The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-06-2001, 12:24 AM
AGF Owner & Founder

Post 2001 712CE

Today I got the chance to play a new 2001 Taylor 712ce for about 30 minutes.

Honestly, I was skeptical about this change to the series, as the new ones have an Engelmann Spruce top instead of cedar. Being a real fan of the previous 2000 model 714CE cedar model, I was kind of disappointed when I heard that this series would be changed yet again after only three years in it's previous configuration. My disappointment quickly diminshed as I played the new 712CE. The guitar was without a doubt, quite impressive. The Engelmann Spruce top seemed to give the guitar a nice attack, while the rosewood body carried the warmth of the bass notes. The sound was very nice, and actually sounded good strummed (which is a change from previous x12 models).

The new body shape definitely looks a little different, and I thought it was more pleasing to the eye. Since there was an older x12 also in the store, I was able to compare them, and while it's hard to tell exactly where they've changed the dimensions, the new x12 does look somewhat different - somewhat more streamlined and less "awkward" for lack of a better term. The cosmetic appointments on the new 712 are very nice, remiding me of a fine Goodall guitar (costing about three times as much). The body and neck both had a lovely wood binding, that contrasted nicely with the dark rosewood back and very light colored spruce top. I was also impressed with the inlay around the soundhole. I've heard some complaints about it, but I personally liked it. It wasn't "overdone". It had a very minimalist look. The guitar also had smaller dot inlays on the neck, which are my only visual complaint. I think they could have done better, but they certainly don't detract from the guitar. I just think they could have done something creative with the inlays, or at least used abalone like the previous generation. Nonetheless, I think the smaller inlays are possibly meant to not interfere with the striking simplicity of the rest of the guitar.

The theme of the new 712 seemed to be "natural". I'm not sure if that's the design that Taylor was going for, but something about the combination of visual appointments and pure "woody" tone, just brought to mind a beautiful serene desert scene at sunset. I was carried away by the sound, enjoying it's purity. I was impressed. I will probably add one of these to my collection.

In the end, the former 714CE (cedar) model won a place in my heart with it's wonderful sound, but I have to admit that I was pretty swept away by the new 712's honest tone. The two guitars sound very different, but are both beautifully unique and equally "magic".

J.R. Rogers
Old 02-06-2001, 12:56 AM

JR,

You don't take your digital camera with you when you shop?

------------------
George Wilson
Old 02-06-2001, 01:32 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

I probably should.
Old 02-06-2001, 04:45 PM

JR,

You were bit by the same bug I was last summer when I found a custom 714 with the E. Spruce top. My first Taylor. It is an awesome guitar!!!
Old 02-10-2001, 03:41 AM

Exclamation

More 700 series info...

Played a 710CE tonight at the local planet. The new design is very nice. Looks very much like the old 910 sans the abalone. The Koa Rosette looked very good on the Engleman Spruce top.

I'm suffering from a major allergy attack and so when it didn't sound good I attributed it to that. Still this was not right. At little consideration and I came to the conclusion that it was tuned about a half or more high. Somehow going high like that always seems to sound 'bound up' to me. I lowered the pitch retuned it and it was fine. Of course loosening it like that made for an interesting time chasing the tuning. Since the planet doesn't have a communal tuner I just went by some of the other guitars.

Once it was reasonably tuned I played it for a while and it was very nice. I know this model pretty good because I have a '97 spruce topped 710. What a difference the neck makes. I continue to be amazed at the difference that 1/16" makes.

I can work both necks OK but the wider one just makes the job easier. Until I started getting into bluegrass and country music my usual preference was my GA. The 710 just sounds better on rythym strumming so its the instrument of choice these idoms.

There's a legends of the fall 810B at my usual stop. If it had the wide neck, I would be in serious trouble trying to explain why I needed another guitar.

------------------
George Wilson
Old 02-10-2001, 02:42 PM

J.R., I must agree with you about the inlay on the 700 series. I am currently looking at a 514c and it has the same styling as the 714. The inlay around the sound hole is an understated work of art. However, I feel that the small dot inlay on the fingerboard is too understated for guitars of this caliber. While it doesn't have the cheap look of a 200 dollar guitar neck, I feel Taylor could have come up with something a little more creative to give it that simple and elegent appeal that only a Taylor can give. Does anyone agree with me on this?
Old 02-10-2001, 04:28 PM

I think the neck inlay is OK! I actually like the 'no inlay' style of the LKSM models but I think the Celtic on the walnuts is nice. Short way of saying the neck inlay is not that big a thing to me.

Being one who still looks at the neck too much, I find to fancy an inlay to be confusing.

------------------
George Wilson
Old 02-10-2001, 08:52 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

I'm with George. I prefer the "no inlay" look. Much cleaner. I was planning on ordering my next 712CE or 714CE this way, but alas....

J.R.
Old 02-12-2001, 09:44 AM

Awwwww, George...

Wide neck or not, just trade one in that 810B. The new neck plays well enough as is.

Snap it up while you can...It's a keeper.

-grm

[This message has been edited by gmccall (edited 02-12-2001).]
Old 02-23-2001, 02:06 PM

Thumbs up

Howdy

Recently, i got to see/play both the new 2001 712ce and 714ce. In my opinion, they both looked REALLY nice! Very clean and inviting.

I played them and i was very impressed with the sound. I usually don't like the boominess of rosewood, but the 712ce and 714ce was somethin' else...

Aesthetically, the 2001 700 Series looked better to my eyes. Classy. Tasteful. Elegant. Heck, if you're gonna plunk down $2k or more for it, you'd better have it look nice! But, the Guitar Centre in which those two were at had a sale and the guitars listed way under its normal price! And... thankfully, the cases are INCLUDED

Sweeeeeeeet
TGF #66

2008 Taylor 714ce
2008 Taylor 914ce (mine but on a temporary "loan" to my dad )
1999 Taylor 310 9906100xx ex-owner
1999 Taylor 310 9911310xx ex-owner

Eu sou brasileiro-coreano com muito orgulho!
Old 02-23-2001, 09:57 PM

I make my living with my guitars, and while I have to find the best deal, I have never found a discount store to be able to help a professional. They don't knwo how to set up the guitars they sell, and half the time, I know more about the guitars they sell than they do. I have two dealers that I deal with exclusively. One here in St. Louis and one in Nashville. They are wonderful people and appreciate your business so much. I even get christmas cards from these guys. If you could find a guitar that was in perfect playing condition in one of those superstores I would be surprised. I compare those guys with the scratch and dent furniture stores. It actually suprises me that Taylor even lets some of these guys represent their guitars. They certainly aren't doing them justice. I own several guitars and I have never had a Taylor let me down yet.

Fretfully,

Guitarman
Old 02-23-2001, 10:03 PM

Guitarman

Who is it you deal with in St Loo??
Old 02-23-2001, 10:18 PM

Chuck, I deal with a place called Fazio's just outside St. Louis. They have been in business since the 70's and every guys there is great. Not to mention they have a huge inventory of Taylors and other fine guitars. They set these guitars up when they come in the make sure they always play great. They are one of hte best dealers I have ever found. It is nice this day and age to find a place where you always find the same guys working there and they're always ready to help any way they can.

Guitarman...
Old 03-28-2001, 05:21 AM

Thumbs down

Hi Folks,
Let me first say if you've got a neck with no dots, that's just fine. Classicals have always looked nice and clean. But, my feelings on the new neck look/rosette look are like this. If I'm going to buy a $2000+ instrument, it ought to have decent sized dots if the inlay isn't frilly. Other wise do away with them altogther and dot the side - including G above the 12th. The koa rosette is nice, but the abalone around the sound hole? It's just a real touch of class. To me Taylor is just trying to save some money but chincing (sp?) on the dots.
DaveB

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification