The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 04-12-2022, 04:23 AM

Default A Wonderful Pairing of Violin and Lute

I keep coming back to this to listen again and again. (I enjoy Baroque music, but something here is just very pleasing to me.)

Notice the violinist’s bow and how bowed it is in an authentic baroque style (being more expressive but maybe less loud than a modern, more straight design). His violin is a Jacob Stainer dating to 1665.

Old 04-21-2022, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

This is lovely and so cool. As an engineer, that lute’s design is fascinating. thanks for sharing!
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 04-21-2022, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

Aimelie,

Don't know much about baroque music or instrument construction (although the lute does look a bit more complicated than my Martin), but I've always enjoyed watching/listening to individuals who were good at what they do and enjoyed doing it. It doesn't matter if they are musicians, carpenters, painters or ditch diggers, if they do it well and enjoy the task, they are artists.

The music you posted does draw you back to listen more than once, but also to watch them as they play, their facial expressions and their body language. They are good at what they do, and love doing it.

Thank you for posting, I enjoyed it very much.

john
Old 04-22-2022, 04:13 AM

So glad you guys enjoyed this. (I’m very hopeful to be able to see these two sometime in the coming year or two — my husband and I are going to lean on the musical director at our local symphony orchestra to have them come play at one of the season’s chamber music concerts).

I really get a kick out of these young people blowing off the dust on these old works and making them relevant and interesting again — also, and by example, showing the next generation that this music is beautiful and worth listening to.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN