The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-28-2020, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
For sure but this is one time I don't mind haha. I also think it has a lot to do with the fact that Baggs announced this and hasn't really done much to market it since. Obviously it's only been a couple of weeks but there's nothing really new to discuss.
Exactly. It's a new product and it's not out yet so people are spitballin' what "might" work well with it and so on. And, if it works wonders, why not go with the simplest pickup?
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 01-28-2020, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
My Godin Doyle Dykes Signature Multiac blends an LB6 with a Lyric mic and it sounds great. I suspect they put all the string pickup elements in phase to make this work though. There is also a phase switch which I believe reverses the Phase of both the pickup and the mic together.

I think there might be tone problems blending a Lyric mic with a stock LB-6 because of the way LR Baggs reverses the Phase on certain strings.

It would be worth contacting LR Baggs to see if they sell a version of the LB6 with all the strings in matching phase for this of us that like blending mics and pickups.
Per your suggestion, I emailed Baggs Support regarding the LB6 version in the signature Doyle Dykes Multiac. I got this very quick response from Caleb.

Hey Gary,
Thanks for emailing.

The Doyle Dykes Godin uses the standard LB6X, which has the normal out-of-phase wiring. So it would blend the same way as a normal LB6 and a Lyric. That combo is fairly popular for the players who want a more customized system, despite the slight phase cancellation.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Sincerely,
Caleb Elling
LR Baggs Service and Support

Token Soundscape content: I give the Baggs folks credit for recognizing and addressing the fact that the "my guitar, only louder" sound is less focused and more vulnerable (than a typical mag or UST signal) to feedback when amplified at high sound levels. Their single knob solution to feedback, which automatically adjusts itself to the "feedback profile" of the user's particular instrument, might well turn out to be the Soundscape's most useful and popular feature. I'm definitely looking forward to the user reports on the anti-feedback knob.

Last edited by guitaniac; 01-28-2020 at 03:20 PM.
Old 01-28-2020, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
Per your suggestion, I emailed Baggs Support regarding the LB6 version in the signature Doyle Dykes Multiac. I got this very quick response from Caleb.

Hey Gary,
Thanks for emailing.

The Doyle Dykes Godin uses the standard LB6X, which has the normal out-of-phase wiring. So it would blend the same way as a normal LB6 and a Lyric. That combo is fairly popular for the players who want a more customized system, despite the slight phase cancellation.

Sincerely,
Caleb Elling

Token Soundscape content: I give the Baggs folks credit for recognizing and addressing the fact that the "my guitar, only louder" sound is less focused and more vulnerable (than a typical mag or UST signal) to feedback when amplified at high sound levels. Their single knob solution to feedback, which automatically adjusts itself to the "feedback profile" of the user's particular instrument, might well turn out to be the Soundscape's most useful and popular feature. I'm definitely looking forward to the user reports on the anti-feedback knob.
Very cool! I don't hear any noticeable cancellation on the G & B strings and it sounds very acoustic and pretty.

Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 01-28-2020, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post

Hey Gary,

Thanks for emailing.

Sincerely,

Caleb Elling

Wow that surprises me! Thanks for checking. It is good to know! Well in that case, I can confirm that the LB6 and the Lyric mic sound great together: even with the Lyric in a chamber instead of a full acoustic guitar body!
Old 02-04-2020, 09:05 AM

Just a question about the LB6... I have heard people say that they needed to rout out the saddle slot in order to fit the LB6 in. My Taylor has the 1/8" saddle width which I believe the LB6 is as well. Would any further modifications be necessary other than the saddle height/action being done?

I am very much considering a K&K and LB6 in my Taylor as I have two jacks. I don't want to use them together. I have an idea to use the K&K with the Tonedexter or alone when I want a natural tone in more intimate settings and then the LB6 with my aura or Tonedexter for most band situations.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Just a question about the LB6... I have heard people say that they needed to rout out the saddle slot in order to fit the LB6 in. My Taylor has the 1/8" saddle width which I believe the LB6 is as well. Would any further modifications be necessary other than the saddle height/action being done?

I am very much considering a K&K and LB6 in my Taylor as I have two jacks. I don't want to use them together. I have an idea to use the K&K with the Tonedexter or alone when I want a natural tone in more intimate settings and then the LB6 with my aura or Tonedexter for most band situations.
You might consider a James May Ultra Tonic Pickup conversion kit for your K&K. You'll get the benefit of the same gain before feedback as the LB6 and eliminate the extra stuff. You can use it with or without the Tonedexter. Your situation is the exact application for which he invented the adjustable passive phase cancellation circuit for the body resonance frequencies.
Old 02-06-2020, 04:10 AM

https://youtu.be/k-Kr5RJMh54

I like this vid best of the NAMM Soundscape demos. Its a little easier to hear the raw pickup/processed pickup difference because the player is strumming slower. In addition to that, Mike goes into a little more detail about what pickup types will work with the Soundscape. The claim is that the Soundscape will work with mags, USTs, SBTs (which he calls "contact pickups") and mic based systems.

With respect to the mic based systems (Lyric and Anthem SL) in my own guitars, I'm thinking that blending in a little Soundscape ambiance into the signal might be a good thing. The TruMic yields a relatively dry signal because its positioned so close to the bridgeplate.
Old 02-06-2020, 05:57 AM

(New Baggs) Just play on a bit, please!
Bling, bling, bling, bling?
Get stuck in! Play the mag pickup then! Etc.

Anyway, with my Baggs Anthem full system, I have experimented with running a Tonedexter file of JUST the undersaddle....turned mic off. I have done the same with my Maton system...turned the mic off. Through Tonedexter like this is just terrific, a cleaner signal than if you had the mic n while making the wavemap. Tonedexter sounds at its best! Straight from the undersaddle. Also sounds way, way different than the Anthem with mic on full. Same with the Maton. This could be handy in an ugly room.

I can’t wait to try the Baggs!

BluesKing777.
Old 02-07-2020, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
(New Baggs) Just play on a bit, please!
Bling, bling, bling, bling?
Get stuck in! Play the mag pickup then! Etc.

<snip>
I can’t wait to try the Baggs!

BluesKing777.
Agreed. It would be quite interesting to see the Soundscape demoed with every pickup type which L.R. Baggs sells. Considering the rep for feedback vulnerability which the iBeam has, it would be an especially good challenge for the Soundscape's anti-feedback knob.

One has to wonder why an Element-equipped guitar was chosen for the NAMM demo. Was it because USTs are the most common pickup type? Was it because the dry signal/processed signal improvement is most dramatic with a UST? Was it some combination of factors?

There's no doubt that ToneDexter is very effective with soundboard pickups. If the Soundscape turns out to be just as effective with respect to tone, the Soundscape's more versatile EQ and more adjustable anti-feedback feature could make it a great piece of gear for SBT users. Interesting times ahead.

Last edited by guitaniac; 02-07-2020 at 03:55 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification