The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-04-2001, 06:51 PM

Question webber guitar

Has anyone ever played a webber guitar??? I was wowed! and the price, wowed again. what do you think??
Old 04-04-2001, 07:51 PM

Never played a Webber, but I have heard really nice things about their sound quality. For fun, you might want to check out Mandolin Bros. web site -- they have several used ones listed at prices that will wow you even more. And the folks at mando are pretty accurate, fair, and entertaining with their descriptions (they make for good lunchtime reading at work.....)
Old 04-04-2001, 08:15 PM

Okay -- I must be losing it....but, I was waaaaay wrong in my previous post. Currently Mandolin Bros. does not have any Webbers on their site (I checked). But they do have many other fine high-end acoustics from the likes of C Fox, Huss & Dalton, and Robertson. I still am a Taylor guy, but beautiful sounding instruments are still fun to read and dream about. Sorry for the mis-info.
Old 04-04-2001, 11:58 PM

Played one (actually two) about a year ago at Vennemans Music in Springfield, VA. That store is now out of businesss, purchased by Guitar Center.

The Webbers I played were basic dreadnoughts, nice workmanship, very clear tone, but I thought the bass was a bit lacking. One of the guitars had a severe dent in the side; surprisingly, it was the better sounding of the two. There are lots of high end guitars out there. I played a Breedlove over the weekend that was exceptional. Guess it all comes down to the woods and workmanship on each particular guitar; some of them are alive, and have "it", others do not. It's a very individual process.

If the Webber speaks to you, then go for it. By the way, the ones I played were very expensive. Your post seems to indicate you found a low price. Is that correct?
Old 04-08-2001, 11:47 PM

I am a confirmed Taylor fan, but I have played some of David Webber's guitars mostly at my local store which is Buffalo Bros. in nearby Carlsbad.
They usually have a dozen or so on hand (about 1/2 of them are used).
IMHO they represent a guitar that is more "Martinish' than a Taylor but also more 'Taylorish' than a Martin.
RDP Wood

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification