The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-12-2022, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Default Apple M2 perhaps sooner than later

So the rumor about Apple's new M2 chip has been reconfirmed and we may see a couple M2 machines as soon as the June event ???

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/user/KevWind1/videos

System :
Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2021.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,,128GB 2666MHz DDR4 RAM,,2TB SSD storage,Radeon Pro 5700 XT16GB Catalina 10.15.7
Old 05-12-2022, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

The two he's predicting we see this year are the Air and the Mac Pro. Like the Mac Mini, the Air currently tops out at 16gb RAM. Unless those bump up to 32gb, I can't see myself buying either. The Mac Pro is what I'm most curious about. If they come out with a smaller and more reasonably priced version that is user-upgradable, that might be something I'd consider but even after seeing this, the Mac Studio still looks the right choice for me.
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

SoundCloud link
Spotify
YouTube
Old 05-13-2022, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
So the rumor about Apple's new M2 chip has been reconfirmed and we may see a couple M2 machines as soon as the June event ???
Thanks Kev! I'm following this subject with interest. In January I installed a 10 core CPU in my 2013 Mac Pro but I'm still limited by Thunderbolt 2 speeds. I'm looking forward to a new computer not too far down the road. I hope the M2 runs cooler so that Apple can build a quiet version of the new Mac Studio.
Old 05-13-2022, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

Never has my head spun around & around in confusion------As I await my final decision on which new Mac to buy when the announcements in June are made.

Will I later be sorry if I buy a Mac Studio with MAX chip...sorry that I did not wait until the M2 is in more units?

And if per se, the M2 is released in June..and I am able to get it in something like the Mac Studio...or Mini....with the new M2
?? I still may not know if that M2 chip will be as compatible with the music, symphonic programs...as the M1 is becoming???? OR will I have to wait again...for music programmers to once again update their programs to work with the M2?????

UGGG! Decisions!
ha ha...Luckily....I still have a few months to wait. Hopefully all will be revealed.
Old 05-14-2022, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
And if per se, the M2 is released in June..and I am able to get it in something like the Mac Studio...or Mini....with the new M2
?? I still may not know if that M2 chip will be as compatible with the music, symphonic programs...as the M1 is becoming???? OR will I have to wait again...for music programmers to once again update their programs to work with the M2?????
If your apps work with M1 they should work with M2. M2 will essentially just be a faster M1, it’s not like moving an app from Intel CPU to M1 CPU where the app has to be ported to a totally different CPU architecture
Old 05-14-2022, 07:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
Never has my head spun around & around in confusion------As I await my final decision on which new Mac to buy when the announcements in June are made.

Will I later be sorry if I buy a Mac Studio with MAX chip...sorry that I did not wait until the M2 is in more units?

UGGG! Decisions!
ha ha...Luckily....I still have a few months to wait. Hopefully all will be revealed.
Well as "bleeding" noted there is no reason to think that M2 would not work exactly like M1 as far as compatibility with software .. It's the same ARM architecture with simply more and or faster cores .. It was/is the initial switch to Apple's ARM chips, from Intel chips, that caused the issues with new code...

As far as June ? ,, hard to know exactly,,, given Apples penchant for trying to "SURPRISE" the market
So Far the rumor is a new M2 MacBook Air and a New Mac Pro... A new Mini is suspected but not in June (but one never knows).
So the question is will we see a new M2 version of the M1 Pro - M1 Max and or M1 Ultra chips for the new Mac Pro ??
And the next logical question will the new M2 chips then become available in the Studio models as well or will that be something more for in 2023 + ?

The reality is of course you can not out pace or out guess new development. But as far as "be sorry with Mac Studio with MAX chip" IMO unless you are running really large sessions 100's of tracks with lots of VI's or doing high rez. Video,, I can't see how an M1 Max chip machine would not take you years into the future .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/user/KevWind1/videos

System :
Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2021.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,,128GB 2666MHz DDR4 RAM,,2TB SSD storage,Radeon Pro 5700 XT16GB Catalina 10.15.7

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD