The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-23-2001, 05:25 PM

Lightbulb 814bce

I have an 814bce in layaway and am very pleased about everything except when I play it with a little intensity it generates a buzzing on the sixth string,most prevalent at the three frets closest to the nut.I have two other Taylors and do not have this happen on either.I was hoping for ideas as to what may be causing this.The truss rod has already been readjusted and some minor dressing done on the frets.
Old 02-23-2001, 08:01 PM

Hello Rambo,

This isn't probably much help but Taylor mentions checking to insure the guitar is hydrated properly...ie. humidity control.

One of the first clues of dehydration according to Taylor is fret buzzing.

Other than that I'm not sure. Is your 814bce kept in a humidity controlled environment?

Maybe someone else can give you a bit more help?

Take care
Old 02-23-2001, 08:18 PM

If by 'with ... intensity' you mean with a pick, you may need a little more action. The x14 series straddles the line between fingerpicking and plectrum/strumming guitars. If you move more to one direction than the other you can adjust the action to optimize your use.
Old 02-23-2001, 09:20 PM

Thumbs down

hello all,

the humidity factor is definately an issue, but also check for an improperly cut nut. from what i have been reading lately taylor is having some funny going ons in thier qc dept. a possible case of growing pain i figure
Old 02-24-2001, 10:31 AM

We explored the humidity issue and it does not appear to be a problem. The action does seem lower than my 410 but while trying out an 810bce it reacted much like the 814. The depth of the nut cut seems like a probability . Thanks for the info
Old 02-25-2001, 08:26 PM

Question

The shop that has this guitar has recomended filling the groove in the nut with some type of liquid bone material. Has anyone had or heard of this being done?
Old 02-28-2001, 03:42 PM

Hi rambo,
The latest issue of Acoustic Guitar mentions the following about buzzing. Maybe this will help:
1. If you get a prominent buzz when a string is played in the open position, the nut is too low.
2. Buzzing in the low positions, from the first to sixth frets, is a good sign the truss rod is too tight.
3. A big buzz on one or two frets may indicate extreme fret wear (probably not on a new guitar) or a high or loose fret.
Good luck,
amcd
Old 03-31-2001, 10:57 AM

Smile

The shop is installing a new nut on the 814,but a 914 came in and it surpasses the other guitar.The base response is fantastic.Midrange is clear and consistant.Definately worth the next step.
Old 03-31-2001, 12:05 PM

My 814bce is returning from the Taylor repair shop. It also experienced the buzzing as you describe.

The solution? They replaced the nut and saddle and dressed the frets. The tech assures me that it plays perfectly now. I'll know for sure when it arrives mid next week.

Dave
Old 03-31-2001, 11:36 PM

The 814bce I was going to get is being repaired at the local shop.They are putting on a new nut,but I`m not sure it will solve the entire problem.There was no buzz on the 6th string when played open and very prodominant when closing one of the first three frets.This guitar is very cool otherwise.Nicely matched two piece back,great looking top and excellant tone.Base response is still a ? until its repair.
Old 04-06-2001, 08:31 PM

I just returned from another difficult business trip and discovered my 814bce waiting for me, fresh from the Taylor repair shop.

The new nut and saddle along with fret dressing has yielded the result I was seeking. This guitar has awesome tone and playability. No buzzing and amazing action all at the same time. It's everything I hoped for and more.

I'm in love all over again!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification