The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-04-2001, 08:10 PM

Arrow Harmonicas?

I'd like to start playin a bit of harmonica eventually but I really have no idea of the basics. Do harmonicas come in different keys, like G or D or whatever. What difference does the key make? Can a harmonica have more than one key? Diatonic?
Who makes a good harmonica? Is there a "Taylor" of the harmonica world? What do I need to know about harmonicas? Thanks very much.
Old 03-04-2001, 09:09 PM

Talking

Sure. They come in all the major keys. As to what difference the key makes, same difference as playing the guitar in different keys.

Hohner makes a good harmonica. Get a couple of different keys. "C" is good for folk and country, "E" is a good blues key.

They also make a chromatic harp with a button on the side for flats and sharps.

Get an around-the-neck harmonica holder so you can play guitar and harmonica at the same time. Lots of fun.
Old 03-04-2001, 11:23 PM

This raises another question I've had, when you say a different guitar key is that like using a capo? I really have no idea what you mean by different keys. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-18-2001, 02:11 AM

lee oskar is like the taylor of harmonicas...good quality harps...they even put the 'blues position' key on some of the models they make....like 'C' harmonica is in the key of c if your mostly blowing,but if you draw, up to the 6th hole i think, then you arer playing 'BLUES' style and that is in the key of 'G' ...i think...????i still havent got that key thang worked out yet myself....lol
Old 03-23-2001, 01:25 PM

Cool

I have seen lee oskar harmonicas that are able to take replacement guts that offer many varietys of keys.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification