The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-19-2022, 12:21 AM
Charter Member

Default Would this harm a vintage?

Our 0-18 is kind of astonishing to me. It is a nearly pristine, unmodified 1952 instrument. Except for a very small amount of belt buckle rash on the back, it looks almost brand new. It’s all original, including the tuners and plastic bridge pins, except for maybe its bone nut and saddle (I don’t know if these were used in 1952). There’s not even a strap pin on the neck. Better yet, as Gryphon presented it to us seven years ago, it is perfectly set up and plays like a dream. And to top it off, we paid the same price as the 0-18 that rejoined Martin’s active production catalog a couple of years after we bought it. No premium for a perfect 1952. Maybe we just got lucky with the prior owner not having a current model for price comparison?

What I’m wondering is whether installing a pickup in it would somehow degrade its vintage status. It’s not as though it has a higher dollar value than a 2022 0-18 (at least, we didn’t pay more), although it most definitely is worth more to me as a 70-year-old beauty. But it would also be worth more to me with a few extras.

Would the vintage value of this guitar go down if a modern pickup is installed? What about new tuners? Or a strap pin?

I can see I’m opening the discussion of “value” and all that that entails.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 05-19-2022, 12:52 AM

If it was mine I’d keep it pristine, but it’s not mine sadly.
Old 05-19-2022, 03:56 AM

My understanding is there are two different kinds of vintage 'status':

1. Collector status - this means completely unmodified, so even adding a strap button can deter purchasers.

2. Player status - these buyers would be happy with minor modifications which enhance the playability of the guitar.

You'd have to find out whether your model/year is one which collectors want, and if so whether the condition is good enough to attract collectors.

If not, then minor improvements probably won't hurt its value at all, and some might even enhance it slightly (or make fo a quicker sale).

For things like adding a pickup or replacing tuners, my thinking would be to do so in the least invasive way possible, so that changes could be (nearly) reversed. So I'd go for something like a K&K, where the transducers can be unglued from the bridge plate, rather than an under-saddle piezo which requires drilling and maybe some work on the saddle slot. I'd think about using a jack which fits in the existing end pin hole, rather than drilling out that hole. Similarly with tuners - enlarging the post holes or plugging and re-drilling is more invasive than fitting new tuners which might only differ in the location of the screw holes.

Saving the old parts seems to be a good idea - some people like the possibility of replacing them, even if they never actually do it.

I'm having this debate myself over my 1931 Gibson tenor guitar, which is far from collector grade. Fortunately I amplify with a mic, and tying the strap to the headstock works out fine for me. But the 2:1 pancake tuners were never that good, and time has not been kind to them - however, there's no replacement which doesn't require surgery to the instrument, and I've learned how to tune with them so I'll probably keep it original, out of respect to the instrument and its history.
Old 05-19-2022, 05:29 AM

Not building too many original 1952 Martins these days.

{Seems they are builing new ones however, with pick-ups, diferent tuners, etc.}

Personally, if looking at vintage/70 year old guitars, I would pass on ones modern modifications. Pristine however?? Oh yeah!
Old 05-19-2022, 05:39 AM

Adding a pickup won't "harm" the guitar. If you do it as a permanent modification It will certainly reduce its market value to some potential buyers. I buy 'em to play 'em, not to plan for later resale. I've installed pickups in almost every acoustic instrument I have.

But there is another way. My 2017 HD-28 Is not and likely won't ever be collectible. But I didn't want to drill out the endpin for the standard switchjack I use in most installs. So I used a Tapastring Vintage jack. As far as mounting the twin head JJB pickup I did what I always have - mount to the bridge plate using blue putty. The entire pickup and jack can be removed and the guitar returned to its original status. Its not a permanent modification.
Old 05-19-2022, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1j View Post

Would the vintage value of this guitar go down if a modern pickup is installed? What about new tuners? Or a strap pin?
Short answer is yes, the value would go down.

Longer answer: If you replace the tuners, use drop in replacements and keep the originals in the case. Whatever you do, don't drill it out for Grovers or something like that. A strap button is very minor and isn't going to kill the value or anything and if it's the difference between playing it or not, do it! The pickup I would avoid if at all possible but again, if it means the difference between playing the guitar and having it sit at home, do it. Just use the least intrusive pickup you can find.
Old 05-19-2022, 06:41 AM

My question is this: if you are thinking of putting in a pick-up, what’s is the purpose? I have to conclude that you want to plug it in and that means likely taking it out of the house to play.

Wouldn’t that be the bigger risk to “vintage” value?

I respect and cherish my few Martins but finally realized a couple years ago that I bought them to be played and that means playing them out. They all have strap pins and K&K’s.

If it’s an investment, keeping in the case. If it’s to be played, do as you chose and love it!
Old 05-19-2022, 06:43 AM
Charter Member

I would not.
Old 05-19-2022, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

….a 52 in primo condition is at the very top in terms of what you could sell it for….I think if you want or need to amplify it and install a pickup you will only slightly devalue the instrument because there are so few that have survived in the condition you describe and the rule of supply and demand will still bring a premium price….

….personally if was wanting to amplify it on a regular basis I’d put a pickup in it….if it was just for an occasional performance and I owned something else with a pickup in it that I was happy with i would not put a pickup in it and I would continue to enjoy its all original condition….but I would probably install some non plastic bridge pins and keep the originals in the case….
Old 05-19-2022, 08:24 AM

Keep that guitar original. Buy another guitar to play out with.
There, problem solved.
Old 05-19-2022, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage View Post
Short answer is yes, the value would go down.

Longer answer: If you replace the tuners, use drop in replacements and keep the originals in the case. Whatever you do, don't drill it out for Grovers or something like that. A strap button is very minor and isn't going to kill the value or anything and if it's the difference between playing it or not, do it! The pickup I would avoid if at all possible but again, if it means the difference between playing the guitar and having it sit at home, do it. Just use the least intrusive pickup you can find.

THIS^^^is a terrific answer...especially the part about "if it means the difference between playing the guitar and having it sit at home, do it."

But what you could/should also do is call Gryphon, where you bought it, and ask them, and if you wanted for extra confirmation, call Schoenberg Guitars as well. Those two shops are as knowledgeable as it gets on "vintage valuation versus playing modification" issues.

Talk wit da fellers what knows wazzup!

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 05-19-2022, 08:39 AM

At the higher end, there are sound-hole pickups that do an amazing job. Such a setup won't diminish the guitar's value, and may give you the flexibility to have it both ways.
Old 05-19-2022, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

I agree with buying another guitar to play out. Maybe a nice reimagined 00-18? Keep the vintage one safe at home. But that's just me.
Old 05-19-2022, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

I guess you folks are right. I could kind of see it coming. I don’t really disagree.

Tugging on my other shoulder, however, are two facts: 1) we paid nothing higher than a new 0-18 costs today, so I don’t know about any vintage price ours might command and 2) (far more germane) we will never sell it.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 05-19-2022, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1j View Post
we will never sell it.
Never tempt fate by using the word "never."

As a side effect of my cancer therapy, I developed peripheral neuropathy in my feet. If this had occurred in my hands as well, as is often the case, it would have been too painful to continue playing the guitar.

That said, I wish you a long and happy relationship as the caretaker of a vintage instrument.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion