The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-17-2022, 01:36 PM

Default Newbie to Wireless - Help me get started

OK so I am a solo acoustic performer and would like to start incorporating some wireless gear into the mix but don't have the first clue about this stuff. The first step would be a wireless connection to replace my guitar to speaker cable. What should I get that's moderately priced and easy to use? After that, whay would you recommend? Wireless mic? Headset mic so I can walk around and play? Open to suggestions.
Old 05-17-2022, 05:59 PM

Questions:

What problem are you seeking to solve?
What are you trying to achieve?
What guitar/pickup do you have?
What are you plugging it into?
What kind of gigs do you do?
How much do you want to spend?
Old 05-17-2022, 08:26 PM

I'm with Shufflebeat on this one...more questions than answers. Price/budget is relative. "Cheap" Amazon guitar wireless setups in ways are better than the X-Vive models. For XLR to XLR, I own and have used X-Vive as well as the Alkaline battery powered Boss units. The Boss ones are a bit more "noisy." For wireless mics, I find the AKG [Perception] units for around $200 to be every bit as good as those costing three times as much.
Old 05-18-2022, 12:01 AM

There are many wireless headset combos. Take a look into Thomann website, you’ll find them from 50,- to 1.000,- USD, probably most of them useable. I wouldn’t buy those from Amazon.

Acoustic guitar might be not that easy if you have an onboard preamp. In this case the wireless system often creates noise. You should try it out in a music store.
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 05-18-2022, 01:48 AM

I am using Line 6, Sennheiser and Boss transmitters in various situations.

My favorite is the Boss WL 20 who has the best battery life by far and can charge both transmitters with a single USB cable.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-18-2022, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

I was looking to replace cable with wireless and, on recommendation from other forum members, bought this:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

which has worked fine with the 3 acoustics I have pickups in (2 active, 1 passive). I can't hear a difference between wireless and cable.
Old 05-18-2022, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
Questions:

What problem are you seeking to solve?
What are you trying to achieve?
What guitar/pickup do you have?
What are you plugging it into?
What kind of gigs do you do?
How much do you want to spend?
No problems...just would be nice to be able to not have a guitar cord and be able to move about freely as I play.

Trying to be more interactive with he folks I play for

My main guitars are Cole Clark and Martin with active pickups

I plug into a some effects pedals and then into my speaker (EV30M)

I do small to medium bar/restaurant gigs

Want to spend $100-300
Old 05-18-2022, 10:20 AM

Check out these threads for a dollop of information quicker than waiting for current posts to trickle in

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=607422
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=641685

I will be reading eagerly to see what you find.

Buying and trying different devices can rapidly lead you down a rabbit hole. But it can be fun.
Old 05-18-2022, 01:35 PM

Go to a good music store and ask about a wireless unit for your guitar - take your guitar and try it in the store - I use a Line6 G50 digital wireless unit for my electric guitars and I'll have to admit I have not noticed any difference in the guitars tone between that wireless unit and a high quality cord - certainly no difference that would matter in a live, full band mix. The other guitarist in my electric band also uses a wireless unit and we've never had any cross-talk or interference with passing Taxi's, club manager walkie talkie interference when they talk to the kitchen from FOH etc. There may be some out there with dog-hearing level ears, I'm not one of those, but I can tell you no one has ever complained about how my guitar sounds through the wireless v. the cord (including bandmates at rehearsals). Talk to a knowledgeable sales person at your local indie music store, try one yourself, see what you hear.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification