The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-12-2021, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Alex Rodriguez is eligible for the HOF next year. He was a mess at the end, suing MLB and the Players Union as well. Probably a smart move to become a MLB analyst on tv... might help smooth out some of his past.

PEDs aside, ARod was an amazing player. When you think that Seattle had A-Rod and Griffey Jr at the same time, at least for 4 full seasons.
Arod is truly awful on TV too. Can't really stand the guy.

No for the HOF for him too.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 12-12-2021, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Truly don't care. Not like these two were the only cheaters. Not a fan of either, but there are plenty of 'roided up clowns in the HOF already, not to mention coke heads, which is illegal. Not sure why these two are any different.

I remember going to a Giants game when I moved to the bay area. Saw Bonds up close for the first time (don't really pay a ton of attention to baseball) and was laughing at how puffy and 'roided up he looked from my seats near him in the outfield. Anyone familiar with the effects of steroids knew what was up with him and many others long before it became a story. Comical.
Old 12-12-2021, 02:19 PM

Big NO from me.

Scott
Old 12-12-2021, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishtar View Post
Roger Maris. He should get in the HOF for having to endure Ford Frick’s frikkin’ asterisk. Talk about a travesty.
To some folks, Maris may look like a journeyman who had a great season. But no one played in more World Series games in the decade of the Sixties. That’s worth something if I were voting.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 12-12-2021, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post
To some folks, Maris may look like a journeyman who had a great season. But no one played in more World Series games in the decade of the Sixties. That’s worth something if I were voting.
Roger Maris was a terrific player who was unfortunately type cast by one remarkable season. He broke The Babe's' single season home run record and deserved full honors for that accomplishment. What a lot of folks don't realize or have forgotten is that in addition to the home run record and MVP awards he garnered in 1961, he also was The American League MVP and a gold glove winner the previous season in 1960. He wasn't just a slugger but a good all-around player, but by all accounts a guy who was uncomfortable in the media spotlight which was focused more intensely on him than any other player of his era in his home run record setting season. The fact that his career seemed to wane steadily after 1961, and ended after only 12 seasons may have more to do with Roger Maris' disenchantment with his celebrity status than his athletic ability. He's certainly more HOF eligible IMO than either Bonds or Clemens ever will be.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24

Last edited by Kerbie; 12-13-2021 at 04:54 PM.
Old 12-13-2021, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

Maris was one of a handful of players who came to the Yanks through the KC pipeline (Hector Lopez and Bud Daley being among the others). He was a nice ballplayer - .260/23/70 - not a HOFer but solid across the board, esp. his arm. As a kid I used to sit in the corner during BP and watch him uncork everything on a fly to the plate. He shunned the Yankees after being traded to St Louis and stayed away until 1978, when he hoisted the World Series flag on opening day. The wound inflicted by NY will never fully heal.
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon

Last edited by roberts; 12-13-2021 at 03:48 PM.
Old 12-13-2021, 09:30 AM

Not until they induct Pete Rose...
Old 12-13-2021, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

Gonna have a long wait, my friend....
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Old 12-13-2021, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post
No to both. And keep Rose out. When he managed the Reds, he bet against his team. Mr. Giamatti banned him for good reason, and I accept his decision.
My reason for supporting Rose, and not people like Clemons and Bond, is because his transgression was off the field. You say he bet on his team to lose. Well, he also bet on them to win, too. Furthermore, many of the games on which he was betting they'd lose, they actually won.

For me it's real simple: Rose put up the stats he did without the aid of performance enhancing substances. The only reason Clemons and McGwire and Bond put up the stats they did was because of performance enhancing substances. For that reason, I support Rose being inducted long before those other guys are...
Old 12-14-2021, 05:46 AM

No to both. Baseball needs to change, but not like this. Cheating is cheating. Bonds transformation after he left Pittsburgh was too sudden and too dramatic to be natural.
Old 12-14-2021, 06:58 AM

Agree with the "nope to both"

also Arod, that man is a massive jerk.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 12-14-2021, 09:00 AM

Nope on both.

I hope to take my grandson to Cooperstown one day. I don't want to try to explain to him why Bonds holds the home run record because he cheated, was caught cheating and still was voted into the HOF. Meanwhile, Roger Maris is not recognized.

Backstories matter.
Tacoma PR-40 (Nick Lucas Size Sitka/IR)
Tacoma PR-18Ltd (Nick Lucas Size Sitka/BRW)
Taylor 512c (Concert size Engelmann/Hog)
Eastman MD515CC Mandolin
Old 12-14-2021, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

No to both.

As far as Pete Rose is concerned, those who are against his induction (due to his “betting” for or against his team) should probably learn more of the history of betting in baseball. It was a common practice among managers and owners pretty much from the inception of “organized” ball. Roses infractions threatened to shed light on that fact, (as did the Black Sox decades prior) and his total ban reflects that fear. Pete is a hard man to like. He’s a jerk, arrogant, misogynistic and conceited. He’s also one of the greatest baseball players of all time. I find the righteous indignation towards him….silly to be kind.

Mark
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"
Old 12-14-2021, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
Arod is truly awful on TV too. Can't really stand the guy.

No for the HOF for him too.
I can't stand A-Rod. My lasting image of him is when he got in the skirmish with Jason Varitek going down the first base line. That was classic. I miss Varitek. He could really lead those pitchers from behind the plate.
Old 12-14-2021, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele1111 View Post
No to both.

As far as Pete Rose is concerned, those who are against his induction (due to his “betting” for or against his team) should probably learn more of the history of betting in baseball. It was a common practice among managers and owners pretty much from the inception of “organized” ball. Roses infractions threatened to shed light on that fact, (as did the Black Sox decades prior) and his total ban reflects that fear. Pete is a hard man to like. He’s a jerk, arrogant, misogynistic and conceited. He’s also one of the greatest baseball players of all time. I find the righteous indignation towards him….silly to be kind.

Mark
I wouldn't want to draw an equivalency between Rose and, say, John McGraw, who's in the Hall but was a suspected gambler on the game when he was active. You can make the case that McGraw should be out but this doesn't mean Rose should be in. Big difference between the emphasis on gambling in 1905, when players weren't paid regular salaries, and 1989....
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic