The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-05-2020, 01:23 PM

And the playoffs will still be interesting without the Patriots. With a possible Brees vs Rodgers NFC championship, and Mahomes vs Jackson on the AFC side. I see those two possibilities more interesting than the super bowl itself!
Old 01-05-2020, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Yep and the sky is also blue. I know the haters are salivating of a very possible NE dynasty ending but I don’t see Brady moving to another team or retiring. Kraft will give his golden boy whatever he wants.
Brady is 42. He's stated that he probably won't be playing past 45.

It would be unwise for the Patriots to ignore that...
Old 01-05-2020, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
Not only was it 3 straight runs, it was 3 straight runs to the left side. It was a yard... just run it up the middle. I honestly don't understand some of Josh's calls. The other thing I had a huge problem with was constantly using a spread formation from the shotgun all year long. The Pats didn't have the WRs and TEs to exploit a spread, so I never understood this. Just get in the I formation and run plays out of that so a team isn't sure if you're always throwing, or at least have the receivers in bunches for crossing routes. It's almost like Josh thought he had the same team he had 3 years ago... very weird and frustrating.
Yea. I figured on 2nd down they would pass but I was wrong. 3rd down I didn't have a clue what the Pats would do. At least Folk kicked the field goal but those 4 extra points could have won the game for the Pats.

Henry (RB) was a beast! On one scoring drive he accounted for all 75 (or so) yards, including a catch. Still, the Pats' defense only allowed 14 points with the other 6 points coming off that INT. Pats' defense did their job.
Old 01-05-2020, 02:10 PM

If Brady were to leave NE it would have to be to a team with a great O line.
The thing that seems to go unnoticed is that he rarely gets touched and has lots of time to throw the ball. This has been the case for years.
Whether it’s the talent, player development or scheme, the line play at NE would make an average QB look good.
New England fans may not agree, but watch some tape.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 01-05-2020, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
And the playoffs will still be interesting without the Patriots. With a possible Brees vs Rodgers NFC championship, and Mahomes vs Jackson on the AFC side. I see those two possibilities more interesting than the super bowl itself!
"STILL" be interesting? The whole point for most of us "haters" (I reject the term, but I'm not gonna change your mind) is that they'll be a lot MORE interesting without the Patriots dominating the conversation. I've never "hated" the Pats, I've got nothing but respect for them, but I'm sick and tired of them being the story every year. So now they're the story today, but by tomorrow they'll just be a human interest story, not a football story. The playoffs will move on and be a lot more fun and interesting for everyone who's not specifically a Pats fan.

-Ray
Old 01-05-2020, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
"STILL" be interesting? The whole point for most of us "haters" (I reject the term, but I'm not gonna change your mind) is that they'll be a lot MORE interesting without the Patriots dominating the conversation. I've never "hated" the Pats, I've got nothing but respect for them, but I'm sick and tired of them being the story every year. So now they're the story today, but by tomorrow they'll just be a human interest story, not a football story. The playoffs will move on and be a lot more fun and interesting for everyone who's not specifically a Pats fan.

-Ray

You can claim not to be a Patriots hater all you want, but your past posts say otherwise. Good for you that it seems like you’re finally going to get to enjoy a NFL post season.
Old 01-05-2020, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
The thing that seems to go unnoticed is that he rarely gets touched and has lots of time to throw the ball. This has been the case for years.
Whether it’s the talent, player development or scheme, the line play at NE would make an average QB look good.
I absolutely cannot imagine Brady, at age 42, moving to a new team with a new coach and a different system. He's great, but he's not nearly as great with any other active coach other than Belicheck. His skills have finally begun to seriously diminish. I saw one REALLY good throw last night, a number of competent ones to open receivers, and quite a few pretty bad ones. He can probably have another productive year or two under Belicheck if they improve the offense around him. But his days are numbered and this is not the time to be taking on brand new endeavors. At least not as a NFL QB.

OTOH, if McDaniels leaves to be a head coach, I have trouble seeing Brady getting started with a new coordinator. Unless it's someone already in the organization who keeps the system pretty much intact. Or if Belicheck plays that role more actively for another couple years.

-Ray
Old 01-05-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:

Yes because all it takes to be a great QB is to throw the ball. Brady has always been a pocket passer, he couldn’t run even when he was young. He is great because of his pre-snap wits, and his ability to carry an average team all the way. It’s been quite a few years where the Pats are less than great, yet they’re always super bowl contenders. That’s the Brady-Belichick magic right there. You don’t make it to the Super bowl 3 years in a row and win two if your QB is just “average” unless he’s well protected by his o-line.
Old 01-05-2020, 03:42 PM

Quote:
You're overlooking his pocket presence though. He's one of the best of all time at moving in the pocket.

A lot of people think Brady isn't great and it's all the system. That is complete nonsense. If you watch him over the years, his decision making, pocket presence, accurate throws, and performance under pressure is absolutely elite in any system.

Now, the question is has he really lost something, or was it just not having confidence in his receivers that caused him to be a little off. I honestly think it was more of the latter. When the receivers uncovered and where they were supposed to be, he was hitting them consistently all year. It just didn't happen much. He probably has lost a little bit though due to age too.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 01-05-2020, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

Exciting Saints-Viking game with Vikings practically shutting the Saints down in their own house for first three quarters. Saints showed no semblance of their typical offensive game until the 4th quarter but they couldn’t bring home the bacon for the 3rd year in a row. The Brees fumble when they were on the Vikings 20 yard line with less than 5 minutes to play hurt! I really believed this was going to be their year. Sigh......
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)

Last edited by SprintBob; 01-05-2020 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-05-2020, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabarone View Post
The Patriots did the same thing in Week 7 while up 33-0 on the Jets...

“It’s probably a loophole that’ll be closed and probably should be closed, but right now it’s open,” Belichick said after the game
I chuckled during yesterday’s game watching Belichicks reaction. The irony...eludes.
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 01-05-2020, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
Exciting Saints-Viking game with Vikings practically shutting the Saints down in their own house for first three quarters. Saints showed no semblance of their typical offensive game until the 4th quarter but they couldn’t bring home the bacon for the 3rd year in a row. The Brees fumble when they were on the Vikings 20 yard line with less than 5 minutes to play hurt! I really believed this was going to be their year. Sigh......
Kirk Cousins finally came through. When the Vikings had the ball in OT at the 1 my initial thought was just to kick a FG on first down. Didn't want to keep the game in Cousins' hands. I was wrong - he pulled it off.
Old 01-05-2020, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

Jeez, the Eagles were a long shot anyway. With Wentz out with what sounds like a concussion, fergetaboutit. Oh well...

My villain teams (Cowboys, Patriots, Saints) are all off playing golf now, so I’ll be cool with just watching some good football and being happy for whoever wins. I pretty much like every team left in it...

-Ray
Old 01-05-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
You're overlooking his pocket presence though. He's one of the best of all time at moving in the pocket.

A lot of people think Brady isn't great and it's all the system. That is complete nonsense. If you watch him over the years, his decision making, pocket presence, accurate throws, and performance under pressure is absolutely elite in any system.

Now, the question is has he really lost something, or was it just not having confidence in his receivers that caused him to be a little off. I honestly think it was more of the latter. When the receivers uncovered and where they were supposed to be, he was hitting them consistently all year. It just didn't happen much. He probably has lost a little bit though due to age too.

Must’ve been frustrating for him that even Edelman was dropping passes. And Sanu has shown great potential but I can tell that Brady has yet to truly trust him. He needs another Gronk that’s for sure. The whole team was off, it’s not fair to put it all on Brady. But that’s how it is, the QB takes most of the glory, but also takes most of the blame when things don’t go well.
Old 01-05-2020, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
That was a grand game, wasn't it? Us Vikings fans still have (somewhat) bitter memories of the attempted murder of Brett Favre 10 years ago, and a win over the Saints, especially on the road, and a playoff game to boot, is especially satisfying.

Next week, 49ers. Hope today's Kirk Cousins shows up again.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic