The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-16-2022, 05:34 PM

Default Schertler Jam 400 likes to drink IPA's

Hello all - looking for some advice. This post falls under the category of "don't try this at home."

So, at a gig, using my trusty Jam 400 next to me --and yes, the lovely wood top looks like a good place to hold your beer....(until said beer gets knocked over and spills onto the mixer section).

I think 2 channels were burned out - after Jam starting drinking my IPA, 2 times there were loud screeching firework sounds (like old school Piccolo Pete) and both ending with a boom.

I was able to use different channels and was able to keep playing.

1. Does the above sound like the amp would be fixable or likely need to replace?

2. Any recommended Amp repair near Sacramento, CA if repairable?

Thanks
Old 05-16-2022, 07:18 PM
Charter Member

You probably need a new circuit board and/or daughter board(s) in the mixer section. Seems like the power supply and power amp sections survived. You can remove the mixer and ship it to Schertler's USA repair facility.
Old 05-16-2022, 10:18 PM
Charter Member

I’d take it apart and take the electrical parts to a good amp tech and get their opinion. I used the Schertler authorized repair people for an amp problem a while back, and when I got the bill, I think I coulda found a used Schertler for less - possibly a lot less -
Old 05-16-2022, 11:09 PM

The mixer is one board and I had the same thing happen to me, I ordered a replacement board and replaced it myself I had to solder the LEDs in place but it was a straight-forward job. You will see what you need to do with the LEDS when you take the old board out!

If you can't do the job, a local tech could easily do it. The replacement cost of the mixer board was $106 in 2015

Contact Schertler and they will get you the part numbers (the correct revision for your serial number)
Old 05-17-2022, 03:04 PM

Thanks for the replies! I am decidedly unmechanical so doing it myself would not be advised. Good to have a better understanding of the problem

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification