The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-18-2018, 02:49 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Make a binding jig

I made this binding jig about seven years ago and have been using ever since with consistent success:

I've had a number of people ask me about it and thought others might be unhappy with their current system and would like to try this set up:

I put together a little Flickr album with measurements and I added notes in the description. Here is a link to the album:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/283528...h/32356157733/

If you go for it I hope it serves you as well as mine has worked for me!

Mark

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher

Last edited by Mark Hatcher; 01-08-2020 at 05:13 AM.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:58 PM

I have a down cut bit but it is only 1/4" diameter. I find I get inconstant results due to unintended movements with my version of the jig. I was wondering if I should go to a larger diameter even though that means loosing the down cut feature?
Old 04-18-2018, 03:20 PM

As an aside, the original jig comes from Jean Larrivee and his apprentices. I first saw it in the 1970's while visiting Grit Laskin.

A commercial version of the jig is available from Canadian Luthier Supply, https://www.canadianluthiersupply.co...ts/binding-jig. There is an "improved version" also, though I can't find the link to it at the moment.

In my opinion, having tried many binding jig options, this is the best of the jigs out there. Easy to use, gives excellent results and is difficult to screw up.

Thanks, Mark, for sharing your design.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:57 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
I have a down cut bit but it is only 1/4" diameter. I find I get inconstant results due to unintended movements with my version of the jig. I was wondering if I should go to a larger diameter even though that means loosing the down cut feature?
If I understand what you said, the cutter diameter is 1/4". If that's the case, I believe the larger diameter is helpful. Here is why, with the larger diameter cutter you can use larger diameter dumb bells and with those you can line the center of the dumb bell with the center of the cutter. This way you rock the side left and right without changing the depth of the cut. This helps a lot for curves, like the inside of a cut away. Also the larger diameter dumb bell is just going to slide easier.

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 04-18-2018, 05:01 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
As an aside, the original jig comes from Jean Larrivee and his apprentices. I first saw it in the 1970's while visiting Grit Laskin.

A commercial version of the jig is available from Canadian Luthier Supply, https://www.canadianluthiersupply.co...ts/binding-jig. There is an "improved version" also, though I can't find the link to it at the moment.

In my opinion, having tried many binding jig options, this is the best of the jigs out there. Easy to use, gives excellent results and is difficult to screw up.

Thanks, Mark, for sharing your design.
That original Canadian design was probably the first time I saw this kind of set up. They weren't making them 7 years ago when I made this. I've also seen very similar designs that were used in the 40s that were belt driven instead of using a router.

Old 04-18-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Easy to use, gives excellent results and is difficult to screw up.
So then, what are you saying about me?
Old 04-19-2018, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
So then, what are you saying about me?
Nothing. It probably says something about your jig, though.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
I've also seen very similar designs that were used in the 40s that were belt driven instead of using a router.
Interesting. I didn't know that.

Kudos for making your own.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Nothing. It probably says something about your jig, though.
Just kidding.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:08 PM

Chris Ensor makes a really nice version...
Old 04-19-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
Chris Ensor makes a really nice version...

Thanks, that's what I was looking for and couldn't find the link or the name. An obvious improvement over the Larrivee type jig.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0phI-2I4DI
Old 04-19-2018, 11:55 PM

Thank you, Mark! Much appreciated!
Old 04-26-2018, 04:36 PM

Hi Mark, thanks for sharing those plans and pics. Couple questions.what are the 2 diameter sizes of the dumb bells? Do you need a smaller rabbet bit with the smaller dumb bell? And do the wheels turn or do you just glide across the dumb bell. Hope I don’t sound like a dumb bell. Thanks
Old 04-26-2018, 05:39 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonneybear View Post
Hi Mark, thanks for sharing those plans and pics. Couple questions.what are the 2 diameter sizes of the dumb bells? Do you need a smaller rabbet bit with the smaller dumb bell? And do the wheels turn or do you just glide across the dumb bell. Hope I don’t sound like a dumb bell. Thanks
The different size dumb bells are to cut different depths. The cutter remains the same. It is better to change the diameter of the dumb bell then to simply raise or lower them. When the dumb bells centers are aligned with the center of the cutter it will cut the same depth when you rock the guitar left or right like when you're in tight places. I actually have about 5 sizes that meet my needs.

The side just slides along the nylon dumb bells. I haven't tried making them roll but, I believe that little bit of resistance might be better for control. In any case it isn't a problem not rolling.

Old 04-27-2018, 06:29 AM

Ok, got it. Thanks, can you share with us the diameter of the wheels most commonly used? You mentioned you had 5 sets. Thanks in advance.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair