The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-14-2022, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle215 View Post
Cool, I’m curious to see what you think of it. You know you need to post some pics when it comes in, right?
I will definitely post a separate NGD and comment on it. I'll also likely have a chance at some point to play it next to the original standard I played and loved, as it's owner lives close by.

I'm excited, but also a little nervous, as this is the first used guitar I've bought at this price range. I hope it really is in the "as new" condition that it listed, and I have a very specific instrument that I'm pitting it against for tone. The good news is that if it's great, I'll be super excited for the natural top and the wood binding. I love to see the naked wood.
Old 05-20-2022, 12:51 PM

Angry

man.. Im just jealous you guys have gotten to play these.. Ive only played a 00-18 maybe a couple minutes and really liked it .. would love to get my hands on a 00-18 or a ceo-7 but alas.. they are impossible to find in my neck of the woods
Old 05-20-2022, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Default UPDATE

So an update on the Custom Natural CEO-7:

It arrived on Wednesday, and well....

The Good: It sounds great -- big, articulate, crisp, and tons of headroom. You can strum it hard with no issues, but it also responds well to fingerstyle. The neck is weird as it's not a low oval, but it's V is definitely NOT as pronounced as the standard I played. I'm not familiar with all of the iterations of Martin's neck carves. It feels really comfortable.

The Neutral: It sounds different than the standard Ceo-7 I played recently. That guitar is more filled out in the bass, and thicker in the trebles. The custom sounds like it has less boom but more bite, and a bit more resonance and crispiness. But it also sounds less...refined? I wonder if the sound difference is due to the different top and/or from it being a 6 year old guitar where the wood has dried out a bit. But it still sounds excellent. Just very different...almost shocking how different it sounds.

The Bad: This guitar is headed back to the store for a number of reasons.

1. It was listed "as new" and definitely was not. Lots of light scratches, which are not that big of a deal, but some scuffs that probably could have been noted. Most importantly some finish cracks originating at 3 of the bridge corners.

2. In addition, the guitar arrived with sky high action at the 12th fret -- a little over 9/64 or .14". While there's a decent amount of saddle, it's going to be just a sliver once I get it down to 6/64. Neck relief is .006 at the 6th fret, and nut slots are fine, according to my measuring tool. The store says they ship all guitars out with 6/64 action at the 12th, so either something happened in transit, or it didn't get a setup.

3. Lastly, the guitar has a big ol dead/wolf note on fret 5 of the low E string. I play a lot capo 5, and this is going to kill a G chord. Aside from the issues above, this one kind of sealed the deal.

SO: I think I'll be on the lookout for a standard Ceo-7 instead.

But more importantly for you: if you see the guitar pop back up on their website, maybe consider the above before pulling the trigger! Or at least check out the guitar in person first.

Last edited by Luckymud; 05-20-2022 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 05-20-2022, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckymud View Post
So an update on the Custom Natural CEO-7:

It arrived on Wednesday, and well....

The Good: It sounds great -- big, articulate, crisp, and tons of headroom. You can strum it hard with no issues, but it also responds well to fingerstyle. The neck is weird as it's not a low oval, but it's V is definitely NOT as pronounced as the standard I played. I'm not familiar with all of the iterations of Martin's neck carves. It feels really comfortable.

The Neutral: It sounds different than the standard Ceo-7 I played recently. That guitar is more filled out in the bass, and thicker in the trebles. The custom sounds like it has less boom but more bite, and a bit more resonance and crispiness. But it also sounds less...refined? I wonder if the sound difference is due to the different top and/or from it being a 6 year old guitar where the wood has dried out a bit. But it still sounds excellent. Just very different...almost shocking how different it sounds.

The Bad: This guitar is headed back to the store for a number of reasons.

1. It was listed "as new" and definitely was not. Lots of light scratches, which are not that big of a deal, but some scuffs that probably could have been noted. Most importantly some finish cracks originating at 3 of the bridge corners.

2. In addition, the guitar arrived with sky high action at the 12th fret -- a little over 9/64 or .14". While there's a decent amount of saddle, it's going to be just a sliver once I get it down to 6/64. Neck relief is .006 at the 6th fret, and nut slots are fine, according to my measuring tool. The store says they ship all guitars out with 6/64 action at the 12th, so either something happened in shipping, or it didn't get a setup.

3. Lastly, the guitar has a big ol dead/wolf note on fret 5 of the low E string. I play a lot capo 5, and this is going to kill a G chord. Aside from the issues above, this one kind of sealed the deal.

SO: I think I'll be on the lookout for a standard Ceo-7 instead.

But more importantly for you: if you see the guitar pop back up on their website, maybe consider the above before pulling the trigger! Or at least check out the guitar in person first.
Interesting, I was curious how it would turn out. Sorry to hear about the issues with the guitar.
Old 05-21-2022, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndUandI View Post
man.. Im just jealous you guys have gotten to play these.. Ive only played a 00-18 maybe a couple minutes and really liked it .. would love to get my hands on a 00-18 or a ceo-7 but alas.. they are impossible to find in my neck of the woods
Yes, though I didn't play the standard Ceo-7 in a store. And then the custom I bought I never played in-person -- AND it's going back. So they are pretty hard to find locally in shops. If you see one, definitely pick it up and give it a few minutes of your time, though.
Old 05-21-2022, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Although I have approached the CEO-7 on several occasions, and love the sound...I have been put off by the pronounced "V" of the neck shape. I know many here love that neck carve, but I just can't get comfy with it. I personally would snap one up in a heartbeat if the neck shape was more of a happy medium.

But, for those who like the Mod-V, the CEO-7 is a pretty great Martin guitar!
Old 05-22-2022, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDavis View Post
Although I have approached the CEO-7 on several occasions, and love the sound...I have been put off by the pronounced "V" of the neck shape. I know many here love that neck carve, but I just can't get comfy with it. I personally would snap one up in a heartbeat if the neck shape was more of a happy medium.

But, for those who like the Mod-V, the CEO-7 is a pretty great Martin guitar!
One of the biggest bummers about the custom guitar getting sent back is that the neck profile was SO comfortable. On the standard Ceo, the V is fairly pronounced and you can feel it just picking up the guitar out of the case. The custom is a very slight V, and it feels wider at the crest. So it's somewhat thicker than the MLO, but not as sharp as the Mod-V? At least that's what it felt like in my hand.

Last edited by Luckymud; 05-22-2022 at 04:05 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion