The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-12-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
Yup.

My thinking is (I've seen this in action) that often the peak is a low frequency thump which, when attenuated by EQ, results in the normalisation process applying greater gain to the EQ'd signal to reach the desired maximum level. This might result in a greater variation in perceived tone.

If, on the other hand, a group of samples (ie., pre/post TD) are "batch" processed with common gain applied then the DAW looks across all samples, assesses the appropriate level of gain based on highest peak and applies that across the board. This would result in a greater variation of perceived loudness.

I think you've done ok with uniformity of recording, we're only trying to get a flavour. Interesting that we've come to different conclusions on the other thread, though. I'll listen again on decent headphones when time permits.
My reference to more clarity with the soundhole cover was referring to when I'm playing live and pushing the gain up to where bare-fingered picking can be heard in a noisy environment. Without the soundhole cover, I get excessive boominess or outright feedback at the same level. Of course I can do the usual thing (in this situation) of rolling off the bass, but I've found the soundhole cover to be a better option.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:53 AM

Yeah, my experience is similar.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Conquistador View Post
Indeed I am. I get nothing but compliments on my live tone.
EVERYBODY tells us that we sound great. It's what people do. I can't remember hearing anybody ever tell someone that they sounded bad. People tend to be non confrontational instead of being honest.

Not saying you don't sound good, because I wasn't there. I just don't take compliments to heart unless it's someone I know with great ears.

Quote:
But, AGF has a way of making one question his/her rig from time to time.
I'l cosign that. It certainly makes me want to try something out, but my ears are the final vote.

Quote:
Being a believer in the KISS principle, running on phantom power is indeed very nice. Since the RedEye is the only pedal I have every owned, I just assumed all pedals ran on phantom. I guess I got lucky.
Steve
Yeah, you did. It's a nice pre. I own one and love it.

I have found that so many cats want a rig that weighs 15lbs, runs on rechargeable battery power, sets up in less than 45 seconds, has bluetooth, is heavily feature laden, has 16 XLR inputs, 360 degree dispersion, costs less than $200, and can cover a rowdy pub of 300 people.

It would be cool if that existed. If it did, I could ride my unicorn to the gig and be set up in no time flat!
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS
Old 05-16-2019, 08:25 AM

It's been a little while since I've posted in the AGF.

I've landed a sweet solo slot on a big/loud festival stage in a month and I've decided that I'd once again look into taming the "glassy, shrill" top-end I've complained about so often here (I apologize for repeating myself).

For some background... I play a Martin CEO-7 (000 size guitar) with K&K pickups and soundhole plug into a Tonedexter. I love the sound at restaurant and small church levels, but when I play really big venues or really loud, the top end is just... ouch.

I've been lucky to play for a handful of good sound engineers who can sometimes tame it. But generally I've really struggled.

Anyway, I'm going to try another approach. Last night I downloaded the very latest version of code (no idea if that matters), and I created 5 new maps all using dynamic mics with limited upper ends:

1) EV N/D767a
2) Miktek PM9
3) Shure SM57
4) Blue enCore 100
5) Shure SM7B

I've always used my $600 small diameter condenser mic (a Miktek PM5), but maybe the lesser amount of "air and top-end" will help. I'm gonna audition these on a big system and choose one for the gig. I'll let you know.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:37 AM

I've recently picked up a tonedexter.

it took me a few days to get the hang of it, but I like it.

I have 4 acoustics I've trained for use with it, and it does seem to do the trick.
Takes a bit to dial it in, but it's a neat little device!
Old 05-16-2019, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

OK. Here's a video I just finished editing of a show I had on Tuesday. If you want to hear the guitar/music, just forward thru the first 1:10 of jabbering

This is my Fishman Rare Earth humbucker pickup played through a wave map on the ToneDexter into the house system. They are not adding anything else to the sound, I don't think. All the players on the stage have theri own pedals and effects, so I think the soundguy just took the signals clean.

There's still a definite mag pickup nature to the sound. But the ToneDexter does a fine job of making it sound more acoustic. A little boxy maybe. But it's a boxy sounding guitar by itself anyway.

Old 08-18-2022, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Howell View Post
As has been said, if you need an acoustic sound the TD is the way to go. It does need mains power which is why in some places I will take a battery preamp as a backup. As frustrating as this is the sound quality wins me over every time.
I use a USB battery and a USB to 9-12v center negative adapter off amazon with the ToneDexter. Works great.

I do have a question for you all. On Mic technique for the set-up of the ToneDexter (but probably a generally applicable micing technique) that would minimize strong harmonics and Wolf tones that my ear doesn't generally hear but comes in strong through a mic and thus prominent when using the TD Wavemap? I'm using an Se8 which works beautifully with another guitar and TD.

Youtube
Spotify
Tidal
ResultsManagementGroup and deepwork.coach
Old 08-18-2022, 11:36 AM

I use mine all the time, it's setup for all my acoustics, and it's a game changer.

If anything happened to it, I'd try to get another one very quickly.

Quote:
Thanks Gordon. I will not be viewing any more Tondexter posts.

Steve
Well if that's the thing, then that's the thing.

but.. ya don't now what yer missin man!

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 08-18-2022, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapping View Post
I use a USB battery and a USB to 9-12v center negative adapter off amazon with the ToneDexter. Works great.

I do have a question for you all. On Mic technique for the set-up of the ToneDexter (but probably a generally applicable micing technique) that would minimize strong harmonics and Wolf tones that my ear doesn't generally hear but comes in strong through a mic and thus prominent when using the TD Wavemap? I'm using an Se8 which works beautifully with another guitar and TD.
I also have a similar battery setup. The 9v converter isn't needed for the ToneDexter (it will accept 9-15V, center positive or negative), but I use it for my other pedals. Works great!

As far a mic'ing goes, it seems be be different for every guitar. I've gotten my best results with my HD-28V by pointing the mic toward the large lower bout, angled somewhat toward the sound hole. Also, my best results so far have been with an inexpensive Behringer ECM8000 measurement mic.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification