The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-03-2001, 11:04 AM

Thumbs up I tried out a 2001 614ce and......

Howdy

I went to a Sam Ash in the Valley (for us LA peoples, y'all should know where that is!) and i was dismayed to see their Taylor inventory was still the same from the last time i visited (methinks a few months ago). But oh well... i just didn't care since playing with Taylors are fun for me anyhow

Anyways, my church friend (who went with me) picked up a 614ce and played it in front of me. I thought that 614ce was the one i've seen at that store, but i kept looking at it. The rosette sure looked different so i thought he had some special guitar.

The rosette design had been "improved" in my opinion, since the plastic ring around the abalone rosette was closed in towards the abalone. Dunno if it makes sense... hehe

I bent closely to look at the sticker and it was a natural-colour 2001 614ce, freshly made on 1/11/2001!

I was like WHOA~ a 2001 model! Cool!

Now... playing it was even more exciting~

Why do i say that? Normally, i don't like the 614ce's that have been made because of a "bad-taste-in-the-mouth" kinda experience. We have a 614c at our church and frankly, that one has a lot of problems. Because of that, i just don't like playing wih 614s. This 2001 beaut however blew away that "bad taste!"

The playability was totally Taylor and i was smitten by its sound. I plugged it in to an amp and it was even better! That lil' 614ce responded to every pick and strum i did and the amp did a wonderful job resonating that sound.

Man........ can't wait til all the new 2001 models come out!!! This is gonna be a wonderful year!! hehehe Of course, Taylor has always been a miracle maker for me, so i can't expect anything less with the new 2001 models!!!! WOOOOOHOOOOOO

Blessings,
nick
Old 02-06-2001, 12:25 AM
AGF Owner & Founder

After playing the new 712CE, I'm looking around at what I can sell... I'm equally excited about what I've seen so far of the 2001 lineup.

J.R.

[This message has been edited by J.R. Rogers (edited 02-05-2001).]
Old 03-03-2001, 02:36 AM

Just played a new 614ce the other day. Never had tried one before. Very nice guitar for the money. The one I played had some gorgeous butterscotch sort of color stained maple back. Very pretty. And no, I didn't buy it. Just played and said thanks. Couldn't help looking up at that Les Paul Elegant hanging on the wall, though. Man, JR, you should never have sent me that photo.
Old 03-25-2001, 10:55 PM

Thumbs up

I've had my 2001 714ce for a week now and can't stop looking at it (or playing it). I had no idea of the changes made prior to ordering it and called Taylor to see if I had a rare though lovely mistake with the inlaid wood rosette. I was told that it was no mistake and the Taylor rep enlightened me to the wood binding that I hadn't noticed yet. The guitar's beauty is so subtle it's incredible. The new 714 defines understated elegance. I'm a relative novice guitar player but I expect that my infatuation with this beautiful instrument will facilitate rapid growth in my abilities. As much as I love the look of all the Taylors I've seen,some look absolutely tacky to me now. I went to Sam Ash and saw the pre-millenium 714 that I first fell in love with and it looks kind of cheap now with the plastic binding and abalone rosette. I'm hoping with time my ear will develop so I can really appreciate the tone. I'm one of those who know when things sound different,not necessarily better.
Old 03-26-2001, 12:09 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Talking

Hi, crflwththtax! Welcome to the forum. Good choice on the 714ce... I have one, myself. Welcome to the family.

I agree - I really love the wood binding on the new one. But the sound is really what makes the 714CE one of my favorites. I played it for hours this weekend, and really appreciate it more and more every time I pick it up.

J.R.
Old 03-26-2001, 02:07 PM
Nichols Custom Inlay

Hey JR,
Your gonna get me in trouble!
After reading your posts about the new 714 I decided to spend some quality time with one before a Taylor clinic that I attended. I have to say that I like everything about this guitar. The rosewood was gorgeous, the wood binding beautiful, the Koa rosette very tasteful, the cedar top stunning and the sound was terrific. The warmth of the cedar is nicely balanced by the string definition of the rosewood. A very nice combination. So now of course I want one! The problem is that I don't have any guitars left that I am willing to part with and my wife still has the "if one comes one goes" rule. I guess this will take some negotiating, or groveling whichever works.
Old 03-26-2001, 02:47 PM

hehehee, that sucks... i don't have a wife to say that.. i just don't have the money to do that.. what guitar do you have now?
Old 03-26-2001, 02:59 PM
Nichols Custom Inlay

Hi Tony,
Currently my Taylors are:

612C

814BCE
W14C custom
KLSM

See that big space where the 714 would fit in so nicely.
Old 03-26-2001, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CaptBill:

The problem is that I don't have any guitars left that I am willing to part with and my wife still has the "if one comes one goes" rule. I guess this will take some negotiating, or groveling whichever works.
Capt,

I am single and I have heard many married guys tell about this rule that their wife put in place. Before I get married is there something I can do so my wife does not learn about this one comes, one goes rule??? Where do they teach them this? I'll make sure to avoid it at all costs!
Old 03-26-2001, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Erm:
Before I get married is there something I can do so my wife does not learn about this one comes, one goes rule??? Where do they teach them this?
Harvard would probably be the best place in your area. They teach you how to be a lawyer or a doctor or sumptin' like that. Six-figure income trumps the one-in/one-out rule (or so I've been told, wouldn't have any personal experience with that!)

~ Paul
If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Romans 12:18
Old 03-26-2001, 04:45 PM
Nichols Custom Inlay

Wink

Erm,
My advice would be to buy as many guitars now while you can. Even if they are banged up cheapos with only two strings left on them. Then once your married you'll have lots of guitars that can leave when a new Taylor comes home.
Old 03-26-2001, 05:35 PM

hahahahaa.. that's a smart idea!!.. i'll do that!! oh wait.. i'm only 20.. long till i get married. . hehe
Old 03-26-2001, 08:10 PM

Thumbs down

six figure income does not obviate the "too many" guitars or "one in, one out" rule....I think the best angle of attack would be to marry a guitarist.....and let them get TAS too!
Old 03-26-2001, 10:53 PM

Erm,

You could get full agreement in writing before hand and even put it in a pre-nup and it wouldn't make a bit of difference. She very well might change her mind and there's not a thing you can do about it.

Note to my female forum siblings: I say this with a balance of tounge-in-cheek and honesty and with nothing but love and reverence for ya'll.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification