The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-13-2022, 07:33 AM

Default Martin 00-18 12 Fret or alternative

Help me out with this one!

Currently in my guitar stable I have a Waterloo WL-S and an Eastman E10-00 and lately I have been doing a lot of thinking about the two of them and whether or not I should just consolidate them into one guitar.

On one hand the WL-S is light as a feather, has exceptional build quality (something I value a lot) and has tone for days, just exceptional. It's also a bit of a rare bird to find these days and in my eyes is just a beautiful looking guitar. It's distractors for me personally is that it doesn't have a lot of bass response and the soft V on it is a little challenging up past the 5th fret or so.

On the other hand the Eastman has a much more refined/classy sound and I can tell that Adirondack top is just waiting to open up and take the guitar to another level. It's got a very respectable amount of bass response too and offers a much more dynamic range for whatever I throw at it. I also prefer the C neck profile on it. However, the Eastman lacks that build perfection that you get with the Waterloo and while it is not a heavy guitar, it's not light either.

So I got myself to thinking is there something out there that combines the best of both worlds?

- 00 size
- short scale
- 1 3/4 nut or larger
- C neck shape
- 12 fret
- scalloped X bracing
- spruce over mahogany
- light in weight and exceptional build quality

If I liquidated these guitars I imagine I would have roughly 4K to play with so most if not all boutique builds would be out of my reach. So where does that leave it? My gut tells me that there might be a Martin custom run out there that would fit that bill but I truly have no idea if there is. Or maybe a standard Martin 00-18 would do the trick?

Any suggestions?
Old 05-13-2022, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

If you can handle a long scale, the Furch Vintage series are EXCEPTIONAL quality, fit, finish and sound and play amazingly well. They are less than 2k with a hiscox case and worth double that compared to what else is out there. Ticks most of your boxes other than the scale and not sure about the carve of the x-bracing.

The other one to consider is a IRIS guitar OG 12 fret. That will be available with all of your specific desires. They make a really light and high quality guitar and they sound just amazing. Well under your budget ultimately, too.

Old 05-13-2022, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

I have a 00-18 reimagined with scalloped bracing and it has just about the same bass and depth as my D-18. It's got crazy deep tone for a small guitar. But the trade off is it seems to lack clarity in the trebles, compared to my D-18 and my G-00. That could be solved with a different string choice. And that probably won't bother you if you don't have other guitars sitting around to compare it to. My 00-18 definitely could be my only guitar, since I don't do a lot of strumming.
Old 05-13-2022, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr81dorn View Post
If you can handle a long scale, the Furch Vintage series are EXCEPTIONAL quality, fit, finish and sound and play amazingly well. They are less than 2k with a hiscox case and worth double that compared to what else is out there. Ticks most of your boxes other than the scale and not sure about the carve of the x-bracing.

The other one to consider is a IRIS guitar OG 12 fret. That will be available with all of your specific desires. They make a really light and high quality guitar and they sound just amazing. Well under your budget ultimately, too.

You know, you are absolutely correct on the OG. Iris is a brand that I've looked into and appreciate in the same sense as I do the Waterloos. A few ads in our classifieds describe them as a 'Waterloo on steroids' which I can't say I wouldn't like.

I am looking up their specs/ordering options online and it looks like it would tick off all those boxes at about $3000 brand spanking new. I shudder at the 12-14 months wait time though but I suppose it is what it is.

Have you ever played an Iris and if so which model(s)?
Old 05-13-2022, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollypolly View Post
I have a 00-18 reimagined with scalloped bracing and it has just about the same bass and depth as my D-18. It's got crazy deep tone for a small guitar. But the trade off is it seems to lack clarity in the trebles, compared to my D-18 and my G-00. That could be solved with a different string choice. And that probably won't bother you if you don't have other guitars sitting around to compare it to. My 00-18 definitely could be my only guitar, since I don't do a lot of strumming.
If it's got that kind of bass coming out of it I would be surprised but I guess the good news is that I could always try to find one at a store and play it first. I just might do it now.
Old 05-13-2022, 11:17 AM

In 2015, I ordered a custom Martin 000-12 fret

Similar specs to your proposed guitar except I have a 3 piece mahogany back and sides and low profile neck to match my stock OM35.

Old style decal, herringbone trim and tortoise appointments including neck binding plus slotted headstock.

Mine was less than the $4k and light as a feather. Considering a 0018 with hog top back and sides.
Old 05-13-2022, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Wilder1 View Post
You know, you are absolutely correct on the OG. Iris is a brand that I've looked into and appreciate in the same sense as I do the Waterloos. A few ads in our classifieds describe them as a 'Waterloo on steroids' which I can't say I wouldn't like.

I am looking up their specs/ordering options online and it looks like it would tick off all those boxes at about $3000 brand spanking new. I shudder at the 12-14 months wait time though but I suppose it is what it is.

Have you ever played an Iris and if so which model(s)?
I am IRIS Customer #1 - OG 14 fret and I also, then (stupid luck) am responsible for the lineup growing and the second model is my signature model, the CH. It wouldn't have ever happened if I wasn't just so completely blown away by how good the OG sounded and played. I have had everything in the Waterloo line except the Jumbo King, which I played many times. IRIS and Waterloo aren't even comparable to me. Everything I liked about the Waterloo ended at the aesthetics. They are the quintessential one trick pony to me. AMAZING at that one trick, but very limited voice and range. IRIS is the opposite. Shockingly big, clear and dynamic voices that can handle a ton that you throw at them. I only have experience with the littlest models and I am saying that. Everyone who has the dreads and bigger will double down on that sentiment. Based on what you're looking for, I can't think of a better place to put your money and you can pick out kinda whatever you want...you have a couple great instruments to keep you company while you wait ;-)
Old 05-13-2022, 08:40 PM

Thank you my friend, that is some seriously high praise for Iris!!
Old 05-14-2022, 12:29 AM
Charter Member

i picked up a Martin custom shop 00-12 sinker mahogany/euro spruce from TheMusicEmporium a couple weeks ago(its a custom shop order they try to keep in stock), and its a wonderful guitar in every way.

listen to the videos in the link as they are very accurate as to the tone and projection i experience with mine, playability is excellent as was the total setup as delivered.

it does have the 1 3/4" nut width, 2 5/32" string spacing at the saddle and the Performance taper on the MLO neck profile. shortscale 24.9", solid headstock(not slot head-yea!!!). for me this is personally a fav neck shape/size as i have a reimagined 00-18 14 fret with same neck specs.

i have very good choices at home to pick up and play. this 12 fret custom has been getting most of my attention-its simply excellent in every area while being very ergonomic.

https://themusicemporium.com/product...inker-mahogany

Old 05-14-2022, 01:53 AM
Charter Member

Some nice guitars being mentioned here. My own 00 is a custom build and one thing I like about it is the extra depth in the body, which I believe contributes to to a great bass response and a big sound overall for a small guitar. May be worth keeping in mind if you decide to get something to complement your other 00s.

And I see you live in Waterloo. You have to keep that Waterloo 00 in your stable!
Old 05-14-2022, 03:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Wilder1 View Post
Help me out with this one!

Currently in my guitar stable I have a Waterloo WL-S and an Eastman E10-00 and lately I have been doing a lot of thinking about the two of them and whether or not I should just consolidate them into one guitar.

On one hand the WL-S is light as a feather, has exceptional build quality (something I value a lot) and has tone for days, just exceptional. It's also a bit of a rare bird to find these days and in my eyes is just a beautiful looking guitar. It's distractors for me personally is that it doesn't have a lot of bass response and the soft V on it is a little challenging up past the 5th fret or so.

On the other hand the Eastman has a much more refined/classy sound and I can tell that Adirondack top is just waiting to open up and take the guitar to another level. It's got a very respectable amount of bass response too and offers a much more dynamic range for whatever I throw at it. I also prefer the C neck profile on it. However, the Eastman lacks that build perfection that you get with the Waterloo and while it is not a heavy guitar, it's not light either.

So I got myself to thinking is there something out there that combines the best of both worlds?

- 00 size
- short scale
- 1 3/4 nut or larger
- C neck shape
- 12 fret
- scalloped X bracing
- spruce over mahogany
- light in weight and exceptional build quality

If I liquidated these guitars I imagine I would have roughly 4K to play with so most if not all boutique builds would be out of my reach. So where does that leave it? My gut tells me that there might be a Martin custom run out there that would fit that bill but I truly have no idea if there is. Or maybe a standard Martin 00-18 would do the trick?

Any suggestions?
Hi, well you already own the two that occurred to me.

for a huger dollar option, I can't think of anything better than a Collings 002h, and I believe there is one for sale on this very forum.

As a Collings owner for 21 years myself, after many years of Martins and others, I simply cannot imagine a better builder, or a better product, but then I haven't tried every guitar under the sun yet! (and I'm only 74!)
Old 05-14-2022, 06:44 AM
Charter Member

To answer your question, I'd say no. You have two 00 guitars and a third one would be a third option. I have never found the guitar that fits in that mythical space combining this and that. They are all individual sets of combinations.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 05-14-2022, 09:04 AM

How about a Martin 00-18A?
Old 05-14-2022, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
i picked up a Martin custom shop 00-12 sinker mahogany/euro spruce from TheMusicEmporium a couple weeks ago(its a custom shop order they try to keep in stock), and its a wonderful guitar in every way.

listen to the videos in the link as they are very accurate as to the tone and projection i experience with mine, playability is excellent as was the total setup as delivered.

it does have the 1 3/4" nut width, 2 5/32" string spacing at the saddle and the Performance taper on the MLO neck profile. shortscale 24.9", solid headstock(not slot head-yea!!!). for me this is personally a fav neck shape/size as i have a reimagined 00-18 14 fret with same neck specs.

i have very good choices at home to pick up and play. this 12 fret custom has been getting most of my attention-its simply excellent in every area while being very ergonomic.

https://themusicemporium.com/product...inker-mahogany

Wow Daryl, that guitar is something else and slots in perfectly with what I’m looking for. Thank you for the suggestion and something to think about 100%.
Old 05-14-2022, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
Some nice guitars being mentioned here. My own 00 is a custom build and one thing I like about it is the extra depth in the body, which I believe contributes to to a great bass response and a big sound overall for a small guitar. May be worth keeping in mind if you decide to get something to complement your other 00s.

And I see you live in Waterloo. You have to keep that Waterloo 00 in your stable!
I know right? Ha! It may very well stay or I might look for a WL-12mh as well, I am very into that guitar and can keep a Waterloo on board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi, well you already own the two that occurred to me.

for a huger dollar option, I can't think of anything better than a Collings 002h, and I believe there is one for sale on this very forum.

As a Collings owner for 21 years myself, after many years of Martins and others, I simply cannot imagine a better builder, or a better product, but then I haven't tried every guitar under the sun yet! (and I'm only 74!)
Thanks Silly! You know your videos induced my Eastman GAS which is why I have the 00 now… now I have to resist the Collings temptation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
To answer your question, I'd say no. You have two 00 guitars and a third one would be a third option. I have never found the guitar that fits in that mythical space combining this and that. They are all individual sets of combinations.
This is the other side of the coin, maybe the variety that I shave is the superior option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameleye View Post
How about a Martin 00-18A?
I would think they are outside my budget but maybe not? Thanks, I’ll look at em’.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion