The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 05-18-2022, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
Loved this Will - thanks +++ for posting.

I wonder how "difficult" you found playing it? As you know, the original features none other than John Williams playing the nylon part.

Clive will have told you that JW rocked up to the studio and was shown the score for the first time. When Clive asked him what he wanted to do about running through parts etc., JW apparently said something along the lines of, "no need; run the tape": He recorded it in one take, perfectly. Even Clive was gobsmacked, and that's saying something. And Williams was 75 at the time.

Cheers,
Steve
Thanks Steve, and cheers for listening.

As for your question: firstly I can assure you I didn’t just rock up, take one look at it and nail it one take! Clive and I gigged it a couple of times before recording which was good fun. Technically it fits under the fingers quite nicely for the most part (although the speed of the final movement can be hairy!) I think the main thing with it was trying out a good few possibilities: both in terms of musicality and in voicing the melodies. The score doesn’t tell you where to play anything specifically (it’s just the dots), and whilst a lot is fairly obvious, there are a good few areas in which it could be played in a few different positions, and left up to the player to decide. I know I do a few bits differently to JW. I also enjoyed experimenting with where to move to rest stroke / free stroke / sweet / brittle etc etc.

Also interesting to note that this recording is the opposite of what’s on Clive’s album - I’m playing G1 here on steel, which JW played on classical, and Clive played G2 on classical which he initially did on steel for his album.

And the final thing of course is simply reading one another in terms of phrasing, chord rolls, slowing down etc. For this session, if memory serves, we did the 1st movement in 1 take, then 2 takes for movements II and III to try a couple of options, and same again for IV and V. Amazing how different a take can feel by just changing a couple of bits and bobs.

Anyway, bit of a ramble there, but hopefully it gives a little bit of insight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMcKee View Post
Wow...8 minutes of pure pleasure. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for listening, Mike!
Old 05-18-2022, 08:35 AM

Thanks for making my day!

We have an acoustic guitar series locally. Its a small venue of about 150 seats. I've been lucky to have seen Clive a couple of times. He is beyond amazing.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell