The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-06-2022, 02:02 PM

Default Orangewood Mason Nylon Live

I just posted the following in the "General" section. Thought maybe I should put it here too:

My initial reaction to this was not favorable. Kind of unattractive top wood, a sticky tuner (G string) and some other minor issues. I've been on the search for a nylon string guitar that fits my hand size for a long time. The good news is this one seems to be the one that works (at least for now). Despite that, I strongly considered sending it back. Despite the ugly top wood, it seems to be about the qualit (including tone and good playability ) one would expect for what I paid. They have a generous 30 day trial period. At this point the "jury vote" is 7 to 6 in favor of keeping it. It should in no way be considered a classical guitar. 14 frets to the neck, radius board, narrower neck. But for my uses it may just work. 29 days and counting.....

Guitars:
A few, but on the hunt for the "one"
Old 05-10-2022, 08:52 PM

You can play ten different guitars of the same model and get ten different experiences. I don’t think you should settle for something that isn’t up to your expectations. It’s not that inexpensive of a guitar. I would swap it out for another one if you still can. You deserve to have a better experience.
Old 05-12-2022, 01:48 PM

I ended up returning it. I kind of got to where I liked it, but it just seemed huge to me. I'm used to small bodied steel strings and kind of thought an inexpensive crossover would approximate the size of my Martin 000-15sm. It seemed a lot bigger though. So.....still looking. Leaning towards a Yamaha NTX 1 at this point.

Guitars:
Old 05-14-2022, 10:18 AM

Have you considered a Cordoba Parlor? I prefer a smaller body guitar as well (I have 2 Taylor Grand Concerts that are very comfortable) and the Cordoba C9 Parlor has a very similar feel. Definitely a bigger investment, but they can be found used for about $700.
Old 05-15-2022, 11:42 AM

As you can see I have a steel string parlor - maybe 2 if you count the Taylor. I have also at one time owned a La Patrie Motif - also a parlor. So...... after careful consideration, consulting with my "sales engineer" at Sweetwater, reading every review I could find and listening to a bunch of unplugged YouTube videos, I decided on a Yamaha NTX1. It is incoming...... I'll post my feelings on it once it arrives and I've had a bit of time with it.

Guitars:
Old 05-15-2022, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJScott View Post
I ended up returning it. I kind of got to where I liked it, but it just seemed huge to me. I'm used to small bodied steel strings and kind of thought an inexpensive crossover would approximate the size of my Martin 000-15sm. It seemed a lot bigger though. So.....still looking. Leaning towards a Yamaha NTX 1 at this point.
Have you looked at the Dowina Bona Vida? It's a small and very cute (IMHO) parlor which exists in a nylon-string version. IIRC that one has solid walnut B&S and costs less than 1k€ here in Europe.

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical