The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-03-2022, 08:16 AM

Default Back Again

I'm back again after another layoff due to hand surgery. I think I am going to work more on fingerstyle. Should I concentrate more on Travis Picking or things like arpeggios first? I would like to play songs from John Denver, Jim Croce, and some folk music like PPM. I looked into some courses like Sixstringfingerpicking.com and Dan Thorpe's Fingerstyle 101. Just looking for some opinions.
Thanks,
David
Old 05-03-2022, 09:52 AM

I think both Travis picking as well as arpeggios are very useful to learn, it is difficult to tell you which technique to start with.
But if you look around on Youtube for guitar lessons of songs from John Denver and Jim Croce, you will find a lot of interesting material where people will teach you the picking patterns from the specific songs that you would like to learn.
Old 05-03-2022, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbramsey View Post
I'm back again after another layoff due to hand surgery. I think I am going to work more on fingerstyle. Should I concentrate more on Travis Picking or things like arpeggios first? I would like to play songs from John Denver, Jim Croce, and some folk music like PPM. I looked into some courses like Sixstringfingerpicking.com and Dan Thorpe's Fingerstyle 101. Just looking for some opinions.
Thanks,
David
If you take the three fingerpicking courses from Sixstringfingerpicking.com (beginner, intermediate, advanced), you will get the right stuff in the right order so yo don't have to worry about that. I am not familiar with Dan Thorpe's course, but Sixstringfingerpicking.com is very complete so you won't miss out on anything. He even has a course on arranging for fingerstyle guitars o you don't have to always play somebody else's arrangements. I suggest you simply buy the bundle package and get it all, but then go through the three fingerpicking courses in order before checking out the rest of the courses. I think that bundle is the most cost effective way to go without sacrificing quality and coverage of what you need to learn.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-04-2022, 12:50 AM

Yeah sixstringfingerpicking courses are great just finished the beginners course now onto the intermediate course , great value , good instruction ,well laid out .......
Old 05-06-2022, 06:30 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I think I am going to go with Sixstrin. It seems like it is what I am looking for.
Thanks,
David

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write