The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-12-2022, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

Default Fender 68 Vibro Champ

Hey guys,

I wanted to weigh in an an amp I picked up. While I liked the Blues Jr, I gave it to my son. I have since picked up a Vox Mini Beetle, which is nice, and the amp this post is about - the Fender 68 Vibro Champ Reissue.

It is simply fantastic. I get break up, wonderful cleans, a real nice reverb, and tremolo as well. It sounds full, and is my favorite amp. I play a strat and a LP Tribute through it. It has no special bells and whistles, and it really forces you to get your playing cleaner without effects.

Anyways, a thumbs up from a home electric player.

Anyone else pick one up?
Old 04-12-2022, 04:41 PM

Been thinking about that or the 65 Princeton reissue—glad to hear you like it!
Old 04-12-2022, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

I have not had the change to audition that amp but I'm sure I'd dig it. The addition of a 10" speaker is very interesting and I'm sure it makes a big difference compared to an 8"
Old 04-13-2022, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

Hi Sal!

Congrats on the Fender 68 Vibro Champ Reissue! I have never played one but I understand they are great amps! Good for you!

This amp has a very nice sound!

- Glenn

Last edited by Glennwillow; 04-13-2022 at 08:55 AM.
Old 05-11-2022, 05:29 PM

Sal,

Hope you're still liking the Vibro Champ.

I just picked up one of these amps yesterday and I think my amp search is over (insert eyeroll from wife). It's the home amp I've been looking for.

Over the past 3 or 4 years I've gone through a few amps (fender mustang LT 25, kantana 50, fender GTX 50, fender super champ X2, Kustom Arrow 16R, Yamaha THR 10, and StageRight 15W). The modelers drove me crazy with all of the options - you can get some good tone from them, but it takes a lot of fiddling sometimes and I found myself always trying some new sound and not playing. The Super Champ X2 was a great amp with a few useful built-in effects, but the circuit board fried after about three weeks and I was hesitant to get another. The little Kustom was a sweet amp for an 8" SS. It had a nice clean tone and a real spring reverb; I regret selling it. I still have the StageRight and will probably keep it, because it is a great amp, but gets its best tones at higher volumes than I generally play.

The Vibro Champ Reverb is a bit pricey, but for the home player at relatively low volumes I feel it's hard to beat.
Old 05-12-2022, 03:32 AM
Charter Member

Good on you!

I really enjoy mine. It could be my only amp, although I am not ready to give up the Vox Mini either.

And avoid Noob mistakes. I first put my Vibro on a small amp stand, and though to myself I made a huge blunder -it sounded so thin. Put yours on the floor!
Old 05-15-2022, 08:31 PM

Now you got me thinking, Sal. I don’t need it…I really don’t, really…honest, but…

Roger

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars