The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-28-2012, 09:24 AM

Default Epiphone SST Studio - Experiences?

Are there any opinions on the Epiphone SST Studio - or Gibson (the difference between the two would be interesting as well). I'm looking for a slim line acoustic to replace my Variax 700 (I'm a Keyboard player who also plays acoustic). I have a couple of high fairly quality acoustics guitar with pickups in them (Larrivee P-10 Parlor, Takamine EF341SC, Guild D-25 M). - but sound checking and fitting an acoustic guitar in the mix with a 5 piece rock band can be time consuming - and at the volume we play at I just don't feel I'm in control of the 'microphonic effect' of the whole band playing through my guitar - even with feedback busters).

For a couple of years I have settled with the Variax 700 Acoustic, strangely enough I use a Fishman Aura for realism and a GE7 EQ to pull out some of the midrange 'honk'.

I can't really tell from the Youtube video's what these guitars sound like.

Does anyone have any experiences with them?
Old 05-17-2022, 02:24 PM

Smile sst studio

i have and i love it . i been using it in my folk rock band for many years .....its the best acoustic electric i ever owned ...it wont feed back! nanoflex preamp is good too ....has a great tone but it needs to be plugged in and its a bit heavy.....but an amazing guitar at its price point .....the only guitar like it at it price point . hope this helps
Old 05-17-2022, 08:08 PM

No experience with that guitar in particular, but I do feel that that sort of solid body acoustic stage guitar has been given a new lease on life with IR technology as you are doing with the Aura pedal.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification