The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 03-16-2022, 08:18 AM

Default Guitalele

Was getting ready to go on a 2 week road trip in a packed full car. Wanted to take something along to play, didn't have room for a guitar, and I find a uke fun to play but a bit limiting for the stuff I most enjoy playing.

Decided to take a chance, what the heck, and bought a $100 Yamaha guitalele. Spent a couple days adjusting to the size, but it has exceeded expectations regarding being a fun and interesting instrument to play. I mostly play finger style blues, I like the the sound for the music I play.

Wouldn't want to play it forever at the exclusion of everything else, but it makes for a great travel companion. It has worked out well for me.
Old 03-16-2022, 08:25 AM

When I was a kid, we called these "toy guitars". I think I had the Roy Rogers version. They are a blast to play when the circumstances are right
Old 03-16-2022, 09:27 AM

When I was a kid most of the stuff made in Japan after the war was junk. Times change. Those toy guitars were made of cheap plastic, nothing like the well designed and built current instruments.
Old 03-16-2022, 09:52 AM

It's a fun and inexpensive guitar for sure. I bought it new, had some fun with it, and then sold it to buy a used Taylor Baby that serves the same purpose.

Turns out, I don't travel much with a guitar, so having the Taylor Baby which I can noodle around at the house, take it around locally, and bonus.. it sounds better than the GL-1, worked out well for me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments