The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-20-2022, 04:25 AM

Default Taylor 214ce (Expression System 2) - DI / Preamp pedal needed?

Hey there. Been playing in a full band for yonks, but I'm a newbie in terms of performing acoustically. I have a trio, we all sing and play (guitar x 2 and bass).
I have a Taylor 214ce which has the Expression System 2.
I'm using a Fishman Loudbox Mini, and running that directly into the PA. So it's like a little stage monitor behind me at the moment. I quite like this for rehearsals etc and a 'quicker' solution for smaller occasions.
My question is, I'd like to do away with the amp, and go straight into the desk, then have it running through a monitor in front of me. I'm looking into a suitable small monitor/powered speaker for that (recommendations appreciated), but my question is more about DI / preamp boxes.
My understanding is that, having the Expression System 2, I don't need any DI / preamp and that they'll be redundant with this particular pickup. However the more I look into it I see contradictions suggesting I do need something.
Do I need a DI or preamp? Or a balanced cable? Or none/all?
I've been looking at upgrading to a solid wood 314ce/414ce too - I believed they also use the ES2.
Thanks for any feedback in helping clear this up for me!
Old 05-20-2022, 06:55 AM

I have a Taylor 214ce with the current version of the ES2 as well, and have used it in a number of amplification setups. The short answer is that you do not absolutely need a preamp since the ES2 includes an onboard preamp internally. The signal is more than sufficiently strong, and you can somewhat adjust the output level using the volume control on the guitar. Similarly, you have treble and bass controls on the guitar so you can do some basic EQing (is that a word?) no matter what you are plugging into. Also, the impedance that the guitar sends out seems to be compatible with most amps and mixing consoles from what I understand so a DI is not needed for that purpose (as it may be for some transducers such as K&K).

That being said, while you may not need a preamp or DI to get an acceptable sound, you may decide that you like the additional EQ flexibility and other sound enhancements that some preamps provide - compressor, high pass filter, reverb, mute button, boost, etc. I have a couple of different preamps that I use depending on the situation, and I almost always use one in my rig for added flexibility and features. On the other hand, I have done some open mic type events where I was given a guitar cable to plug into some type of "mystery system" and I sounded just fine. YMMV
Old 05-20-2022, 07:07 AM

Thanks Carl. Appreciate the response!
Old 05-20-2022, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerhart View Post
Hey there. Been playing in a full band for yonks, but I'm a newbie in terms of performing acoustically. I have a trio, we all sing and play (guitar x 2 and bass).
I have a Taylor 214ce which has the Expression System 2.
I'm using a Fishman Loudbox Mini, and running that directly into the PA. So it's like a little stage monitor behind me at the moment. I quite like this for rehearsals etc and a 'quicker' solution for smaller occasions.
My question is, I'd like to do away with the amp, and go straight into the desk, then have it running through a monitor in front of me. I'm looking into a suitable small monitor/powered speaker for that (recommendations appreciated), but my question is more about DI / preamp boxes.
My understanding is that, having the Expression System 2, I don't need any DI / preamp and that they'll be redundant with this particular pickup. However the more I look into it I see contradictions suggesting I do need something.
Do I need a DI or preamp? Or a balanced cable? Or none/all?
I've been looking at upgrading to a solid wood 314ce/414ce too - I believed they also use the ES2.
Thanks for any feedback in helping clear this up for me!
The problem with doing that is you end up needing a seperate mix for your monitor and it will be very inconvienient to tweek your volume to suit your needs. It also increases the complexity of your entire PA setup, so that's an issue.

You may want to consider using something like a Cube EX that can serve as a wedge monitor for you and then run the DI output on to the PA. That would depend on how much of the rest of your bandmates you need to hear.

The nice thing about the CUBE EX is it can also be stand mounted to use as a perfectly acceptable small PA for solo use.

Last edited by Rudy4; 05-20-2022 at 07:17 AM.
Old 05-20-2022, 07:54 AM

No, you do not need a DI box for that guitar. However, you may find it useful to use a pedal that has additional EQ abilities, or imaging (Aura), or other features (like a boost or FX loop (Radial PZ Pre).
You definitely don't want to use a balanced cable - the output on the guitar is not balanced (as the old ES1 was).

Any powered monitor will contain the whole monitor mix - meaning you will hear the other instruments/vocals/etc, but that's probably what you want. Lots of choices for wedge floor monitors (these days most people use the same 10" or 12" PA speakers they might also use on a pole for main sound.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 05-20-2022, 08:19 AM

Thanks for these tips guys - really appreciate it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion