 01-04-2020, 12:43 AM

Cordoba also has some nice crossovers

https://www.cordobaguitars.com/
Old 01-04-2020, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
I believe that what you're looking for would be a "crossover/hybrid" nylon string guitar... more than a few companies make them; I've seen Breedloves, Taylors, Alvarez, and, at the higher end, Kirk Sand is world re-known for his hand builds, and both Rick Turner and James Goodall make their own versions of this style.

These tend to be slightly shallower in the body, most have cutaways for access to the upper registers... many feature electronics installed.

Yes, they do exist!
My Taylor NS-62ce has a 12 fret neck, so the heel is in the appropriate location for such, so I'd nix Taylor from the list of what the OP is seeking.

Or, has Taylor steel-stringed that aspect of their current -N nylon models, too?
Old 01-04-2020, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
I believe that what you're looking for would be a "crossover/hybrid" nylon string guitar... more than a few companies make them; I've seen Breedloves, Taylors, Alvarez,
Note they Hybrids generally have radiused fretboards, and will often have a slightly narrower neck than a traditional nylon string.

I keep waiting for a good deal on one of the Breedlove's myself.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 01-04-2020, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Cordoba, Yamaha, Breedlove, etc all make great crossovers. I've had them all. The Cordoba will have the best acoustic sound, because they're built lighter. The Yamaha the most dead unplugged sound, because they're built heavier. The Breedlove is in between.
Old 01-04-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
Note they Hybrids generally have radiused fretboards, and will often have a slightly narrower neck than a traditional nylon string.

I keep waiting for a good deal on one of the Breedlove's myself.
Yes, thanks, I'm looking for something similar as possible to a typical classical guitar, just with the heel higher up.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical