The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 12-16-2019, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras
Default Mary Chapin Carpenter/Shawn Colvin Concert

Back in April, I got tickets to see Mary Chapin Carpenter and Shawn Colvin in concert together in San Francisco. The concert was this past Saturday night (12/14) at the Palace of Fine Arts and it was thoroughly enjoyable. Mary's voice sounded fabulous and it was fun to hear them do some of their favorite cover songs as well as sing harmony on each other's songs. The highlight was them doing a medley of cheesy pop songs that they admitted to feeling guilty about really loving. They really got the audience into it.

As much as I enjoyed the evening there were a few annoyances. The sound didn't really get dialed in until halfway through. Shawn was using pedals (One was a flanger as my more techy friend told me) and Mary was not. Shawn's guitar and mic were a bit boomy and it took the sound folks a while to balance that out. There was no intermission, just a straight two hours of music and stories. I would have preferred a little less banter and a bit more music but it was the last stop on their tour and you could tell that they were really enjoying themselves. Even they admitted though that they had a few more songs for us but they had to stop because of another event that was scheduled at the venue.

Both women have an amazing body of work and Mary announced that she is getting ready to record a new batch of songs. For a longtime fan of both singer songwriters, I left totally feeling like I got my money's worth.

Best,
Jayne
Old 12-16-2019, 10:50 AM
Musical minimalist

I had my finger on the buy button for a single, second row seat for their show here in MI.....something stopped me.

I wish I had gone now!

Old 12-16-2019, 11:46 AM

I saw them together several years ago in StL and really enjoyed it as well.
Old 12-16-2019, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
I had my finger on the buy button for a single, second row seat for their show here in MI.....something stopped me.

I wish I had gone now!
I was in the 8th row pretty much dead center - great seats and could easily see that Mary played her big maple Greven, a Huss & Dalton OM, a Huss & Dalton Slope Shoulder Dread, and what looked to be maybe a Huss & Dalton deep body 00 on one or two songs. All sounded great and complemented Shawn's Martin's nicely.

Best,
Jayne

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN