The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-01-2020, 12:20 AM

Default Lowden Question

Not having the chance to play or hear a Lowden live (particularly the F-25), I have been watching way too many You Tube videos. I am on one hand blown away by the deep resonant tone on most of the recordings, but yet on the other hand, some sound like rubber bands. I don't understand the wide variety of the tonal spectrum. Is it all in the recording technology?
This is not to "dis" Lowdens in any way - to the contrary. I have been seriously considering purchasing an F-25 or F-23 based upon what I've heard on You Tube and read on line. Only reservation is the occasional poor sounding video. It's a large amount of $$ to spend. Only have one guitar: Martin 000-16Sgt and think a RW/Cedar would be a nice addition, especially with lower tunings.
Lowden owners: Your thoughts?
Thank You.
Old 04-01-2020, 01:54 AM
Charter Member

Could be poor mics or mic-ing technique, could be a bad-sounding room, could be down-tuning using too-light a string-gauge, could be the playing-style involved (some players 'yank' at the strings deliberately to get that 'twangy' sound). Or it could just be the way a Lowden sounds. It could be various things.

None of my Lowdens (I’ve owned three, down to one now) have sounded ‘like rubber bands’, they all have that classy, loud, sustaining tone that I expect from a top-class, hand-built instrument.

Your best bet would be, when the current virus-situation is over, to take a trip somewhere where you can get to play some Lowdens, and decide for yourself. The Lowden sound, magical though some of us find it, ain't for everyone - especially if you're deeply immersed in what I'd describe as 'The American Sound'. They don't sound like your average Martin, Taylor or Gibson, that's for sure.

But watching videos is no substitute for experiencing the real thing.

The Usual Disclaimers apply - IMHO, YMMV, yadda yadda...

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

Last edited by JayBee1404; 04-01-2020 at 02:27 AM.
Old 04-01-2020, 03:47 AM

To me the Lowden sound is rich and warm. Not as bright as Martin/Taylor but still clear. I would say best suited to fingerstyle.

If my wife hears a guitar being played she hears a guitar but when she hears a Lowden anywhere she says 'That's a Lowden'.

When I pick mine up I don't just hear the tone, I feel it coming through the wood. Might not suit everyone but it suits me perfectly. Try one (or two or three), you might be surprised.

YouTube
Old 04-01-2020, 04:40 AM

Firstly, I wouldn’t disagree with any of the comments about Lowdens in the replies above.

While nothing beats playing a guitar in person, there are ways of using YouTube videos that reduce the risk of any guitar you order from differing greatly (tonally) from your expectations:

Quick method: Ignore the worst and best examples and take an average of the rest

More considered method:
For each review you watch look to see whether the poster has other videos of other guitars. Do they all sound equally good/bad/indifferent? If everything sounds wonderful or awful then they are not very helpful - even though that may be a true representation of those particular instruments.

What you ideally want is someone who demonstrates a wide variety of guitars, ideally using a similar recording setup/environment each time, where you can clearly differentiate tonal difference between instruments, and preferably has some videos of guitars you are familiar with in person. If they either demonstrate a range of styles or are playing in your preferred style (if you have one) then even better.

Also, it’s generally best to ignore comments under the videos, every awful brash distorted cacophony will have a “wow, that sounds amazing, where can I buy one?” and every beautiful, rich, sonorous delight will have “doesn’t sound any better than my ...(insert cheap all laminate of your choice)”.

One YouTube channel I think does meet these criteria is Ian Meadows. Unfortunately, I think the only Lowdens’ he’s demonstrated are the new Sheeran’s.

I’m sure others will have their own methods and/or disagreements with the above.

Best regards,
Clive.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:36 AM

Could you post a link to a video that sounds like rubber bands? I've got an O25c and I don't get any of what I think you are talking about. Mine is rich, full, articulate and has tons of glorious overtones.

BTW - as magical as they sound, put them in a drop tuning and whoa! Nothing does alternate tunings like a Lowden does.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:48 AM

Get a chance to play one, they're anything like rubber bands lol
Old 04-01-2020, 07:12 AM

I've never owned a Lowden but have had the chance to play a few. Apart from the wee Lowden, which was incredibly powerful for its size but I thought sounded very boxy, they've all had very rich, rounded tone. For fingerstyle, I definitely enjoyed the sound produced. However, the reason that I don't have one is a question of ergonomics. I really felt the lower bout pushed my shoulder out and forwards and just couldn't get comfortable with them. As always your mileage may vary, but I would expect this to be a bigger factor than tone based on my experience.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:15 AM
Charter Member

I have an F35. In short, no other one of my guitars comes close to matching the volume, sustain, and clarity of the Lowden. I describe the sound as a little "metallic" at times but it's something to get used to I'm sure will round out as the guitar is broken in. Im the original owner and it's only been 2-3 months.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:34 AM

Thanks to all who replied to my post. Great suggestions and exactly what I was seeking. Apologies for the rubber band comment (hyperbole). However, there is a stark difference in tonal quality with the same
models. Again, appreciate your comments and help.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricketts View Post
...I am on one hand blown away by the deep resonant tone on most of the recordings, but yet on the other hand, some sound like rubber bands. .....
It has to be poor recording/listening equipment. From my experience Lowdens are among the most consistent guitars made. I've never touched one that wasn't full and resonant with great string articulation and an even balanced tone that makes you feel like you're playing something much bigger. My favorite size is the O.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy the dog View Post
To me the Lowden sound is rich and warm. Not as bright as Martin/Taylor but still clear. I would say best suited to fingerstyle.
Since when is Martin lumped in with Taylor as far as sounding bright?
Old 04-01-2020, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

People react differently to the unique Lowden tone even when hearing it in person. Some find it nasal, boxy and strident while others hear it as clear, bold and rich. My F25 is perfect for my DADGAD only, finger style only, most nails vs finger tips playing preferences. I wouldn't choose it if I were doing heavy strumming. If you have the patience, a good used F25 can be purchased for a reasonable price. Good luck in your decision making.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:53 AM

Every Lowden I have heard or played has been at least rich and full. Larger models maybe a little more than smaller models. The sound may not be the right sound for everyone, but it would seem far more credible to think the "rubber band' sound is caused by the recording equipment, strings, picks, or anything but the guitar. Would only add that I think my Lowden and many others I have heard in person or on recordings are great guitars for flat picking. I play mine with a pick and I can hardly play finger style at all (not such a good guitar player really but a better flat picker).

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 04-01-2020, 09:29 AM

For what it's worth I'll say that any Lowden I've played sounded great to my ears. My problem (fussy as I am) is I don't like the look of them. nor do I like the pin-less bridge. I'm a hopeless traditionalist.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw meyer View Post
For what it's worth I'll say that any Lowden I've played sounded great to my ears. My problem (fussy as I am) is I don't like the look of them. nor do I like the pin-less bridge. I'm a hopeless traditionalist.
Whether someone likes, or dislikes, the appearance of a guitar is just personal taste. But if you prefer pin-bridges, Lowden are happy to build guitars with pin-bridges - I’ve seen and played one or two - but those are special-order items.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion